Review: Shotz Electrolyte Tablets

My Shop Item Rating: My Rating 4/5

A convenient way to get electrolytes. On long rides a couple of tablets can be carried in the jersey pocket for use when topping up water supplies. Last delivery arrived with two tubes damaged, but these were replaced within two days by the ExplorOz. Great service.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nigel Migraine - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 14:56

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 14:56
It'd be a damn sight cheaper (and probably better for you) if you simply ate one banana every day or two and made up some oral rehydration therapy solution using 6 teasp of sugar, half a teasp of salt and 1lt of water. You may substitute dried apricots for the banana (potassium) if you wish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_rehydration_therapy

Providing you have a normal Western diet and unless you're doing significant exercise and sweating profusely for a significant period you don't need any of this stuff anyway - and excess salt is bad for you.

How much do you sweat on a "long ride" in an air conditioned vehicle?

AnswerID: 476059

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 16:04

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 16:04
I think when Sean referred to 'Riding' and taking the tablets out of his 'Jersey' he was getting in the Tour Down Under spirit and talking about cycling not driving! I guess you can 'Explore OZ' by bicycle as well!
FollowupID: 751082

Follow Up By: Member - Sean M - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 17:15

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 17:15
Yep D-Jack, that is correct. My long rides are on a bicycle for 150 - 250 kms. Riding in Adelaide in 40 degree heat can also make you sweat a lot. You only have to look at the salt stains in your gear at the end of the day.
FollowupID: 751084

Follow Up By: Member - Terra'Mer - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 00:02

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 00:02
If you're walking 20-40kms/cycling 60-100kms a day in +30C temps with radiant heat of +50C you, at a minimum, need electrolytes everyday, if not salt tabs, for something more effective. If you're drinking more than 5ltrs of water a day then you know your salts levels can easily get dangerously low if not replaced in higher quantities than those travelling in AC

Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 751109

Reply By: get outmore - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 03:40

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 03:40
the vast majority their salt intake is massivly in excess of wahts needed

to advertise enegy drinks etc is irrasponsable

unless your regulary running marathons in which case you would be seeking expert advice

drink water none of this other over hyped crap is needed or healthy

AnswerID: 476085

Sponsored Links