auto locker question

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:00
ThreadID: 91572 Views:4119 Replies:9 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
probably a silly question but I don't know the answer!

I have an auto locker in the front of my GQ patrol. Highly recommend it. Anyway, what I don't understand is the feeling I get in my steering when I disengage 4wd inside the vehicle but my hubs are still in the "lock" position.

My steering is all over the place (though driveable). I woule have thought that after moving back into 2wd my steering would be back to normal.

Can anyone explain to me the sensation I am feeling just so I have a better understanding of it?

Thanks,

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Time - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:10

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:10
With your hubs locked (whether in or out of 4wd) both axles are still locked together, hence when turning a corner both wheels will want to turn at the same speed. Unlock hubs and axles will now not be turned by the wheels and thus wheels will not be "locked" together and steering should feel "normal"
AnswerID: 476451

Follow Up By: Gossy - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:28

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:28
so even though I've stopped sending 'drive' to the front wheels, they are still locked until I manually intervene?

Cheers,
FollowupID: 751543

Follow Up By: aussiedingo. (River Rina) - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:48

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:48
G'day Gossy, yes they stay locked until they are "free" that is why the hubs have two settings "Lock & Free" speaks for itself. The drive to the front only wants them to move, the hubs allow the outer wheel to turn a larger circumference than the inner wheel in the free position & when in the lock position especially with the lokka it locks the front axle almost like a gokart solid axle that is why you only engage "lock" on unsealed surfaces so the inner wheel can "skip" on the soft ground for the smaller turning circle. With an airlocker in the rear of a cruiser turning on a sealed road in "lock" will shear all the axle bolts 'n pins off (how many of us have done that?) & still driveable with the axle hanging out! Lock is "Lock" - "Free" is free. hoo roo
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 751548

Follow Up By: Rob! - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:48

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:48
Your wheels are unlocked from the engine / gearbox but are still locked to eachother. Usually the diff would allow the two wheels and axles to move independantly from each other but it seems that in your case the locker is preventing this.
FollowupID: 751550

Follow Up By: Whirlwinder - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:52

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:52
Yes. With the hubs locked the two wheels are locked on one axle. By engaging 4wd all you are doing is giving drive to the locked axle.
Auto lockers are really auto "unlockers" and only unlock when driven by the engine and steering turned left or right. The wheel on the outside unlocks itself from the inner wheel and then re locks when both wheels are turning the same speed again.
Hope that explains it.
Ian
FollowupID: 751552

Reply By: Gossy - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:56

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:56
yep all good. Makes sense.

Cheers,
AnswerID: 476461

Follow Up By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 14:42

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 14:42
I have auto lockers front and rear on my car and what you describe is not "right". When I disengage 4wd I am no longer sending toque to the front diff and steering is no different regardless of the hubs being locked or un-locked (in 2WD). A auto lokka usualy causes the steering to go straight/return to center not go all over the place. I would sugest that you have your front end checked.
FollowupID: 751560

Follow Up By: gbc - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 17:40

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 17:40
Your Gq is 'dragging' the axles and the front driveshaft. A normal function of having an auto locker. Usually only the front axles turn if the hubs are in.
The axles are different lengths and different weights, and the driveshaft acts like a dirty great flywheel - you can feel all that pig rooting through the steering. It's pretty normal stuff.
The ifs lux (which I also had with a 'lokka') has much less weight spinning around to be dragged and will be much better behaved in the same situation.
You need to pay more attention to taking the hubs out now though, because the shaft dragging all the time has been known to do silly things like pressurise the transfer and blow out the front seals and things if left at highway speeds for too long (happened on my sr5 lux twice before we wised up and fitted free wheeling hubs as well).
As others have said, the unlocking (differential) action will still be occuring with the hubs in whilst turning, and the flywheel effect will slow you down upon acceleration, and try to spin on during braking. This is a minor thing, but will conspire against unis and things pretty quickly.
FollowupID: 751582

Reply By: Gossy - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 14:45

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 14:45
front end is all good. Going straight isn't the problem, it's when I turn. Not sure why I thought the steering would return to 'normal' once I disengaged 4wd. Having them locked still but just not sending drive makes complete sense once it's highlighted to me :)

Cheers,

AnswerID: 476468

Follow Up By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 14:55

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 14:55
Mine drives fine when in 4WD with the hubs locked & Hubs locked/unlocked in 2WD. My steering is predictable. If yours is all over the place something is wrong.
FollowupID: 751561

Reply By: Gossy - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 15:00

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 15:00
now I'm confused because what you experience is different to what the others are saying. Yours auto lokka or air compressor style?

