vehicle inspection

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 16:34
ThreadID: 91656 Views:1626 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Have been searching for a new second hand vehicle recently and of course many of the ones I am interested in happen to be located interstate. I am not ruling out a purchase from afar, just curious of other peoples experience with buying interstate. Mainly about getting an inspection before footing the bill for a trip over?
Any feedback will be much appreciated!

Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 21:20

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 21:20
G'day, I had RACQ inspect a vehicle for me once, the report was all good, flew to QLD to look at it, was a heap of crap, mileage didn't match condition, surface rust in panel gaps in engine bay, anodised fittings corroded in engine bay, seems to have been a resort beach buggy maybe?

Didn't buy it, was not happy with RACQ, complained and actually got to speak to the bloke who did the inspection, asked him why he didn't list the problems I had seen, the answer, " I didn't think it would matter"........... WTF.

I wasted RACQ fee, air fare, motel, hire care, parking etc etc, RACQ couldn't care less, be very wary.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 476898

Follow Up By: mystows - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 21:36

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 21:36
Thanks John, "I didn't think it would matter" WTF indeed!! This is what I was worried about. Putting my trust in someone I cant talk to personally, many miles away. May just have to be patient and wait for something closer too home... Think they call it delayed gratification??
Thanks again mate,
Brett
FollowupID: 752041

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 23:26

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 23:26
I had one daughter move to Victoria and another to Qld from SA. Both got their vehicles inspected for rego on arrival. Both had inspectors who's only interest was in how much money they could make out of the inspection and figured these girls wouldn't know any better.

The Victorian inspector charged $95 to look her near new Corolla (they can charge as much as they like - no limit) and couldn't find fault but wouldn't hand over the paperwork until he'd changed the rear wiper rubber. We later found that this was not an item that mattered for the inspection.

The Qld "inspector" said the rear trailing arm bushes needed replacement on the second daughter's Landcruiser and quoted her $500 to do it. She got it done elsewhere but found that the bushes were OK. But she was over a barrel because she couldn't get the paperwork off the first guy unless they were replaced.

This system is a rort designed to make money for the motor traders who have a financial incentive to say certain items need replacement. Supposed to be a safety inspection.

So in answer to your question, I wouldn't buy a vehicle interstate if it meant that you required an inspection in your own state.

I'd also be pretty wary of buying interstate vehicles as well because of floods in recent years - seems like there are a few repairable writeoffs around that are being sold as clean vehicles.
AnswerID: 476906

Follow Up By: mystows - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 17:20

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 17:20
Wow, thought bringing it home would be the easy part!
thanks for the feedback Phil.
do you know of any decent crowds that do 4x4 inspection in SA?
FollowupID: 752646

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 08:11

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 08:11
http://www.alltrac4wd.com.au/index.php
Alltrac4wd on South Rd Mile End would be my choice but I expect you'd need to take the vehicle to them.
FollowupID: 752698

Follow Up By: mystows - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 09:06

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 09:06
Have heard good reports from them.
thanks mate
FollowupID: 752703

Sponsored Links