Ideas to vent a storage box

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 14:20
ThreadID: 91717 Views:7863 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
We have a Rodeo with big metal tool boxes on each side of the tray. One of these will house the 80L waeco fridge and AGM battery. We have been told we will need to place a vent in the box for the fridge to work effectively but do not want dust to be sucked into the box as we are going on the Gibb river Rd. Does anyone have any ideas for venting the box and have readers who store their fridges in boxes on their campers etc. found it necessary to do this?
thanks, Carreen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 15:31

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 15:31
The best thing would be a positive air pressure intake then a vent. In short a similar set up to a snorkel to your motor then a vent to expel the air. One at the bottom the other at the top thus forcing the air in then circulating. You can get some good vents that are filtered from a boating shop like Bias. The filter material used on Revers cycle air-cons is also good for dust and can be washed.

Craig
AnswerID: 477201

Follow Up By: Carreen - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 08:54

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 08:54
Thanks Craig we will look into it.
Carreen
FollowupID: 752460

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 16:08

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 16:08
Image Could Not Be FoundHi Carreen,
Have you though about just insulating the box so it won't get hot in the sun. Vents will only lead to insects and ants getting in. But you could try this:see photo

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 477204

Follow Up By: Carreen - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 08:54

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 08:54
Hi Andy,
Unfortunately the boxes are already bolted to the car and the fridge fitted so that may not be an option but we are fixing an awning over the fridge box that will offer some protection from the sun.
Thanks, Carreen
FollowupID: 752459

Reply By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 19:27

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 19:27
you need some considerable ventilation, both for the sake of the efficiency of the fridge and for dealing with the ventilation requirements of the battery...(there is no such thing as a completly sealed battery).

A couple of slots simply is not going to cut it.

I used to build equipment cabinets, that got filled with heat generating gear.

A postive air preasure arrangement is deffinitely the go.

One or two 120mm computer fans will move a lot of air, standard off the shelf car air filters work very well for filtration, just sandwedge them on with some plate and long bolts....of fit a pod filter to a flange

making it all look good and weatherproof just requires some imagination and a little bit of tradesman like "craft".

as for the air outlets.....if the box is not well sealed the air will come out of every crack, joint, and slot....I used to build in 10mm clearnces at the top and bottom of the doors on the simple units.....a metal speaker grill or a deck vent at the other end of the box will work.

the marine shops will have bilge blowers, but they may go a bit hard.

In the quieter places I use to use simple voltage regulator boards to controll the fan speed and the noise.....most 12 volt fans will run just fine as low as 5 or 6 volts.

OH when buying these fans, buy from the electronic shops not the computer shops, the actual computer fans run slower for less noise...and ore often a bit cheapy

I note that jaycar/electus now have a IP55 rated fan.

cheers

AnswerID: 477223

Follow Up By: Carreen - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 08:58

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 08:58
Thanks for the info we will investigate further. It is at the 12v shop at the moment getting all wired with the camper and we spoke to the owner who seemed to think the boxes were big enough for the fridge to cope inside. I wonder what people do with the fridge mounted in the box on the front or inside the camper. The caravan and camping show is here soon I may go for a wander and pick people's brains. Carreen
FollowupID: 752461

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 18:32

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 18:32
Carreen,
Are your boxes aluminium?
I used a remote thermometer inside the canopy for a few years and the inside temp was never more than a couple of degrees above ambient.

I had plans for all sorts of ways to vent the two fridges in my aluminium canopy - in the end I kept it fully sealed. I found the white finish on the canopy was very reflective and that the aluminium transmits the heat and cold fairly well.

I also decided against any form of insulation - I figured it would tend to keep the heat in, and have found insulation is also unnecessary.
AnswerID: 477296

Follow Up By: Carreen - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 21:52

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 21:52
Hi Phil,
Yes they are and they look about the same size as the ones in your picture so I think I am going with no vent and see how the fridge copes.
Thanks, Carreen
FollowupID: 752502

Sponsored Links