Troop Carrier

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 12:39
ThreadID: 91713 Views:8159 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

I have just bought a 2000 troop carrier and intend to convert the rear to sleeping and storage. The cost of sliding drawers is beyond the budget when other costs are included. Using the vehicle on the CSR and Simpson in May/June

Looking to remove the side seats and put in a false floor say 300mm high with storage underneath the floor. Possibly flat 80 litre diesel and water tanks as well, rather than a roof carrier

I would appreciate any views on these types of modifications and any pics of successful alterations

Cheers

Gary
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 12:58

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 12:58
Hi Garry,

We have detailed our Troopy set up in a blog that you can see via this link here.

Although ours is an older Troopy they haven't changed that much over the years. Our mods have done a lot of travelling and have stood the test of time.

You may need an engineers certificate if removing the rear seats.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 477186

Follow Up By: Member - Gary F1 - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 13:17

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 13:17
Thanks Val

The set up looks great

Cheers

Gary
FollowupID: 752359

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 14:10

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 14:10
Hi Gary,

We have a 2002 Troopy with the rear bench seats removed and a bed base with 150mm foam mattress mounted 400mm above the floor. It is similar to John & Val's but without fitted drawers. Instead we use only plastic crates with lids slid under the bed and lift these out onto the ground at the campsite. The 35 litre Waeco fridge is mounted on the rear door and is easily accessible without lifting.... swings under the bed. Our bed height allows us to sit up in bed, but we are not too tall.

Three 40 litre poly water tanks are positioned behind the front seats with hoses run to the rear door.

There is some current issue between this site and my Mac computer which will not allow upload of photos but if you would like some just MM me your email address and I will send them.

Good travels Gary. The Troopy is a great off-road touring vehicle.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 477196

Follow Up By: Member - Gary F1 - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 17:58

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 17:58
Hi Allan

Thanks. You set up sounds really good. There are some really great ideas around. I am not sure if I will have the time to build something similar to John and Vals. I Am also tying to complete a house renovation before I go.

My email is:
gary@twofoxes.cpm.au

and I would appreciate copies of the photos.

Cheers

Gary
FollowupID: 752383

Reply By: Atta Boy Luther - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 20:35

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 20:35
I removed the side seats . Then i bought some angle brackets from bunnings and used the holes that the top of the seats bolted too . The brackets are about 50mm x 100mm heavy about 4mm thick. About $3 each . Then i bought 2 sheets of 21mm structural ply for $75 each . They even cut to size for free . The height under the ply from the floor is about 500mm . Room too store lots of stuff . I put a matress on the ply . Works a treat .
AnswerID: 477233

Reply By: Pebble - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 21:45

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 21:45
Another idea for you. Considering the back seats lift up, what my Husband did on a troopy we had was build cupboards under the seats. There was enough overhang so that a couple of boards could be put across the middle with a mattress on top (suppose same thickness as the seats would be ideal. And voila you have your bed!
The picture below was after we had the first kid and a fridge was added in place of one of the seats so we no longer used it for the bed set up.

AnswerID: 477311

Follow Up By: Member - Gary F1 - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 10:48

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 10:48
Thanks Guys for some really great ideas.

I wil start work on it on Monday!!!

Cheers

Gary
FollowupID: 752528

Reply By: IAN B8 - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:55

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:55
HI I have a 2000 troopy set up as a camper I bought it with pop top double bed and have added 3 ironman drawers 2 in the back and I cut a hole in the passengers side in front of the wheel and put the 3rd draw here. A fridge slide was added to carry 80lt waeco , Water tanks 60lt cold and 40 lt hot with shower powered by 2 12volt pumps . pulled the seats out and replaced with 2 buckets and made up large console and cup holders between the seats. you cant have enough storage. Fitted air bags on rear that with a full load keep it level. I am at the present pulling the 1HZ and replacing with 1HDFT . Will plan to head west as soon as I STOP F******G spending money on this rigg. have taken it down the Darling from Moree to Broken Hill and back it was fantastic to see the country in agood season. 8/8/2011 The troopy went well camping was easy to setup but the 1hz a bit slow hence the 1HDFT. I would go for the draws maybe expensive but they make so much usable space and everything has to be easy to get to.
cheers Ian
AnswerID: 477545

Sponsored Links