The future of energy

Submitted: Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 09:26
ThreadID: 91632 Views:2083 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have mulled this over for a few weeks and decided to post this link.

It maybe to far off topic for the moderators but they will decide that. it may well affect all of us even when travelling this great land in the future.

I found it fascinating and watched it quite a few times.

Here is the link below.

The Future of Energy

RA.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Racey - Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 09:53

Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 09:53
Very interesting.
AnswerID: 476743

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 09:58

Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 09:58
Very interesting, thanks for the link. I would love to know the cost of the products they were talking about.
But, would the big energy companies allow free energy? Maybe if they were still government owned we could do it, but now that our smart politicians have privatised them all, I think not. Like the process of getting petroleum out of coal, now being very cost effective and the end product being better for the environment. Australian was in a brilliant position to capitalize on this, but not while we have the big oil companies and certain political interests.....
But, at least there are people out there looking at different ideas. I hope it all happens one day. Kevin
AnswerID: 476744

Reply By: TerraFirma - Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 14:43

Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 14:43
Amazing. Fascinating.
AnswerID: 476775

Reply By: beach40 - Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 20:27

Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 20:27
Very, very interesting indeed. Thanks for posting.

Its very true that "free energy" or something very close to that, after you buy the products to produce it, are an amazing thing. However, to play devils advocate for a moment, consider the changes in our society for such a thing to occur.

Currently we have some rather large industries involved in mining energy, refining energy and distributing energy. No one in our society gets "free" energy. We pay (through the nose) for all our transport fuel and household fuel for lighting and cooking, etc.

It might be a bit of a stretch to consider right now, but lets suppose we follow
Mr. Justin Hall-Tipping and most households convert to free nano-energy.

Suddenly, or over time just like how the internet came about, we have a 20% downturn in the demand for coal fired power? What would the flow on effects be? Less people required to mine the stuff, transport it, etc. Less demand on power plants, which, amongst other things, require a base load to operate? How much unemployment would result? A significant chunk of our tax base would also be lost.

I'm not trying to be raining on such remarkable, inspiring and forward thinking ideas. But if we are to do such things there will be downsides that need to be considered and dealt with.

AnswerID: 476789

Follow Up By: Rockape - Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 20:51

Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 20:51
Beach,
I actually wasn't looking at the free or low cost side at all. The technology blew me away.

At some time we will have to let go of our old ways or mother nature will hunt us off this planet.

Maybe the slack with employment could be taken up by us maintaining all the infrastructure we have now. We don't even seem to be able to do that.

At some stage we will have to stop and rethink our whole work and tax base. We can't just keep building and building to satisfy our need for greed.

The world has become a very small place and unless we work out how to manage it we will be wiped off this planet.

I come from 25 years of mining and I have seen the change in our need for greed. Get it out, more, more, more. In 20 years time we Australia will just be a hole in the ground. Even Paul Anderson the ex BHPB chief has come out and had his say about this.

This technology I believe will help us cope with the amount of humans on this planet and we will have to change our way of doing business.

Have a good one,
RA.

FollowupID: 751946

Reply By: Member - Terra'Mer - Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 22:35

Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 22:35
Thanks Rockape for sharing,
I have been following this for some years after hearing about it being trialled in India while trekking there. It looks very promising. I hope our government embraces it and allows it to be affordable for everyone.
Cheers,
Terra
Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 476806

Follow Up By: Rockape - Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 23:39

Friday, Feb 03, 2012 at 23:39
Terra,
the dollar rules all. Times have a changed and all we do is pray to the money bin.

I am not a fatalist, just a realist.

As Bob Dylan wrote. Times they are a changing.

RA.

FollowupID: 751968

Follow Up By: beach40 - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 10:57

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 10:57
If I understand this correctly, it won't be about governments making it affordable, it will be if they allow it all. Basically, we can't have the masses having free energy.

Once the genie is out of the bottle, theres no putting it back in.

As a miner, RA, I'm sure you're well aware of what happens when theres a downturn in demand for commodities and as you say, the big Australian Quarry will run out one day.

On a more positive note, such technology would be great for mobile living/touring. Instead of solar panels, imagine every window being an electricity maker, plus a few light weight, flexible, robust, deployable units. No need to run generators or your vehicle engine or carry gas bottles.

FollowupID: 751992

Follow Up By: Member - Terra'Mer - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 12:02

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 12:02
Nikola Tesla was one of the great inventors of our modern age. The Father of Free Energy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla
As soon as he started encouraging people to build their own he was squashed regardless of how much he has contributed to our daily comforts through his amazing work. I know a few people living remote who have use his plans to generate their own energy.

Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 751997

Sponsored Links