I would expect an air compressor to turn back to normal because it would spring apart with the air turned off.
AnswerID: 476469

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 15:28

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 15:28
Hi Gossy,

As has been already said an autolocker is actually in operation an unlocker in that if you are driving in a straight line on a firm surface the wheels are actually locked together. Because you are not trying to turn you would not notice it. When you turn your vehicle the unlocking action is initiated by the torque being applied back into the diff from two wheels trying to go at different speeds rather than the driving effort being applied from your engine/gearbox which tends to cause the diff assembly to lock and thus give you positive drive to both wheels. The unlocking action was particularly noticable in the early Detroit Lockers which would make a quite alarming noise as they unlocked although they were not being damaged. I haven't had experience with the newer generation of "soft lockers" but apparently the unlocking action isn't so alarming.
If your front wheels are not consistant maybe the diff is unlocking and locking because of a fault or the surface you are driving on is allowing grip and slip alternately...........if you know what I mean.
Try driving and steering on a hard surface in 2WD but with the hubs locked and that should take the surface condition out of the equation.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 751564

Follow Up By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 15:30

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 15:30
I have a Lockrite Lokka in the front and a Detroit soft lock in the back. They were fitted in 2007. Front Lokka clicks when on a hard turn in 2wd with the hubs locked and that is all.. When engaged in 4WD it wants to self center if I let the wheel go. Other than that its brilliant..
FollowupID: 751565

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 16:02

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 16:02
In function all of these type I have come across are excellent traction aids. As I said the older Detroits were very noisy in operation and that was just a characteristic of them. They did cause a lighter vehicle like a Landcruiser to be a bit "twitchy" on a wet road when fitted to the rear if too much RH pedal was used. No dramas with 5ton trucks or the like. I have found the front mounted can be a bit of a handful at times which is why I prefer an air locker particularly in the front.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 751570

Follow Up By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 16:08

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 16:08
Mine are fitted to a hilux. The rear is very predictable with both my M/T and AT tyres. I went for Auto Lokkas as they suit the vechile. IFS front and auto trans. When driving in 4WD and turning if I slightly back off the loud peddle it drops the toque off the wheels and turns with ease.
FollowupID: 751571

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 16:23

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 16:23
Craig,

It has been quite a while since I fitted Detroit lockers for a living to everything from your average 4WD to large trucks and they were the older style "hard" lockers. As I said I have heard the newer generation of "soft" lockers are much quieter in operation and yes backing off the loud pedal thereby reducing the input torque from the drivetrain allows the different "loads" or torque applied by the wheels trying to go at different speeds when you turn to unlock the diff.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 751573

Follow Up By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 16:36

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 16:36
My original plan was to fit ARB lockers. I was directed by a well respected 4wd'r here in WA that the Lokka and detroit combo matched with my IFS, car weight and auto was the way to go. I have driven many a goat track and lifted the front weels many times. I had the diff ratios changede sever weeks ago and on inspection of the internals all is like new. I am also yet to do a front CV. Other members of the 4WD club that I am a member of that have IFS have all blown CV's they all run ARB lockers.
FollowupID: 751576

Follow Up By: Gossy - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 16:39

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 16:39
good to know. I'm off for a 10,000 km round trip via Perth, Kimberleys, Tanami, Alice, Adelaide in about 6 months so doing a CV would be a pain!
FollowupID: 751577

Reply By: Member - allan t (NT) - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 15:26

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 15:26
Gossy

If its a detroit locker they are locked all the time ,they unlock when the truck turns

AnswerID: 476472

Follow Up By: Gossy - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 15:27

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 15:27
I'll chat to 4wd systems in Adelaide where it was fitted. Cheers,
FollowupID: 751563

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 15:46

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 15:46
All this talk about locking in hubs raises a question with me. I've never owned or driven a vehicle that required locking in the front hubs. My question is what happens if you inadvertantly only lock one huib in and forget the other side?

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 476474

Follow Up By: Gossy - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 15:51

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 15:51
basically nothing (apart from wear and tear on one side only). you need both locked in.

