Cape York trip with dog

G'Day to all,
I am planning to go to the TIP in May/June this year and was wondering if anyone can help me with regard to being allowed to take my dog.
Are there any rules or such that would prevent me from taking my old mate.
If I do take him, are there any restrictions on where we can go.
Thanks in Advance for all help.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 06:53

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 06:53
If you are Indigenous,,NO !
AnswerID: 476924

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 07:36

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 07:36
Funny about that!! Australia is the only country in the world where everone is treated equal!!! Some more equal than others!! :) Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 752068

Follow Up By: IBV001 - Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 01:35

Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 01:35
Hey guy's, you just have to remember, where in the lucky country
FollowupID: 752241

Reply By: stevo - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 09:38

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 09:38
G'day IBV001 --- (any connection to Bond at 007?) ---- It is of course illegal to take a dog into a national park and there are quite a few up there but there are 100s and maybe 1000s of dogs roaming loose in the towns/villages so I don't think one more will make too much difference --- A tip -- avoid school holi times if possible as the place isn't big enough.
AnswerID: 476949

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 10:06

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 10:06
Hi IVB whatever your name is

Most of the National parks are on the eastern side of the development road which is the main road to the very tip. You cannot take dogs into the parks. May I suggest that, if not done so already, you get a copy of Hema's Cape York map and have a look. You will miss out on Lakefield and Cape Melville but there are still places to go. The very tip should be fine though.

Enjoy

Phil
FollowupID: 752098

Follow Up By: IBV001 - Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 01:39

Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 01:39
Thanks Stevo, much appreciated.

Sorry Phil, names Shane,
Thanks for the tip about the map, will definitely be getting this before we leave.
Can't wait to get going.

Cheers
Shane & Gwyn
FollowupID: 752242

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 08:01

Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 08:01
Hi Shane

Any time mate. Its a great place and a long way to miss something worthwhile. Worth every bit of planning and reading.

That Hema map just about did us for the trip north. Also for the GPS there is a Topo250 getting around that covers all Australia to good detail. Doesn't necessarily point out the "tourist" things but if you know where you need to get to it is a great help. I am using it as the main guide for the Canning.

A little know loop that you may want to look at is a drive from Maitland Downs which is jusr south of Palmer River Roadhouse. The drive leaves the PDR and heads west to maytown and then north along the Old Coach Road back to the PDR at Laura. There were troubles with a local when we were there. He thought he owned it and was sticking stakes in the ground. Contact Cook Council to get the latest update. The local council engineer told me about it.

Phil
FollowupID: 752253

Follow Up By: IBV001 - Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 08:09

Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 08:09
Thanks Phil,
There's nothing like local knowledge is there.
We'll take a look at the loop on the way.

Thanks again
Shane & Gwyn
FollowupID: 752255

Reply By: B1B2 - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 11:06

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 11:06
We took our dog to the Cape with us a few years ago & my BiL took his. We drove the OTL, Gunshot etc. (east of the OTL is mainly NP). The only place we were not sure if we could go was Eliot/ Fruit bat Falls, as it was 'Heathlands resource reserve'. We drove in and found dogs were not allowed. You had to pay a fee and place it in the envelope and the area was divided into small camping spots, so we drove on a few kms and free camped at canal creek which was a terrific camping spot. There was no sign outside the reserve saying NO dogs which would have been handy.
There are the usual restrictions, Captain Billy landing was in the NP, so no good. We drove out to Vyrilya Point. We came back via the Southern bypass Rd and afaik you are allowed to drive through the Heathlands Reserve.
I wouldn't leave my dog in a kennel for that length of time, definitely take him along.
Enjoy the trip,
Bill
AnswerID: 476962

Follow Up By: IBV001 - Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 01:43

Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 01:43
Thanks very much for the info Bill,
We don't mined missing bits and pieces of the cape and for that matter the rest of the country if it means we can take part of the family with us.

Cheers
Shane & Gwyn
FollowupID: 752243

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 14:52

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 14:52
I don't know about taking your best mate, for his safety?
I would worry about ticks, other nasties & disease. Some body would know how to prepare your dog with appropriate tablets or needles (your vet) but I'd also keep him on a lead & away from other roaming dogs & waterways.
A Python tried to swallow & squash a 2 yr old boy in Cairns a while ago & they always get Koalas. It took 4 people to unwind the thing from around the boy. Take care, safe travels.
Bye for now, Ma.
AnswerID: 476994

Follow Up By: IBV001 - Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 08:04

Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 08:04
Thanks for your concerns Ma,
We have travelled a fair bit of the country with our dogs and we have had to learn how to look after them, especially with regards to the paralysis ticks of FNQ.
Believe it or not, the dogs actually like the added attention of being groomed every night.
A small price to pay for taking him with us.

Cheers
Shane & Gwyn
FollowupID: 752254

Reply By: eighty matey - Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 22:24

Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 22:24
Hi Shane,

we took our little dog with us to the Cape in 2010.We take him everywhere.

We didn't camp in National Parks but you are allowed to pass through NPs with dogs. Only issue we had was with an APT bus driver (called himself a Savannah Guide) when we stopped in Lakefield NP to see if he needed a hand because he was stopped in the middle of the road. There's plenty of room, and plenty to see without stopping in NPs but you can still go through.

Careful of crocs if the dog is near water, don't let the dog annoy others, don't cook the dog in a closed up vehicle and keep an eye out for signs saying baits are laid. We didn't see many, if any, bait signs on The Cape, but just assume they could be around.

It's a great experience and I'm glad I shared it with my dog.

Hoo roo,
eighty matey
AnswerID: 477155

Follow Up By: IBV001 - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 06:40

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 06:40
Thanks eighty matey,
Great to hear. The more I'm hearing, the better it sounds.
My dog is very well behaved and well travelled.
Thanks for the tips about the crocs and baits
Much appreciated
Cheers
Shane & Gwyn
FollowupID: 752345

Sponsored Links