internet scam

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 17:48
ThreadID: 91531 Views:4564 Replies:8 FollowUps:29
This Thread has been Archived
i have put my gt falcon on sale and had some replys but only leave a email for contact.what sort of scam could this be,i will not reply to someone that wouldnt give a proper contact
or send a message like that cheers warren
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ken triton - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 18:03

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 18:03
Hi Warren,
If they can't contact you by phone just ignore them, they will give you the story that they will pay your price and organise a courier to pick up the car once they have deposited the money in your paypal account but you have to pay the freight to the courier prior to pick up or something like that. That's where it ends. I have just listed a car for sale and had 4 people want to contact me by email only, this all happened within half an hour of listing the add. They must be scanning the sites for any new adds.
My best advise is to deal in person only. Be very careful.
Regards
Ken
AnswerID: 476313

Follow Up By: Member - warren G (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 18:21

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 18:21
thanks ken. but whats the deal do they pocket the freight money.cheers warren
FollowupID: 751333

Follow Up By: ken triton - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:08

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:08
That's what I've heard Warren, I am not 100% sure. I just can't understand why anyone would purchase a car, caravan sight unseen unless it was a scam. I always like to be able to look someone in the eye and shake hands on any deal that involves large amounts of money.
Good luck selling the car
Regards
Ken
FollowupID: 751339

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 20:28

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 20:28
Hi Warran, Why do you sell on the Internet if you don't want to reply by email. I have bought several cars sight unseen and had no problems. There is no scam if you have the money. But if you let the car on a truck without the money it's stolen. As for the money going into your pay pal account the car does not leave your side until its showing in your bank, that simple. No rip off and if it is then they get nothing for there trouble, unless your a fool (Not saying you are) and let the car go before you get the money. People sell cars on ebay every day and there is no looking at it and is sold through a email. I don't like people having my phone number so email is the only way to contact you. If some one is scamming you they will stand out, and you will see no money, but if you see the money car sold.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 751350

Follow Up By: Member - warren G (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 21:09

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 21:09
read the post properly and you might get the point.email is good for some things ,even car boat vans .but as i said i am selling a classic car not just a lany or patrol that might have some extras or not.i have also bought another got some time ago on ebay after gaining plenty of pictures and speaking to seller,he wanted me to pay by pay pal and for $700 would transport to melbourne.i said i will hire a truck and pay cash on pick up to cut a long storey short if i didnt have 2 of my kids with me i would of smashed him .we came to a mutual agreement not to go ahead the deal the car was not fixable.i am not by any means a virgin when it comes to selling or buying but just wanted to know what the latest scam was.cheers warren
FollowupID: 751356

Follow Up By: Member - warren G (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 21:14

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 21:14
sorry but i should have read my post before submitting but i am sure you get the drift
FollowupID: 751357

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 00:57

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 00:57
So Warren, it's not seller beware it's buyer beware in your case. If buying through Ebay you would have buyer protection against misleading information and was not as described, so you would get your money back.
As for paypal, I would not want to give my bank details to any buyer to deposit money into. Paypal is a third party which you can trust and have funds transferred from one person to another without either knowing their bank details, a very safe way as it is a bank itself. You have an account with them and remove the funds from your paypal account to your own bank then give them the goods.
Oh, I did read your post properly, and so what if it's a classic car, no difference to a lany or patrol as you call them. A car is a car no matter what sort or what year, in the end it's just a car.
I used to get email saying they are from paypal and sent them on to paypal to investigate them, no more boggy emails. I get them from telstra and bigpond as well, report them and they stop. I even get them saying my bank account has been accessed but don't even bank with that bank. Use common sense and check where the email was sent from and that will tell you if it is a con or not. Any email that comes from hotmail, yahoo, gmail etc are con's as no ID is required to get these email address. Only bigpond, optous and the like are safe as you have to produce a drivers licence and other ID to get an account so you can be found easily.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 751380

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 08:57

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 08:57
I have to agree with Andy on the emails point. It is the way a lot of people communicate these days. An email wont hurt provided you stick to the motto of: cash in MY band account and then I will release the car. No matter if you Mother is dying. They pay for cartage as well.

Consider using paypal to further distance yourself from identity thief's and to give you more protection.

Just another point. When we purchased the Toyota the seller endorsed the registration papers and then took a copy. Not a bad idea.

Phil
FollowupID: 751394

Follow Up By: Rob! - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 12:45

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 12:45
I would be wary of selling a car thgough paypal because they have "buyer protection". Basically the buyer can "cancel" the transaction and paypal will withdraw the money from your account.

.. and you can't trust Paypal because if something goes wrong you can't even speak to a person. Everything is done through email and you will simply get some computer generated responses.
FollowupID: 751415

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 13:07

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 13:07
They also protect the seller.

