Mixing calcium batteries in caravan

Submitted: Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 21:25
ThreadID: 91497 Views:3355 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

I just had one of my Delkor DC31 100AH batteries die on me yesterday. It had a good run as I bought them both in 2004 so it was to be expected. Both Delkor's have been on a mega pulse since day one. I have a spare Century N70ZZL which is in good condition and was wondering if I could pair it with the Delcor for use in the caravan. I have read other posts that say both batteries should be the same type and also age of the batteries are a factor.

The bottom line is that I have not much to lose using these batteries together if I can and when the next battery fails I shall buy another 2 Delcor DC31 100AH.

All I want to know is can there be any issues using these batteries together.
I am using a C-Tek 25 amp battery charger in the caravan.
Bill
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 23:33

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 23:33
Hi Bill,

The Delkor DC31 is a deep cycle battery, as it should be for your caravan, whilst the Century N70ZZL is a starting battery. Using a starting battery in a deep cycle application will significantly reduce its life.

Also, charging the dissimilar batteries in parallel is not good as the C-Tek charger is unable to properly operate its multi-stage program.

That being said, operating the dissimilar batteries in parallel will work, just not for a good time. If as you say, it is only a stop-gap solution and you have not much to lose, then go for it. It certainly will not blow up!

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 476153

Sponsored Links