Elephants and Komodo Dragons!!!

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 17:53
ThreadID: 91614 Views:2411 Replies:12 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
While driving to work today listening to 104.3 Gold Melbourne, I thought my hears were hearing things. Some apparent experts have suggested releasing elephants and komodo dragons into the Australian wilderness. At first I thought it was a joke but the suggestion is that Elephants can help eradicate unwanted grasses and the komodo dragon feral cats and foxes. Even the least of experts can see the stupidity in these actions. Imaging out in the desert and having to escape from a charging rouge elephant, (Not to mention the environmental impact) and Komodo Dragons not only eating the feral animals but also our native animals. Wouldn't like either of these in the camp site. Obviously they havn't thought this one through.

Unbelievable

Cheers Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 18:14

Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 18:14
Hi Steve,

When Tim Flannery wrote his book The Future Eaters back in the early 90s he proposed there that Komodo dragons be introduced as a top predator that we have lacked.

Dont know/haven't heard anything about elephants. Maybe its another of Dr Tim's ideas.

When he (TF) wrote The Future Eaters I thought he was a smart thinker although his K Dragon idea was a bit "off the wall" and even he admitted it then. Since then though my estimation of him and his ideas has gone rapidly downhill, as he has made too many wildly extravagent predictions and claims about things way outside his area of expertise.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 476674

Follow Up By: Member -Carl R (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 20:27

Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 20:27
Heard the same on a Brisbane radio station would make for an interesting drive out west
FollowupID: 751836

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 09:05

Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 09:05
I agree entirely..perhaps these experts are the same ones that waited a week for a
predicted wind change...so that Canberra would burn in 2003.....& then put fire
breaks in the day after.
Oh, well....makes a change from the Very Fast Train drivel they usually trot out.....
...:)))))).....oldbaz.
FollowupID: 751889

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 18:33

Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 18:33
You'd think they would have learned from the cane-toad debacle.

Yes, unbelievable.

Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 476676

Follow Up By: Racey - Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 19:03

Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 19:03
What would a paleontologist know about the environment? Based on recent statements - ZIP
FollowupID: 751823

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 19:15

Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 19:15
Elephants are a terrific idea. We could trial them in Queensland first, training them to squash Cane Toads would be great!! Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

AnswerID: 476684

Follow Up By: Steven G1 - Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 19:24

Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 19:24
If your post had a like button I would press it. lol
Steve
FollowupID: 751827

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 20:40

Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 20:40
So would I :-)))))

onya Michael LOL
FollowupID: 751838

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 05:48

Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 05:48
In NSW they could do Cockcroaches.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 751875

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 06:33

Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 06:33
Doug, don't you have some fences to fix, or Nissans to rescue LOL LOL
FollowupID: 751878

Follow Up By: OutBack Wanderers - Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 20:25

Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 20:25
I think its a great idea too

We have installed two elephant repellors on our bull-bar

It must be working, because we haven't hit one yet

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 751943

Reply By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 19:49

Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 19:49
Hi

I think it may be an April fools joke published 2 months too early. Wouldnt bother reading too much into it. It will never happen - just one person thinking out aloud and getting some air time.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 476685

Follow Up By: Steven G1 - Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 21:26

Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 21:26
Totally agree Greg, but had to post it because I couldn't believe what I was hearing.
Don't for one minute believe that it will ever come to fruition.

Cheers Steve

FollowupID: 751845

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 21:38

Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 21:38
Hi

No worries. I understand you amazement. It’s almost unbelievable that someone with an environmental/science background would say this in (apparent) full seriousness in public. Also reminds me of another recent thread on ..cows :)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 751847

Reply By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 20:27

Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 20:27
Can you imagine instead of a 'roo bar, an elephant bar on the front of your 4B.

