Safe to use a 10' tinny at Normanton?

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 06:54
ThreadID: 91647 Views:2795 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
It looks as though we will be going to Normanton for 6 weeks starting at the beginning of May.

Is it safe enough to use a 10' tinny on the river?

We have past through there before, but I can't remember whether there is a lot of crocs up there. Even though there is a big replica of one as you come into town.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 07:12

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 07:12
Boo Boo

This one is harmless
Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers Mate

Bucky
AnswerID: 476814

Follow Up By: On Patrol & TONI - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 12:53

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 12:53
"This one is harmless"

Croc or man Bucky? lol
FollowupID: 752002

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 13:47

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 13:47
Hahahaha........I rather tackle the croc I reckon!
FollowupID: 752008

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 06:38

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 06:38
Only when I am not carrying the .338

Hehehehe
FollowupID: 752063

Reply By: Bigfish - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 07:19

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 07:19
Just depends on how much you value your life! The Gulf of Carpentaria has many crocs, many big buggers too. NO-ONE can predict where they will show up.
Personally I think anything less than a 3.9 meter high side boat is asking for trouble and tempting fate. I have seen thousands of crocs up here in the North. Its not only the big fellas ya gotta watch. The smaller 2.5 meter blokes are gettin really cheeky as competition for a home base gets harder to find due to increased numbers. I am sure there are people on here who will tell you that they regularly use a 10 foot tinny to chase barra in the area. If you dont value your own life that much, what about your fishing buddies? We can all get away with doing foolish things....for a while.
Your call
AnswerID: 476815

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 07:29

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 07:29
Hmmmm it sounds like I could be croc bait,,, bugger. lol

Thanks for the advice fellas, we are leaving the van at home and now the boat.

I'll still take the fishing gear though.

FollowupID: 751975

Reply By: Ray - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 08:21

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 08:21
Isn't it best to keep your tinnies in your fridge till your ready to drink them??????
AnswerID: 476820

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 08:48

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 08:48
Ray, you know how to kick a man when he's down. LOL

FollowupID: 751981

Reply By: On Patrol & TONI - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 13:00

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 13:00
Hi Boo Boo

Have a look at this brochure Croc Wise from the Qld govt (free online) it is croc wise reading.
Enjoy your trip safely.
Cheers Colin.
AnswerID: 476842

Reply By: The Bantam - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 15:54

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 15:54
There are heaps of people in the north who fish out of small tinnies.......some of my relatives included...admittedly thay all have at least 12 footers

You are at highest risk at the waters edge fishing and launching whatever boat regardless of size.

Crocks atacking boats is not a common occurance........

there have been recent reports of atacks on kayacks and canoes, but tell me has anybody heard any reports of atacks on boats, particularly those with outboards..........

yes I know about "Sweethart" that was some time ago and nobody was injured......lots of soiled underwear, but no injuries

With all these things you have to be a bit sensible.

My brother recons he is not concerned about crocks.....BUT..he has recently baught a boat with higher sides and got an electric start motor off a bloke with one arm.

The wifes brother visited one of his mates up in NT a while back and went fishing with some blokes......up this little creek, at night....they'd been fishing and catching for a while....when they shone a torch arround the creek was lousy with crocks.......couldn't understand why thay had not bumped into one......but the crocks didn't seem too bothered or interrested.

If I had a choice of fishing from the bank or out of a small tinnie.....no contest.

The crocks instinct is to stalk anything hanging arround near the waters edge.

cheers
AnswerID: 476859

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 19:52

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 19:52
Last year there were at least 2 reported instances of crocs having a go at boats. I have a mate who had his outboard attacked by a croc on the Peter John River. It certainly is a hell of a lot safer fishing from a boat than from the shore. You said it yourself.."at LEAST 12 foot models'. At least being the important word. Another big issue is that the locals up here, including myself, get very blasai about crocs. Many accounts every season of crocs chasing fish up to the boat that an angler has hooked. They are the ultimate hunting machine mate. You mightn,t see them, but they will have seen you.
Plenty of locals have had close shaves with the lizards but treat it as one of those things.

FollowupID: 752023

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 16:42

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 16:42
Hi Boo Boo,,
We wouldn't!
We aren't fisher-people but we have been to Normanton. We've been told recently by people who've lived around the Top end for years, that they're numbers are getting out of control now. Mainly around Wyndham, but all around the Top end.
We went to Borroloola, just to see what all the fuss was about the place for the fisher people down here.

W e saw huge crocs following their tins of or'derves & one nudged at the tin & promptly went & waited near the boat ramp.
They can have the place, they watch your habits & they're not politicians in all ways.
They're very smart!
They also love tinned meat & the tin opener is no probs, they carry it everywhere with them.
Even the little ones (as you call em) can puncture a tin, the tin, contents & all sink
& whoopee! Look Dad ,I opened a can of mixed meat for smoko.!
No Barra is worth that risk.
Go to 80 mile beach & surf fish for thread fin salmon. The only tinny you'll need is your drink and a good insect repellent.
I've eaten cooked croc meat & it tastes like a cross between chicken &
prawns I think & I liked it. Looked like the size of a good sized snapper cutlet. Mustn't have been a big old tough one, it was tender.
Take care, keep safe.
Bye for now Ma.
AnswerID: 476865

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 23:54

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 23:54
Short answer ..... no it is not safe, yes there are crocs up that far, you will find that the bigger ones stray further up stream and are less seen ...............

Cheers,
..... go to Karumba and hire or charter, not far from Normanton anyway.
AnswerID: 476909

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 16:58

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 16:58
Thanks for the advice people.

I am leaving the little boat home.

Charter boats sound good.

FollowupID: 752182

Reply By: TerraFirma - Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 12:02

Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 12:02
For the sake of 2 feet and if you are going for 6 weeks can you get a 12 footer instead with higher freeboard? For the sake of relaxation vs worry size does matter in this instance.
AnswerID: 477102

Sponsored Links