Do green tree frogs eat geckos

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 09:14
ThreadID: 91649 Views:8237 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
The other day a well respected person told me that green tree frogs eat geckos lizards. This I thought was a little strange but he has lived "up north" and should know.

I have done the google thing and cannot find an answer. Does anyone know if this is true. In Darwin I have seen both of them in the same location.

I thought they would just eat insects?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 10:03

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 10:03
Common Green Tree Frog, Dunny Frog, Northern Green Tree Frog, White's Tree Frog

The species' diet consists mainly of insects and spiders,but can include smaller frogs and even small mammals. Frog teeth are not suited to cutting up prey, so the prey must fit inside the mouth of the frog. Many frogs propel their sticky tongues at prey. The prey sticks, and is consumed. A Green Tree Frog will use this technique for smaller prey; however for larger prey, it pounces, then forces the prey into its mouth with its hands. (Wikipedia)

Looks like it's possible. From a Gecko point of view, the smaller you are, the more likely to fit inside the mouth of the frog!

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 476832

Follow Up By: On Patrol & TONI - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 12:50

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 12:50
I concur with Mick
having kept Green tree frogs for some years, not any longer they cramped our travelling style, it is my experience that they will eat any "living" thing that they can fit into their mouths, and then some if very hungry.

Cheers Colin.
FollowupID: 752001

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 13:25

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 13:25
Sheesh .. it's not easy being a gecko, is it?

I remember when living in Cairns that there was as story doing the rounds of some Japanese tourists who awoke to the sounds of a gecko in their room, and on turning on the light and seeing the gecko, fled from their room screaming because they believed it to be a baby crocodile. May be urban myth, but we all had a good laugh just the same.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 752005

Follow Up By: get outmore - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 15:47

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 15:47
On patrol is dead right. Any frog will eat a gecko actually I may or may not have given my western bell frog a gecko. I put another frog in 2/3 its size and removed it almost straight away due to my frog sizing it up and that was the same species
FollowupID: 752011

Reply By: Member - Carl- Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 08:30

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 08:30
Thanks for that info. I suppose you cannot blame them for eating anything as almost everything is trying to eat them.

I was suprised to learn that they can live twice as long as a dog.
AnswerID: 476938

Reply By: Bill BD - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 10:12

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 10:12
When you look at frogs they are fearsome predators. They are shaped like a purse.... a sack with a big snap lock opening. The only other animal like that is a white pointer. I concur... they eat anything they can swallow.
AnswerID: 476953

Reply By: Member - Steve & Cecily W (QLD - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 18:00

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 18:00
Bring on the Frogs! I hope they eat as many introduced "Asian" geckos as possible!
Haven't stopped smiling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 477023

Sponsored Links