Have the media started interviewing the inmates of the local nut house.
AnswerID: 476693

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 20:52

Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 20:52
Article was in today's West Australian. Professor making the suggestion comes from Tass from memory. Some academics think it's not a bad idea others think he's on a different planet. Didn't read it properly though, as I thought it was a crock of elephant manure.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 476696

Reply By: John R - Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 22:26

Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 22:26
Hi Steven,

After 200 years or so we still have not learnt from our mistakes by introducing species of new animals on this wonderful continent. None of them have worked and all have had devastating consequences.
I own and breed Dingoes and have gathered a vast knowledge of this wonderful predator.
Where native habitat were on the brink of extinction in certain parts of the country, the Bilby, a noetable reference, the re-introduction of Dingoes back into these areas have had remarkable results.
Not only was the eco system brought back into balance, suspect native fauna near extinction in theses areas now flourishing and flora have also recovered.
The eradication of ferals animals in these areas by bringing back the apex predator (the Dingo) cannot be disputed.
Goats, foxes, feral cats and other vermin are no longer in these experimental areas.
There is no need to introduce more problems when our native dog can restore the environment back to the way it should be.
Yellowstone N.P (America) have had extraordinary results by re-introducing the Wolf back to it's native home land. When all hope seemed lost to restore this fantastic N.P back to all it's glory, rivers, forests, elk and other notebale animals, are all making a strong recovery, all via the Wolf's presence.
We should do the same here with our native dog......the Dingo.

Only my thoughts,

Cheers,, John R
AnswerID: 476710

Follow Up By: Steven G1 - Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 22:47

Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 22:47
Hi John,

Have to agree with you, your comments make perfect sense. Great to hear that the eco system has been brought back into balance in those areas. It would be great if that could be expanded.

Cheers Steve

FollowupID: 751865

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 23:24

Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 23:24
Most interesting John. Do you know why re-introducing the dingo has helped restore the balance to the ecosystem. From an armature point of view I would have thought that animals like bilbies would have been a food source for a top predator such as a dingo.
Before you start thinking I am anti dingo I can assure you nothing could be further from the truth. I am all for the eradication of feral animals and we do have a lot.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 751866

Follow Up By: John R - Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 16:00

Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 16:00
Hi Pop

Scientists have been conducting studies on both the Dingo and the Wolf to verify as to which was the First dog. It has always been an assumption that the Wolf was the first dog. Recent results are inconclusive, but it seems there is sufficient evidence to prove the Dingo in fact was the first dog. One example of this is that you can find Dingo DNA in every dog aroung the world (including domestic breeds and that of the wild - African hunting Dog) but not Wolf DNA. This is one of the many bridges that scientists are trying to prove.

With this in mind, it is thought the Dingo has been in Australia for at least 5,000 years, but with recent studies, this figure may now in the Tens of thousands.
So the Dingo has been on this continent for long enough to be part of the eco system.
Regarding the Billby, the release of the Dingo into these areas were moneterd for numerous years. Once all the feral animals were eradicated, the only food source left were that of the native kind. This then restored (at the time) the over populated kangaroo/wallaby mobs. When it came to the Billby, it was recorded that the Dingo only fed on this species in time of abundance. If there were not enough Billbies in certain areas, it was noted that the Dingo then fed on small rodents, birds and lizards, thus giving the Billby recovering time without the fear of feral animals.

I hope this information helps. It is a very brief explanation and I could discuss this for hours.

Cheers,, John
FollowupID: 751925

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 02:04

Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 02:04
G'day Steven G1

Your post subject is something that was talked about on the North West ABC radio today, amazing how the general poulation think suggestions like Elephants and Komodo dragons in the Australian wilderness chomping on unwanted grasses, feral cats and the like, think its NUTS and the person or people who actually suggest the idea are loopy as well.

Well mate, its actually happening to a great degree as we speak and no one seems to give a toss because the Elephants in the grass are the mining giants, but now that they want to control the print and television media, it will be kept a secret.

Safe travells:
AnswerID: 476720

Follow Up By: Steven G1 - Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 08:30

Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 08:30
Yes the mining giants seem to be a law unto themselves. To often areas such as the Kimberlys, Pilbura and the like are allocated to be mined and unfortunately to often it's the local people who fight the mining companies.

