DP chip

Submitted: Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 18:43
ThreadID: 91492 Views:5351 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Navarra d22 2010 model And have been told that the DP chip will give me more grunt and fuel economy. I have also been told that it isn't worth the money. Could someone who has had experience of it please give me some advice on the subject.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: skulldug - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 19:18

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 19:18
David,

I have a DP Chip in my Prado 150 and love it. The power and torque improvements are as they claim or better depending on what setting you use. The guy that tested mine had done others and said that every one he had measured was the same.

I can't comment on fuel economy as I had mine done at the same time as the bull bar etc.

I can't comment on them being worth the money. That's an individual thing. Might be better to buy two Great Wall 4x4s for the price of your Navarra.

DP offer a warranty on engine and drive train and I think you can return it if you dont like it. They also answer the phone if you call them. That has to be worth something.

Cheers

Skull
AnswerID: 476126

Follow Up By: Member - David P8 - Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 18:10

Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 18:10
Thanks for that Skulldug. I will definitely be looking further into it. My Navarra was second hand and good value having just been run in. We have bought a Track Trailer Topaz and it tows pretty well behind the Navarra but a bit more grunt would be good.
Ciao,
Dave
FollowupID: 751230

Reply By: member - mazcan - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 19:44

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 19:44
hi david
basicly its not realy true that you get better fuel economy in real terms as such
but what you do get
with a chip in reality
is more power kw's and nm's out of the same amount of fuel being used but with increased grunt and less down shifting on hills
this makes it a more pleasant a trip and driving experience compared to always having to change down on the slightest hills when towing where as with chip you will cruise over most of them and enjoy the drive
i cant give figures in relation to the navara but if you google it i guarrente the facts will come up either in explore oz threads or some other sight or maybe niissan navara forum try igogle and see
depending on what you want to tow and how much towing but
even then the vehicle is usually more delightfull to drive at all times with a chip
cheers
barry
AnswerID: 476129

Follow Up By: Member - David P8 - Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 18:17

Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 18:17
Sounds good Mazcan. The more I hear the more I,m interested. We are towing a Track Trailer Topaz so about more grunt will be good
cheers,
David
FollowupID: 751231

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 19:52

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 19:52
I have a taipan chip and it lasted 80 klm before shutting down the engine. The computer thought that the turbo spiked and shut down to limp mode. After speaking to them he said that he was having some troubles with the chip and is working on fixing the problem. When it was working it did give more power and brought the turbo in at 1850 rpm instead of 2200 rpm. Still waiting for him to fix bug, but he will refund outlay if I want. Also had 3" exhaust fitted.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 476130

Reply By: the redbacks - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 19:55

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 19:55
Hi David,
I had a DP chip fitted last September on my Navara D40 2.5 Manual, The main reason was to help with towing my Lotus off Rd van, definitely more KW & torque & it did lower my fuel consumption by approx 2 lts per 100 klm, so for me, not a waste of money.

Cheers
Redbacks
AnswerID: 476131

Reply By: Member - Michael A (ACT) - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 22:49

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 22:49
I had a DPchip installed by a dealer in town here and I thought that it gave me a slight upgrade in torque and Power which helped fuel economy by allowing my right foot to rest up a bit.
A couple of years down the track I was not a happy choppy in the way the vehicle was performing so I phoned a company n Berrima NSW that does diesel tuningl (they r the dudes who manufacture the DPchip l. I took it down to them for a checkup and found that it had not been installed correctly so they did a full chip upgrade and dyne test.

What a Fantastic improvement 35% increase in torque and 25% increase in power over the settings I drove in with. I would say a remarkable difference was experienced on the way home and ever since I have found it to b well worth it

Regards

M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 476150

Sponsored Links