Cheers,

FollowupID: 751568

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 15:55

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 15:55
That was quick Gossy. Thanks for answering my question.
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 751569

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 16:13

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 16:13
Gents,
If I may be so bold.....I would not drive around with one side locked with an open centred diff, you can do quite a lot of damage if done for extended distances.
What can happen is that the "sun" gear in the diff centre can spin and take the 'spider" gears with it at a lot higher speed than than they were intended to do. If the whole carrier assembly is turned together then no worries but to do that the front drive shaft and carrier must also be spun and most times there is enough friction to stop that happening.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 751572

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 21:04

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 21:04
That makes sense Pop. As I said up front I know diddley squat about locked hubs.
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 751616

Reply By: Member - Lloyd M - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 16:15

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 16:15
I also have Lokka type diff locks fitted front & back, on mine it is very difficult to tell when the front hubs are locked in but the transfer case isn't. In fact my Brother-in-law drove it 120 Kms and didn't realise the hubs were in. I too would recommend that someone has a look at your front end/axle/diff set up.
Regards,
Lloyd M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 476476

Follow Up By: Gossy - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 16:29

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 16:29
ta, I'll see them on Saturday morning,

Cheers,
FollowupID: 751574

Reply By: splits - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 21:54

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 21:54
Gossy

I agree with Craig. I have had a lokka in the front of my IFS Lux for over five years and have never experienced any steering problems with the hubs locked and the transfer case in 2wd on sealed roads. I lock the hubs every month or so just to keep the diff moving. The last time was last Sunday morning and they are still locked. I drove in and out of two shopping centre car parks today and noticed the usual clicking sound and thought I must unlock those hubs when I get home but still haven't done it.

You can't drive around cities with a diff solidly locked and no manufacturer would sell a auto locker that did not unlock in those situations. Auto lockers drive with engine applied torque and unlock with road applied torque. Road torque comes from one wheel turning faster than the other because it has a longer distance to travel. That is just about all the time no matter where you are going. Even in a straight line on a freeway is no different. As sure as can be your wheels will be different in diameter even if it is only by one millimetre. This might cause one wheel to make one more turn than the other over about say about ten ks in a straight line. The diff will unlock and allow for that extra turn.

The unlocking process causes a clicking sound as the teeth disengage and slide over each other. It is easy to hear on tight turns because there is a large difference in wheel speed and the teeth are sliding over each other quickly. It is difficult or even impossible to hear on gradual curves because of minimal wheel speed difference and slow movement of the teeth but it is still happening.

On bush tracks, the engine applied torque will always be driving at least one axle. It is impossible to not drive any. The other wheel will be rolling along up over rocks, down through holes or around the outside of corners. The diff will be unlocked just about all the time which is why you can drive around the bush all day without having to fight the steering as you would if the diff was manually locked. The instant the driven wheel looses traction, the diff will lock and drive both. This will continue until one or both wheels regain traction. The unlocking process will immediately start again.

The first thing I would do with your car is take it out and try a full lock turn. If you can not hear any clicking then the diff is not unlocking and that would be why you are having steering problems. If the locker has just been installed then it may not have been set up with sufficient clearance between the gears to allow it to unlock. If it has been there for a while then it most likely has a mechanical problem like a broken spring. That is not a common problem but I have heard of it happening before.

You can try a simple test in your driveway if things don't appear to be normal. With 4wd engaged and the hubs locked, jack up one wheel and turn it backwards by hand. It should move a fraction of an inch then lock. What you have done is taken up any slack in the drive train and left the locker cam gear back on the diff centre cross shaft. In other words the axle is now being driven and the other wheel should be free to turn ahead of it. The next step is to see if it will so hold the wheel in that backwards position either by chocking it or letting the jack down then jack up the other one. You should be able to turn it forward. You will feel a slight resistance and hear a horrible noise each time the teeth slide over each other but that is normal. If you can't turn it then there is something wrong inside the locker.

Repeat the test forward and backwards on both wheels. The reason for this is these lockers work in both directions on the road. Under engine braking down hill, the wheel with the longest distance will be held back while the one travelling the shorter distance will turn slower and ratchet its teeth back over each other.

AnswerID: 476532

Follow Up By: Gossy - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 09:02

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 09:02
thanks for that; great info. I'll do this one night this week.

Cheers,
FollowupID: 751661

Reply By: ChrisE - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 11:03

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 11:03
G'day I have a gu patrol with an auto locker. Yes it feels like it is all over the place with the hubs locked and not in 4x4 as explained above. It takes a bit of time to get used to driving it like that, as it will try to drive in a straight line all the time until the wheels generate enough grip to unlock or tyre slip as you turn. You can do the checks above to make sure ok then put it to some use and enjoy it!
AnswerID: 476567

Sponsored Links