Dual Cab Camping

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 17:49
ThreadID: 91455 Views:11182 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there all, Im new to this forum.
My dad has a navara dual cab 4wd and is interested in using it for camping expeditions. At the moment it just has a ute back on it with the basic tonneau cover. He is thinking about sleeping in the back of it but also wants storage aswell. They are very short in the back and he cant stretch out without the tailgate down. We want some ideas as to what can be done to make it more comfortable. There is some money available for this conversion but not enough for a slide on camper. He was thinking about changing the ute back for a tray and putting a canvas canopy on it. He would also like some extra shelta off the rear or side. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: kennchris - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:10

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:10
Why not have a look at the roof top fold out campers, Have seen a few around and they look good, then he will still have the back of the ute for all his gear, hope this helps,
Ken
AnswerID: 475997

Follow Up By: viffeRod - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 19:04

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 19:04
Thanks for that Ken but he is 73 and the roof top tent, although good isn't quite what he needs.
FollowupID: 751022

Reply By: Member - Porl - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 19:08

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 19:08
Check out this, note tailgate down.

http://www.utemanstents.com.au/

Cheers

Porl
AnswerID: 476003

Follow Up By: viffeRod - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 19:37

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 19:37
Can you store anything in the back of the ute with this mounted?
FollowupID: 751026

Follow Up By: Member - Porl - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 07:53

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 07:53
sorry no idea, I don't have one, I was looking for a site that I had bookmarked but could not find again straight away which sold a tent thing that slipped over the top of the rear window of a dual cab canopy which like the link above turned the down tailgate into sleeping length.
FollowupID: 751048

Reply By: splits - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 21:52

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 21:52
A few years ago my wife and I knew a couple with one child who spent many years touring the country in a dual cab Landrover with a home made plywood box on its tray. It was 1200 mm high with a rear opening door and a couple of caravan windows. I can't remember if it could be removed from the tray or was permanently attached with the tray as its floor. They did not have a tent attached to the rear but it would have been easy and inexpensive to have a basic one made to fit it.

A tray back on your Navara should be around 1830 mm wide and maybe as long as 1500. You should be able to fit a single bed and a fair bit of gear into something like that. The bed could even be elevated a little with slide out plastic storage boxes under it.

If you do go this way then be careful not to put too much weight on the back. If he is travelling alone then one person in the front and heaps on the tray will have the back dragging on the ground. Those cars were designed to carry five fairly heavy people in the cab with a moderate amount in the rear.

I have seen a few people using the rear seat area for storage. You can remove the seat and use the seat belt and seat mounting points as attachment points for tie down straps to secure everything.

Don't be tempted to lift the rear end with air bags. Google "dual cab chassis bending" and you will soon see why.
AnswerID: 476021

Follow Up By: landseka - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 22:40

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 22:40
"I have seen a few people using the rear seat area for storage. You can remove the seat and use the seat belt and seat mounting points as attachment points for tie down straps to secure everything."

Don't remove, and leave the rear seat out either. At least not without an engineering certificate.

Unfortunately the seat is part of the structure now just as much as the windscreen. Remove it at your own risk.

Cheers Neil
FollowupID: 751044

Follow Up By: splits - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 10:35

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 10:35
Good point Neil. I doubt if that would apply to all cars though. Many seats are little more than a flexible flat pressed metal base that are probably relying on the floor to add rigidity to them. If your car did have a stressed seat base that was adding strength to the body, a way around it could be to buy another one from a wrecker, remove the upholstery and use it as a base to build a platform to sit your gear on.
FollowupID: 751062

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 23:17

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 23:17
What about a rear awning to cover that area ?

Ironman, ARB, most of the majors have these, and you can get a 1.4m one suitable for the rear (as opposed to 2.0 or 2.5m options for side awnings).

http://www.ironman4x4.com/html/awnings_rooms.html

I am fairly sure you can get optional sides for some of them, but some light ripstop, a bit of sewing, and velcro would be an easy fix to keep any weather out if raining etc.

Cheers,
Les
AnswerID: 476029

Reply By: sweetwill - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 07:50

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 07:50
hello viffeRod.
I have a hilux duel cab with a gas tank in the tub and two 100ah batteries in there also so i know what your dad is on about, my solution was a rooftop tent for the longer trips, or a single pole tent if I'm traveling for a couple of days, And if someone is silly enough to want to come away with me I just hook on the trailer and load it,Also i have been known to take the back seat out and use the space for the engle but it appears that is illegal? Also roof racks come in very handy for that extra stuff and for running some sale track for a awning hope this helps Bill.
AnswerID: 476032

Reply By: Geoff H (Q - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 10:30

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 10:30
I bought a second hand fibreglass canopy for $100, screwed some sail track on the top, half way towards the front, and had some rope sewn into a silver tarp.

With a few poles this gave me a nice cosy spot to camp with the tailgate down and cost bugger all.

Regards
AnswerID: 476044

Follow Up By: harryopal - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 14:59

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 14:59
Canvas tends to be both hot and cold in extreme conditions. I built a fold up camper for the back of my Landcruiser using 3 ply. It has several advantages as it provides good insulation, is lightweight and is not expensive to work with.
Measure the dimensions of your tray and reduce to a scale of about 10" by 6" or whatever is relevant. Cut out a piece of cardboard as a mock up of your tray and then consider folding as an option for the way it works. For example to allow leg space you would have a sheet that would fold out from the tray and lock in position. Sides would fold up and down as needed. You can also cut `windows' into the folded up sides. Consider a box lid with sides to fit over the arrangement when it is folded for travel.
I once had a Lada and built a box sleeper for the Lada roof rack. Lid came off and was put aside as I folded out and up from the floor. The material is light so it can be managed without assistance.
My present fold up camper on the Landcruiser I call the Half Star Hotel. The roof lifts up from inside. With the steel tray sides dropped down, the drivers side opens out as a box with windows the length of the tray. This is supported partially by struts that slot from the underside of the box to the inside of the dropped side tray. Any gear in the back is moved into the side box.
The passenger side panel lifts up as a roof and is held in place with fold up struts. A cover is thrown over this and that side of the truck is used as the cooking area. My swag has the tray area to set as bed.
The rear panel is cut to open as a small door to the top of the steel rear so that I can put shopping in the back without dropping the rear metal side or back. If I am camping. the back metal drops down and the short door locks into place with the lower portion as a full door. Fold up steps for easy access. Stand up room inside.
Yours tropically, Harry
FollowupID: 751078

Sponsored Links