Steve
FollowupID: 751884

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 11:40

Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 11:40
Image Could Not Be FoundG'day Steven G1

I'm not sure the mining companies as we see them are a law unto themselves, but there is utterly no doubt the Mining Lobby has the power to influence government(s) Local - State and Federal. The influence these people have is enough to change the course of Australian politics, testement to that is the political demise of a duely elected Prime Minister.

Very rarely are mining projects that have the potential to earn vast amounts of revinue for government(s) knocked back, its criminal to actually see the landscape and enviroment change so dramatically and may I add ~ irreversibly.

No amount of money or rehabilitation the miners throw at the aftermath of their mining operations will ever make it right again.

I am not fighting any mining company, but I am willing to voice my objections to the blatant destruction of OUR heritage.

Safe Travells :
FollowupID: 751910

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 05:54

Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 05:54
Here's the report from the no brain do-gooder.

In an article published in the journal Nature today, Tasmanian scientist David Bowman proposes allowing the enormous mammals to roam through Australia's savannas to control the African pest gamba grass.

But the Pew Environmental Group says unleashing elephants could be disastrous.

"Unmanaged fire and invasive pests are some of the biggest threats to the native plants and animals of the outback," Patrick O'Leary from group said in a statement today.

"But the solution is already in our own backyard and the last thing our unique landscape needs is the equivalent of a 10-tonne cane toad flattening the countryside."

Mr O'Leary said other options, such as greater funding for indigenous rangers, were a better way of controlling pest plants and animals.

"Indigenous rangers have stopped noxious weeds like Mimosa from expanding from the Northern Territory into the Kimberley," Mr O'Leary said.

"We do know how to control pests like gamba grass. It's not too late at all - that's a furphy - but we have to have a coordinated, scientific and properly funded approach."

Professor Bowman, an environmental change biologist at the University of Tasmania, wrote that wild elephants could fight invasive pests and reduce fire hazards.

With around five per cent of the continent burnt in bushfires last year, the introduction of large animals could help reduce the amount of the flammable gamba grass that is widespread in northern areas, Prof Bowman writes in the article.

"It is too big for marsupial grazers (kangaroos) and for cattle and buffalo.

"But gamba grass is a great meal for elephants or rhinoceroses," he writes.

"The idea of introducing elephants may seem absurd, but the only other methods likely to control gamba grass involve using chemicals or physically clearing the land, which would destroy the habitat."

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 476721

Follow Up By: Steven G1 - Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 08:16

Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 08:16
Hi Doug,

Thanks for the article. Interesting reading. If anything, hopefully it has generated some discussion about our fauna and flora and the difficulties our beautiful country is facing. A lot more needs to be accomplished before we ever see a change in the disastrous decisions of good doers. I doubt we will ever see the full eradication of introduced feral animals and weeds, but hopefully powers that be may be able to a least get some control and keep them to a minimum. Maybe I'm also dreaming.

Cheers Steve
FollowupID: 751882

Reply By: Robin Miller - Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 08:45

Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 08:45
I was wondering how many cattle in the high country equates to 1 elephant.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 476738

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 17:23

Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 17:23
The main problem with Elephants is that they are inquisitive, they will be knocking koalas out of trees!!! ;) Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

FollowupID: 751932

Follow Up By: River Swaggie - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 16:00

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 16:00
"The main problem with Elephants is that they are inquisitive, they will be knocking koalas out of trees!!! ;) Michael "

Ha i reckon the Koala would just fall out if it saw an Elephant walking towards it,thinking wtf...
FollowupID: 752160

Reply By: Bill BD - Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 10:05

Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 10:05
I believe in its original context the statement was deliberately "out there" to make a point. He wasn't seriously suggesting elephants.
AnswerID: 476748

Reply By: Steven G1 - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 11:26

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 11:26
Found this today. Thought some of you may be interested.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/glanceview/213702/bringing-elephants-to-the-outback.glance

Cheers Stev
AnswerID: 476968

Sponsored Links