The buyer cannot cancel the transaction without Paypal's dispute resolution procedures being followed and then it's Paypal who does it. No way does the buyer have that authority.

You can speak to Paypal. I have spoken to Paypal on several occasions. Some issues resolved in our favour and a few in the sellers favour.

There is an easy way to do the exchange. Face to face with CASH or go to a bank and do the funds tfansfer. That's what we did. No money = no keys.

You can use emails, telephone, snail mail or carrier pidgeons to set the deal up but only finish with full payment, face to face. Sure, accept a depsit but do NOT hand anything over. Make sure of the conditions of a deposit also. That they are in your favour.

Phil
FollowupID: 751418

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 14:27

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 14:27
Rob, The buyer protection is through ebay not paypal. Paypal is only a way to send money to another person without that person knowing your bank details. They can only take what's in the paypal account, not your bank account, you must deposit funds into paypal, paypal can not access your bank account without your permission. As Phil has said you can speak to paypal and they do not sent computer generated responses.
And Ken if you pay a courier the freight cost that would have to be paid by the buyer before the courier is even contacted, as said before if you don't have the money you don't do anything.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 751431

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 14:28

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 14:28
Whether Paypal's protection is adequate for big ticket items I couldn't tell you but twice they've recovered small amounts for me. One was a scam (despite his very good seller feedback), the other a partial-delivery of goods - both from Ebay.

It's utter nonsense that you can't speak to a person on the phone at PP - you can, at any time of the day or night, 7 days a week. I've done it. During business hours in my experience you will get an 'Aussie' but out of hours you may get someone in the USA or elsewhere. I've had nothing but good service from their customer service reps (unlike Ebay, which seems to employ people with no decision making ability and minimal initiative - my experience only). Buyers cannot 'cancel' a transaction after paying through Paypal, they can only commence a dispute, and PP will then ask the seller to respond.

FollowupID: 751432

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 14:40

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 14:40
Partly right Andys. Ebay BUYER protection only applies to purchases on the USA site. Paypal provides to financial protection for both buyers and sellers here. Also, if you have registered a credit card with Paypal as many buyers do the transactions are automatic, like any online card purchase. Disputes to recover funds then require Paypal and bank action.
FollowupID: 751433

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 14:42

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 14:42
X2

Phil
FollowupID: 751434

Follow Up By: Rob! - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 16:05

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 16:05
Ok, well one of the scams is (or was)
1. You advertise a car for sale,
2. They send you the amount plus extra for shipping, through paypal.
3. They ask you to send the extra to the "shipping merchant" by western union.
4. They never pick up the car and you never hear from them again.
5. They cancel the transaction because the item was not delivered.
6. Paypal removes the money from your paypal account. (remember they have your credit card details.)

They have now closed that loophole for cars and vans etc, but there are many ways that both buyers and sellers are scammed with paypal.

So as I said, be alert (but not alarmed)

R.
FollowupID: 751443

Follow Up By: Member - warren G (VIC) - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 16:32

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 16:32
thanks rob .that is the answer i was looking for,but as what happens alot on this site is the original question gets a bit hijacked with people pushing some piont of view that has got nothing to do with the post .then insinuating that the person posting a question is some sort of fool for asking in the first place .but a supose after all people do seem to get a bit taller/wider /tougher /wiser/and patronising when behind the safty of a computer.the irony of all that is internet scaming behind the safty of a computer is what the post was all about anyway .cheers warren
FollowupID: 751449

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 16:56

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 16:56
Steady down mate.

You implied in your original post that you would not answer an email as if it was a scam. That is exactly what I responded to. Your post was a bit vague mate. Sorry.

I said:
I have to agree with Andy on the emails point. It is the way a lot of people communicate these days. An email wont hurt provided you stick to the motto of: cash in MY bank account and then I will release the car. No matter if your Mother is dying. They pay for cartage as well.

Next time it would help a lot if you make your point or question clearer and you will get a direct answer. You left it wide open and we all just responded to what we interpreted or understood from your post.

Rob just described one way that emails are used in scamming. There have been many variations on his theme but the lesson still stands. That was another interpretation of your post.

And that is why people said no matter HOW you communicate do not hand over anything until you have been paid in full. That includes any outlay such as payment for cartage or a transfer through American Express. As was said by many.

