Holland track length

Hello all. I will be travelling the holland track in WA in a couple of weeks time, Hyden to Coolgardie. Can anyone give me a definitive distance from fuel stop to fuel stop from Hyden to Coolgardie? I will be riding a motorbike, I have an on road range of about 440 km at the moment, that will be a lot less on the dirt. I have the capability to increase the range but I want to know by how much. Any help would be much appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 17:47

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 17:47
Suggest you go to the WA section of the Treks section here and access the Holland Track page - the Eoz staff have entered heaps of relevant info.
AnswerID: 476119

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 17:59

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 17:59
Hyden to Coolgardie via Lake King Rd to intersection of the Holland Track, then the Holland Track to Coolgardie is about 301 according to Hema map Goldfields, Esperance and the Southern Coast of WA.

Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 476121

Reply By: member - mazcan - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 20:40

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 20:40
hi grunta 1970
according to the holland track book i have here it is 354km's from hyden town to coolgardie on the holland track
the wave rock caravan pk 08 98805022
tag along tours hyden local farmer dobbie graham for imfo 08 98807024
and for about $15 you can buy the holland track book which will be be very usefull in you knowing where you are at while travelling through there including all the history and locallities along the way well worth the money
the condition of the track at this time of the year is generaly very hot hard dry and dusty and your bike will roll along with little resistance if you can stay in the wheel tracks there will be several old bogholes along the way in the hol
lows to watch out for
if you are going alone or even in company then it is very advisible at this time of the year and at any time for safety reasons to notify some one at both ends of your intended departure and arrivals times then if you dont arrive they will activate a search and resque the hyden police are used to this and have always been helpfull in this respect
a roo or emu could cut across in front of you and put you off your bike they are out there
or maybe have mechanical problems
thats a fact and you will need a sensible quantity of water incase of unfore seen trouble and some food to servive on it would be a very challenging walk in this summer heat and you wont last long with out water and food
afair know not many people travel that road at this time of the year
the manager at the hyden caravan park is always a handy source of imfo and usually helpfuland the hyden police
cheers hope this is of use
enjoy the ride and have a safe journey
barry
AnswerID: 476135

Follow Up By: grunta1970 - Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 05:52

Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 05:52
Thanks mazcan, much appreciated
FollowupID: 751177

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 14:58

Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 14:58
hi grunta
also forgot to say avoid where possible from riding through any of the bog holes if there is water in them as the red/gray clay is extremely sticky and greasy and clogges on to your tyres and could cause you to fall off
hyden had over 4inches of rain during december so there is a chance that there will be a bit of water in the bog holes and some rock holes/pools and hence roos and emu in the vacinitys but with this hot weather will be drying up at a fast rate
cheers
FollowupID: 751209

Reply By: Cheeky1 - Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 21:37

Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 21:37
Grunta 1970 I would strongly recommend doing it in the cooler months and not doing it alone. It doesn't look very isolated when you look at it on the map but it is.
We tend use the term 'track' fairly loosely these days but this is truly a track. As previously mentioned there are bog holes and they will loom up on you very quickly on a bike and the track can weave around the wooded sections very close to trees. One little mishap and you won't see any help for quite some time. We were out there for 3 days late in Aug a few years ago and didn't see anyone the whole time we were there.
Cheeky1
AnswerID: 476239

Follow Up By: grunta1970 - Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 22:27

Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 22:27
Thank you for the concern Cheeky, it is definitely appreciated. I guess I am quite happy taking more of a calculated risk than most people on here. I love adventurous trips on my motorbike, and as long as it isnt just plain stupid, which I think Holland Track in feb on my own isnt, I should be ok. I take as many precautiions as I can, plenty of water, extra fuel, PLB, etc. Sure, there is a possibility of maybe falling off, breaking bones, not seeing anyone for quite a while, but for me, if I took all of those calculated risks out of the equation I might as well just travel the eyre highway to...wherever, nice and safe, That sort of travelling bores me to tears.

Oh, and the Holland track was only plan B, plan A is to travel the GCR to Yulara, Alice Springs, then south, head over to Cape Arid, Esperance, Perth. That trip is still on the cards also. I have done all the preparation for both, apart from permits for GCR, which shouldnt be a problem. I will leave it till the last minute to make a final decision. Thanks
FollowupID: 751255

Sponsored Links