Which replacement 3 way fridge to fit ?

Hi,
I have a 13 year old 90 litre Elecrolux 3 way RM2310 fridge that I wish to replace. My fridge is graded as 'N/normal". I understand that I can obtain a higher graded model, (perhaps sub tropical ?). Not sure what is available, but would really like Tropical model if possible.
Can members, who have recently replaced their tired unit, give me advice on which 3 way brand is the best performer nowadays, and whether it can be fitted by myself. Even if I have to pay a gas fitter to do the legal stuff. Is there a conversion kit to allow fitment on models with top controls? My fridge is the old model with controls on the floor.(hopeless !)
Thank you, Barry
PS, Any good places to buy on Adelaide ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wozikev - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 10:52

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 10:52
Hi Barry,
I think all the fridges have top controls now so no probs there. The best advice I can give you is not to install any fridge that is not rated 'T' for tropical.
Anything less than Tropical will struggle when the mercury climbs towards the 40's and you will be very disappointed.

Cheers ...................... Kev.
AnswerID: 477171

Reply By: LeighW - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 11:45

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 11:45
If you were happy with the performance of the RM2310 and you dont wish to do cabinent mods then replace it with the new Dometic equivilent model, the RM 2350 from memory.

You can also buy a conversion kit (from caravan arts suppliers) to plumb the gas from the bottom to the top and you will also probably need to by a new flu and vent kit to suit else you may void the warranty.

I just purchased suitable pipe and joiners, and the flu and vent kit.

I also found I could get the fridge cheaper from a discount electrical goods store cheaper than a caravan parts supplier.

Cheers
LeighW

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 477175

Follow Up By: barry22 - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 09:30

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 09:30
Hi Leigh,
Thank you for your advice.
Have you recently completed your change over? If so, can you answer some specific questions...
Did you find the job relatively straight forward. Any warnings for me?
Can you supply the name of the retailer who sold you your fridge. I am in Adelaide, and note that the caravan shops want $1350 for the new fridge. Can I expect better that that ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would get satisfaction by doing the job myself, and hopefully not get taken for a ride. I have had my fridge out in the past, so putting a new one back would not seem too difficult... with some warnings and advice from someone who has been there and done that.

Thank you for your assistance, Barry.
PS, Did you find that "tropical" grade fridges (90 litre,)were available ?
bmpears@bigpond.com
FollowupID: 752463

Reply By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 12:02

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 12:02
hi barry22
w to the best of my knowledge dometic bought out electrolux and are still using simular model reference codes RM--etc
2 of my past vans had electrolux fridges that worked ok on gas in hot climate areas but i use engel on my present camper a/frame
i do see threads on here from time to time about dometic fridges and more so airconditioners
so if you google the topic you will get lots of threads come up on google that will probably give you a lot of answersi n relation to eg problems and or satisfaction by users of dometic fridges
cheers barry
AnswerID: 477177

Reply By: disco driver - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 12:20

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 12:20
Hi Barry,
Before you get too carried away with your replacement fridge, make sure that you can fit it through the doorway.
Quite often the fridge is put in place as the van is being built around it and is bigger than any opening on the van.

A friend of mine had the same problem and couldn't get the old fridge out without either cutting it apart in the van or taking the roof off the poptop.
He finally got it all finished but had to suspend the poptop roof in his shed to get the new fridge in over the walls.

It was a bugga of a job, believe me, I was helping him to do it.

Disco.
AnswerID: 477180

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 15:54

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 15:54
If you have the battery power then get a compressor fridge of the same dimensions and you will not be disappointed.
They are around the same price.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 477203

Follow Up By: Member - Peter E1 (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 16:52

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 16:52
I concure. I can't understand why 3way fridges are fitted at all. With the battery/solar systems everyone is getting and the move towards free camping you can't beat a good 12/240volt fridge.
3 ways are useless on 12v and need to be almost perfectly level to work any other time. Sure they don't use much gas but with a good electrical set-up they don't use much power either.
Get an anderson plug to run it while on the road and you will be more than happy.
FollowupID: 752380

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:17

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:17
Member -Dodger replied:
"If you have the battery power " _----------------} then get a compressor fridge of the same dimensions and you will not be disappointed.
They are around the same price"end quote}

Hi Dodge
I believe you left out an important bit " and the solar panel capacity above any existing requirements"

Many Compreesor fridge proponents seem to fail to mention that little fact.
Peter
FollowupID: 753003

Reply By: skulldug - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 22:52

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 22:52
Have to agree with you Peter. I have had a bad run with three way fridges but never a problem with compressor fridges.

Skull
AnswerID: 477255

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:20

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:20
Hi Skull
Perhaps an explanation as to what the bad runs were would be usefull?
Most problems are due to very poor installations??

