Micrfibre towels

Has anyone used these towels while camping.

Are they as absorbent as advertised, and do they dry more quickly? I've heard that after a bit of use they become fairly rough.

Are they worth the money? Are there different qualities available? I have seen some on Ebay (from China) and wonder if they are just poor substitutes?

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tezza Qld - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 12:25

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 12:25
Hi Bunny

We use these towels all the time when on tour or travelling.
Have tried a few but now only use those from Sea to Summit. I think they are in WA, but the towels are available from most camping stores
We use the extra large but make sure that you air them out properly as they can smell if kept damp.

From memory they cost around the $ 35 -00 mark

Cheers Teza
AnswerID: 476106

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 13:53

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 13:53
The one's Teza mentions are the ones we sell, see link on this page in top right corner.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 751134

Reply By: olcoolone - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 12:28

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 12:28
We use micro fibre towels when travelling and carry them in our overnight bags...... they take up less room,re dry in 1/10 the time and are more water absorbent.

I'm sure there would be different grades and quality and like most things the more you pay the better the product.

We use the "Sea to Summit" brand available from most of the higher end out doos shops.

http://www.wildearth.com.au/summit-towel-microfibre-towel-small-p-968.html

Well worth the money.

We use micro fibre towels for other applications because to ease of use and function.
AnswerID: 476107

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 13:54

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 13:54
The one's listed here are the one's we sell in the ExplorOz shop.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 751135

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 12:43

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 12:43
Hi Bunny,

We started using them for their quick-dry qualities and that worked well.
However, although they have good absorbency they tend to "grab" when drying the body after showering especially when trying to dry your back. Somewhat uncomfortable. Don't know the brand but they were not cheap.

Wife is still using hers but I have gone back to the regular fleecy towel.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 476108

Reply By: Member - Royce- Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 13:28

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 13:28
Have tried a few. Nasty uncomfortable things to use. If you can manage to fit in luxurious full sized towels.... take them!
AnswerID: 476110

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 13:58

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 13:58
Personally, I love microfibre towels, but have only been using the ones we sell (as linked at top of this page) - they are the Sea to Summit ones others have mentioned.

My kids prefer them to beach towels for after swimming in our pool as they are so absorbant and soft, you know kids, too lazy to do anything properly and always rushing off to the next thing, so mine get used all the time, not just for trips.

I find them a pain to pack away into the miniature bags supplied - you need to be a packing engineer, but that's the only drawback I see.

I also take them to the pool for my twice weekly workouts. They don't get heavy and don't soak my other things when I pack my bag to come home and dries quickly.

I tried using the small size towels at first, but have upgraded to the XL and now take them on all our trips too. Totally converted.

Hope this helps, Michelle

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 476112

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 15:43

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 15:43
I've been using them for a couple of years and as others say they can start to smell if not aired out properly. Usually carry 2 of them. I find that the material drags on your skin and doesn't slide like ordinary towels but dries you off very well. Like Michelle says getting them back into the mesh bags they come in is a pain. I now use those small waterproof kit bags you can get from camping stores. Also use a larger one to store my rain coat in as well.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 476116

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 19:05

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 19:05
You need to remember that if rolled up damp, they can harbour bacteria (and therefore smell), as I found when travelling thru Bali and using them to dry off the local water. A rinse in some diluted disinfectant before wringing out and packing away is a good idea.
Cheers
Gerry
FollowupID: 751154

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 16:35

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 16:35
I take them for long walks where swimming is involved. I don't like the feel on the skin, but they do a good job and are very light and small.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 476117

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 19:30

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 19:30
Another vote for the Sea to Summit brand ones in the largest size.
We also use some cheap ones for general duties when camping but keep the Sea to Summit ones for personal use.
AnswerID: 476127

Reply By: Rangiephil - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 21:09

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 21:09
I have used them extensively in the outback. They dry quickly and as said they tend to stick to you.
BUT DO NOT EVER DROP ONE IN THE GRASS. It takes hours and hours to pick every little stick, blade and seed from them.
I have kathmandu and Fitness First Which are cheap but OK.

Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 476140

Reply By: Member - johnat - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 21:15

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 21:15
Simple answers ... Yes, yes, yes and yes! (and probably!)

yes, absorbent (very).
yes, dry very quickly.
yes, worth the money (for good quality).
yes, different qualities.
probably lower quality from China.

AnswerID: 476141

Reply By: Pebble - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:08

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:08
They do seem to dry quicker, they seem more absorbent, and they are a lot more compact than normal towels. But they do stick to your skin like people say, so you have to dry yourself a bit differently than a normal towel...not as much of a rubbing motion but more of a patting down motion.

I like them my Husband doesn't.

If you're really worried about weather you'll like them or not you could always cut it up and use as a microfibre cloth for cleaning around the hosue...or I guess you could go buy some microfibre cleaning cloths from Bunnings, try drying your leg with one or something just to see if you'd like it.
AnswerID: 476320

Reply By: Bunny - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 17:23

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 17:23
Many thanks to you all for your repllies...much appreciated.
AnswerID: 476484

Sponsored Links