Dilyan's Grave - Boddington

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 13:35
ThreadID: 91677 Views:5197 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Driven past the sign just south af Boddington (WA) a few times having no idea who Dilyan was...and never bothered to stop.

Image Could Not Be Found

The other day I was doing a job along that section of road so thought I pop in and have a look...a short 50m walk in to the bush and there it was...

Image Could Not Be Found

A read of the headstone and I was fascinated to find out that Dilyan was an aboriginal who accompanied John Forrest and H.S. Ranford on several expeditions around the 1880’s...

Image Could Not Be Found

The website Monuments Australia lists the site and provides some additional information....

"Plaque commemorates an Aboriginal man who helped John Forrest and H.S. Ranford on their expeditions.

Dilyan an aboriginal, belonged to a tribe, which lived within the boundaries of Wandering and Williams. Dilyan travelled with explorer, Sir John Forrest and was so highly regarded that he presented him with a silver mounted and inscribed fowling piece (gun), as well as naming a spring at the Cambridge Gulf in the North-West of Western Australia after him. Dilyan, rendered sterling service on a survey expedition, led by Mr. R.S. Ranford, which visited Cambridge Gulf in the 1880`s and marked out the town of Wyndham, as well as effecting other important surveys."

I also note there is a spring in Wyndam up near Emu Hill called Dilyan's Spring.

Interesting stuff...thought others my like to know about. TheMonuments Australia website is also worth a look around as it has many other sites people may find of interest and may wish to visit in their travels.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bill BD - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 13:59

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 13:59
Greg, I walked in from the roadside marker and didn't find the grave. Gotta have another look now. I read in a history of Boddington that Dilyan wasn't from the local tribe.
AnswerID: 476986

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 14:18

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 14:18
Hi

The track is not well marked and a bit weedy but visible - you just got straight in from the sign - cant miss it. Only info I have to go on was on the headstone and the net. Sounds like someone has delved a bit deeper and found out some additional info on his origins. If you ever find out what book it was etc let us know.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 752144

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 16:46

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 16:46
Hi Greg

thanks for posting that. I will check it out when next passing.

I have started recording the actual GPS co-ordinates of what I call "Lonly Graves" that I have come across in my bush wanderings.

Unfortunately I only thought of doing the precise co-ordinates in recent years and so whilst I have in few in my memory that I will re vist in time to actually plot......I have only now got 6 actaully plotted with the GPS

I have always found it quite sobering at these sites...a time for quiet reflection on how easy I got to that spot..and how safe I am right there and now in comparison to the circumstances that led to that grave at that spot at that time.

I did post on here some time back looking for any sort of data base but the reples I got were old townships etc..which although of interest were not what I called "lonly"....as I was seeking those ones & twos in the middle of no where...sort of died and burried there on the spot...I am sure there are many known and many not known

cheers

Graeme
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 477006

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 18:42

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 18:42
Hi Graeme

Coordinates for Dilyan's grave/monument are

32° 50' 20.9" S
116° 27' 48.9 E

(Datum = WGS 84 or GDA94)

The book Lonely Graves by the Coates lists heaps but most dont have co-ordinates and I assume there are many not listed at all. Big task potting them all that would require a long term team effort.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 752193

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 20:13

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 20:13
Thanks Greg

noted.... and I will follow up on those books as I am sure I must have driven past a few that are documented but not sign posted and so over the years I will catch up with a few more now

cheers
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 752203

Follow Up By: Ian & Sue - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 22:54

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 22:54
On the subject of lonely graves - we would often come across a very old graves in remote parts of the Pilbara and also started taking GPS readings of where we had found them. One day while I was in the Karratha libruary researching a particular grave the librarian suggested I talk to a lady in the historical section. She was very interested in our hobby and ask if we could supply the co-ords as there wasn't a record of where some of these graves were. We happily gave over our information. Some of these areas have now been mined I suspect that some of the graves are now gone, so glad we took photos when we had the chance.

This winter we will still be here in the Pilbara and intend to spend our weekends off seeing which graves are still around. Most we have found date back to the 1800's and are not in grave yards but is solitary spots on stations.