Peter
FollowupID: 753006

Follow Up By: skulldug - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 19:00

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 19:00
Peter,

You are right about bad installations but I had it checked by the dealer and independent caravan repair business. The install was OK but the dealer said the problem was that a non -T (tropical) rated model. If this is correct, it is pretty poor that these fridges are installed in caravans sold in SA. It can get hot here and keeping food at 20 below ambient isn't safe.

Cheers

Skull

FollowupID: 753211

Reply By: Best Off Road - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 16:42

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 16:42
We had two vans side by side. The one with an ST rated fridge went out to lunch at 35 degrees. The T rated fridge was still holding zero internal at ambient of 42. By this stage the ST was up to over 10.

Both Dometic. Both in Jayco vans.

Jim.

AnswerID: 477289

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 00:47

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 00:47
Don't rely on Jayco insulation. If you read the installation instructions there should not be any air gap on the sides of the fridge and the top should be blanked off at the rear. This is to stop the heat transferring over the top. My RM2350 S/T since modifying the insulation has operated just recently in 42 degree heat and it was cycling between 1.5 to 5 degrees on a setting of 3. I also have a computer fan installed which to-date has not been used. Shade on the side where the fridge is also helps. Have a good think about it, it is easily done.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 752511

Follow Up By: barry22 - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 21:51

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 21:51
I am looking to replace my "N"rated 3 way with a higher rated unit. "T (tropical) climate class if available. I dont think these are available in 90 litre size however. I am waiting for an email from Dometic re this query.
Does anyone know what make a tropical fridge a tropical fridge ? And why on earth arent ALL of the fridges sold in Ozz Tropical rated ?????

Bewildered Barry

FollowupID: 752846

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 02:11

Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 02:11
Hi Barry,

In answer to " what makes a tropical fridge a tropical fridge " The burner and coils etc at the rear.

Go for the 90 liter 2350 ST. The tropical fridges start around 120 liter from memory and are to big for the space you have. It is a while since I did the replacement.The 105 liter ? is only a N rated fridge and took over from the 4400/4401. As I said before the secret is in the insulation.Think about R5 batts and that silver backed paper they use in roofing.
Don't wait to long for a reply from Dometic, They plead ignorance.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 752858

Follow Up By: barry22 - Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 20:55

Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 20:55
Hi Tony,
Thanks for your advise. I am confused after having emailed Dometic, getting redirected to the SA "distributor", (a caravan shop), and having the guy there assure me that there are NO climate class ratings for Dometic fridges. "They are all the same", and the installation is the important item. We all know that, don"t we.

I picked up the latest Dometic brochure today, and find that their fridges have "Performance enhanced cooling units--designed and manufactured for the harsh Australian conditions". I can't see any reference to there being a choice of any climate classes ! My 13 year old model label says mine is an "N" class.

I have not yet seen a current 90 litre fridge, but intend to see some asap. I really would like to be sure that there really are ST rated fridges. I was disappointed that Dometic gave me the flick, and that as a consequence, I might have been misled by the local SA dealer.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I was told by another member that there are retail outlets (other than expensive caravan shops), that will sell these fridges for better prices. The best I have found thru' van dealerships is $1349. I would also like a comment on whether I should/could fitted myself.

Heres hoping I can get some good info from members.

Thanks Barry
FollowupID: 752943

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 23:29

Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 23:29
Hi Barry,
Haven't looked for a couple of years. As they are made in
The ratings are actually for Europe and according to Dometic/Electrolux are not applicable to Oz. Like hell they are not, they apply more so.Unfortunately the " T " rating only apply to the larger fridges.The 105 ? litre is rated as " N ". Both of the 2350/5 are the only ones that are rated as " ST ".
Have a look at the condensers and piping at the rear. The larger fridges have a different set up . The 2350 manual and the 2355 auto are different to the 105 litre 7401 and the 4211. Or were when I replaced the original 4401.
Go for the 2350 manual rather than the auto 2355 auto..In other words kiss or Keep it simple stupid. (Mods that is an expression for a long time and it is not derogatory in any form)

That c/van character in S.A. speaks with forked tongue or else he is a dumb cluck and doesn't know his product.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 752967

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 23:32

Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 23:32
Should have completed the first paragraph.
Should read -- made in Sweden it should still show the rating

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 752968

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:31

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:31
Member - Tony S (WA) posted:
Don't rely on Jayco insulation. If you read the installation instructions there should not be any air gap on the sides of the fridge and the top should be blanked off at the rear. This is to stop the heat transferring over the top{End quote }

Hi Tony

May I add /suggest a change in wording?
"Do not rely on any van, or motor home, makers installation"

Very very few are correctly installed or wired for optimum operation

Peter
FollowupID: 753009

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:29

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:29
Hello Peter,

Yes I agree with you. None have been installed correctly some are worse than others.
Mine had about a 30mm gap on one side and 20mm on the other. The wiring was reasonable but not perfect. OK back in '96 I assume they didn't know much. However these days..........
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753016

Sponsored Links