Phil
FollowupID: 751453

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 17:40

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 17:40
Warren, You are a very aggressive man as for your first reply to my follow up: "read the post properly and you might get the point.email is good for some things ,even car boat vans .but as I said i am selling a classic car not just a lany or patrol that might have some extras or not.i have also bought another got some time ago on ebay after gaining plenty of pictures and speaking to seller,he wanted me to pay by pay pal and for $700 would transport to melbourne.i said i will hire a truck and pay cash on pick up to cut a long storey short if i didn't have 2 of my kids with me i would of smashed him .we came to a mutual agreement not to go ahead the deal the car was not fixable.i am not by any means a virgin when it comes to selling or buying but just wanted to know what the latest scam was.cheers warren"
Now all I was doing was pointing out that Paypal itself is not the scam. But people try to use Paypal to scam. Your thread was not hijacked it was very vague to start with. And again with your last post it seams you sort your problems out with violence. Quote" if i didn't have 2 of my kids with me i would of smashed him ".
If you write a thread you should make yourself clearer at the start and not get upset because someone has interpreted a very vague post in a different way.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 751459

Follow Up By: Member - warren G (VIC) - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 18:40

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 18:40
yes you are right during my life a have been aggressive and sometimes violent aswell only ever in self defence,but i dont like being referred to as a fool even if it is thinly hidden behind a bracketed comment,defending ones self being written verbal or fisical in some circumstances is not always a bad thing,my wife and children have been vary comforted in the knowledge that i have capability to look after them whether it be financial or moral support and have never worried about walking down a dark ally if i was there to protect them.the thing is you have know idea of the poor socio ecomic back ground that i dragged myself out of to obtain the position that i have now yet you seem to think you have a right to make personal comments and then winge if someone responds in kind .anyway enough said on this topic.
FollowupID: 751462

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 18:55

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 18:55
I hope that you don't think you a fool Warren.

And I will say that the written word is very easy to put down on paper without any ambiguities especially when one isn't an English professor. Even a word miss spelt can totally change the mood or essence of the article.

Ask Tony or the red capped lizard. "time to move one" was misconstrued and a riot explodes.

Phil
FollowupID: 751463

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 18:57

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 18:57
Damn Damn damn.

I meant the first sentence to read "I hope that you don't think that we consider you a fool. Warren".

AAARRRGGGHHH

Phil
FollowupID: 751464

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 00:13

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 00:13
Quite right Rob, the Western Union scam has been around for years. More recently scammers have tried impersonating Paypal via email. I've had one of those. Was pretty obviously a scammer so I reported to Paypal who confirmed as much. If in doubt Google will usually confirm your suspicions.

Here is one, possibly what Joe was alluding to? Paypal is an innocent party, their good name is simply being used to lull unwary buyers and sellers.
Car Sales scam
FollowupID: 751506

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 18:13

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 18:13
Warren,

We sold a car recently via on-line advertising. We used three advertisers, all big and reputable. They ALL said do not respond to email only contacts because the risk of scam is too high.

Phone or nothing, mate.

Cheers

Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 476314

Follow Up By: Member - warren G (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 18:25

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 18:25
exactly right frank. cheers warren
FollowupID: 751334

Reply By: Evelyn H - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:00

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:00
They tell u they've deposited say $22,000 instead of $20,000 and can you please transfer the $2000 back as soon as possible.
AnswerID: 476316

Reply By: wizzer73 - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:08

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:08
I sold a motorbike on gumtree recently (to a legit person). On the first day it was advertised I received 2 emails saying they would pay more than i advertised. I replied to both saying I had a higher offer and if they could beat it I would consider their offer. They both replied with higher prices. I kept on going with the same replies until the price was about 3 times the original. Both of them gave up. Fun while it lasted. lol

wizzer
AnswerID: 476319

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:09

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:09
Hi Warren, i actually always try to keep contact to e-mail only as it gives me time to check up on people and reply when i have time, but one thing i do is leave my full contact details numbers, adress ect with the e-mail so people see that i am not trying to scam them, i also request them to return more details other than e-mail adress only and it has paid off also as as i have nearly been scammed around $28,000 grand but smelled a rat and they would not give me an adress, i then started checking and found some nasty backgrounds ...... and yes i rang and spoke to him ........ so please dont only go by the phone contact being the be all/end all as it simply aint ...... mobile numbers can even be stolen and are NOT reliable at all .... replying to an e-mail does not make it sold and you may well lose a good sale, simply reply and request more info and go from there, dont shut the door to quick eh, some people do have a genuine reason to do that...
Cheers
Joe
AnswerID: 476321

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 21:19

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 21:19
Oh and i dont use Pay Pal and if i can avoid it never will, itself is one big scam ...... ever since Telstra jumped in bed with the Trading Post it shifted it off shore to India and it has been rife with scams all linking somehow back to shifty PayPal scams ........ very handy eh
FollowupID: 751358

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 08:14

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 08:14
Paypal a scam??...what rot!!!!...Even used by EO as a payment option. Paypal is one
of the worlds largest transfer companies..owned by eBay. They didnt become that
way by being a scam. I, & millions, use it often......oldbaz.
FollowupID: 751392

Follow Up By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 11:20

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 11:20
Paypal only way to go IMHO, never had any problems. I use it weekly
FollowupID: 751407

Follow Up By: Evelyn H - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 13:59

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 13:59
I love the texts I received after advertising my motorbike. Very obvious that it was a scam or from an extremely illiterate child.