Sue
Karratha WA
FollowupID: 752228

Reply By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 17:14

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 17:14
Hi everyone,

My records indicate as follows

DILYAN’S GRAVE
DILYAN - buried adjacent the BODDINGTON cemetery on the north side.
An Aboriginal, who was so highly regarded by the late Sir John Forrest that he presented him with a silver-mounted and inscribed fowling piece, and named a spring of water (which Dilyan found in his wanderings while looking after sheep) in the North-West after him.
Dilyan rendered service on a survey expedition, led by HS Ranford, which visited Cambridge Gulf in the 1880's and marked out the town of Wyndham as well as effecting other important surveys. Mr BS Ranford of Bannister, wrote to the Western Australian Historical Society asking that Dilyan's grave be marked in some way to commemorate him.
Further Reference: Western Ancestor dated June 1980 Vol 1 No 6 - Journal of Western Australian Genealogical Society (article Lonely Lonely Graves" by FT Bray); Western Mail - 18.7.1935 & 1.7.1937; The Horses Came First by Albert Schorer.
Author's note: Dilyan's grave is not beneath the monument, but some little distance away.
Source- Coate Yvonne & Ken, Lonely Graves OF West Aust., Hesperian Press.
Book available from
http://www.hesperianpress.com/index.php/booklist/2011-06-16-12-23-53/m-titles?start=20

Other records state,

Dilyan was an Aborigine who accompanied a survey expedition to Cambridge Gulf in 1886. He rendered sterling service to H.S. Ranford, the surveyor in charge and was presented, on his return, with a silver-mounted fowling piece by John Forrest. (Dilyan spring at Wyndham was named after him). He later worked for B.S. Ranford in the Williams District. (Corr 1309/37, 8641/12 and 1059/56,Biographical References at W.A. State Archives, "West Australian" 6th Sept.1968 and "Narrogin Observer" 17th April 1969). Dilyan is believed to have been killed by other Aborigines for breaking some tribal law but the exact date and manner of his death are uncertain. In April 1937, B.S. Ranford contacted the W.A. Historical society and provided details on dilyan's life and a rough sketch map showing the whereabouts of his grave. The W.A.H.S. initiated action to have the site protected and the Lands Department reciprocated by arranging for the survey of a small reserve.(Reserve 21924 was surveyed on 13th June 1938 - W. Hepple Brown Field Book 291page 7 - and declared on 11th November 1938) a plaque erected by the Historical Society at this grave was unveiled on 13th April 1969 ("Narrogin Observer" 17th April 1969).

DILYAN SPRING – origin of name
Comm C.P.Vereker (1888) of H.M.S.Myrmidon - Adm Roll Chart 53 - Adm Chart 1388H.S.Ranford (1886) FB 34 p.14 - KT Plan 158.Named after Dilyan, who discovered it, an Aborigine who accompanied Ranford to Cambridge Gulf in 1886. (See Dilyans Grave)For information on the meaning of this spring see notes by Ranford`s brother in Corr. 1309/37 p.2.

Cheers to all
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 477014

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 18:13

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 18:13
Phil

Thanks for that.

Please note however that the grave is south of the cemetery not north as indicated by "DILYAN - buried adjacent the BODDINGTON cemetery on the north side." If you look at the first picture of the sign post - this was taken looking north - the cemetery is on the left just before the start of the rise (not that you can see it).

I have Coates book but I cant find it :(

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 752189

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 18:28

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 18:28
Found it stop looking :)

Here is entry in the book (Coates Y & C (1986). Lonely Graves of Western Australia & Burials at Sea. Hesperian Press)

DILYAN (native), died 1886 - buried on the Marradong Road, near BODDINGTON. The actual grave is not beneath the memorial, but some distance away.

Dilyan was a very intelligent person and highly respected. His trustworthiness and expert tracking brought him great praise from Sir John Forrest to whom he rendered outstanding service in the exploration of the North West. There is a spring named after him at Cambridge Gulf in the Kimberley. On one occasion Sir John Forrest presented him with a gun with a silver plate on it, for his bravery.

Dilyan belonged to a tribe which lived within the boundaries of Wandering and Williams. He worked for B.S. Ranford and Jack Dowsett as a shepherd and his tracking ability was of immense value. He was later employed by Charlie Farmer, who was related to Jack Dowsett, and it was at this time he met his death.

Evidently Farmer sent Dilyan and two other natives to Boddington for goods. On their way back one of the natives suddenly sprung up and fatally stabbed Dilyan. This proved to be the result of a long standing feud between the local tribes. A particular native of a neighbouring tribe had been murdered some years previously by a member of Dilyan’s tribe. To atone for this by tribal law, Dilyan was marked to die and a certain native was marked to do the killing, and because the killing was a result of tribal law, very little could be done. {N.T. 1879-1901)

{Refer: '”The Horses Came First”, by Albert Schorer)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 752192

Reply By: Bill BD - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 20:01

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 20:01
I think I read the alternative description of Dilyan's origins in the book Becoming Boddington, by J. Ferrell. I don't have a copy to refer to though.
AnswerID: 477033

Sponsored Links