I want bye you motcycle. Is still for sale! Will pay more if can have now. Working ofshore, can put bank in money today. email me on #44%1432@king^&888 as phone not work out here.

FollowupID: 751427

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 14:56

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 14:56
Joe

I also feel that you are mixing ebay up with Paypal. Yes there is an internal company connection for sure. But Ebay is an on line version of trading post so naturally Trading post wills ay that you did the right thing.

Paypal is a financiakl third party go-between. The provide protection for both sides of the transaction. We with another user name hadve done just on 400 transactions with every one going through Paypal. Some paid for good at non ebay places as well as the majority being ebay purchases and sales. Absolutely nothing but fair and honest treatment when human intervention is required.

Evelyn

We have never recived any for ebay sales but the "every day" ones really make me laugh. But beware. And this was said on TV by a "nerd". Opening emails, even in a "Preview" mode, can put your computer at risk. Simply preiewing or opening them can trigger a macro to infest your PC and yuo will never know where it came from. Turn Prevew OFF and use a "properties" function (right click on email) to view any suspect emails in a raw data format which will not trigger any macro.

Phil
FollowupID: 751436

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 21:33

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 21:33
it is of course personal choice so really if it works for you then by all means do it, for me i would love to be able to show you the e-mails from TRADING POST not e-bay and they admitted to a scam involving Pay Pal and them and all apoligys ect .................... on e-bay i do not go any further if they only accept pay pal, that is my choice i guess, i also like Toyotas hahahah that also is my choice cause Nissans are crud hahaha
Cheers
Joe
FollowupID: 751486

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:28

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:28
They emailed us too. Paypal is what they wanted me to use. I forwarded the email back to them and traiding post with a message saying you have been reported. They never contacted again. Next day an email came from traiding post telling me i did the right thing and apology.
AnswerID: 476326

Reply By: landed eagle - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 13:29

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 13:29
If it's a genuine GT Falcon a serious buyer would only part with the readies after a thourough check of the chassis/engine# etc to prove authenticity. I'd never buy a GT without physically sighting the car first. A buyer who offers without seeing it is dodgy.
A bit like XU1 Toranas, 4 times as many were on the road through the eighties than were ever built during the 70's.

Good luck with the sale,wish I still had my XTGT.........should never have sold it!
AnswerID: 476380

Follow Up By: Member - warren G (VIC) - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 19:53

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 19:53
you are spot on, nobody would buy any car like this without checking ID first, and in hind site this is probably the wrong forum as some would not understand that providence in such cars is not only important but can have a big effect on pricing, hence the suspition of either a scammer or as they say a fool and his money is easily departed. Car has not sold yet and would be better off in the hands of someone that will use it. I love the car and had it a long time but im trying to cut down on the toys and try to spend more time in the bush instead.
FollowupID: 751470

Reply By: Member - Josh- Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 23:24

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 23:24
When we sold our car I had 3 people ring and want to buy it over the phone sight un seen. It was an 80 series fully loaded and I mean fully loaded with extras. Final guy offered $3500 more than best offer I had and more than asking price. Put deposit in my account and flew to Tassie to pick it up. We walked into the bank, he pulled out $XX,XXX in cash and handed it over.
When we sold our camper a guy rang and said he'd take it. He put $1000 in my account for me to hold it. He called in transfered the rest and drove out with our trailer.
We did however have plenty of scammers call. One guy called and asked all sorts of questions about the trailer and our trip. In fact he asked to many questions, which made me sus. He knew to much about me for my liking. He had gathered info from this site about us and it was like he was becoming my friend. After about 6 phone calls, talking mainly about our trip and how the kids liked it he started talking along the lines of money being tight and living in a remote area. The next time he called I mentioned I had had 3 calls recently which turned out to be scams that I reported to the police. I said it was nice to speak to some like him who was honest....never heard back from him after that.
This guy was un believable. I was doing his best to become my friend then run the scam.
The thing with scammers (the good ones anyway) is they are not dumb or stupid like many think. They have contacts in strategic places and are very savy. If they were honest business people they would probably be very successful. As we become aware of scams they try something new.
I still like...you bring cash you take the goods idea.

Josh
AnswerID: 476428

Sponsored Links