Long Range Tank - Fuel Gauge?

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 21:53
ThreadID: 91726 Views:4497 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at replacing the sub-tank on my diesel 100 series landcruiser, and I was initially looking at the 4WD Systems tanks, however after reading more bad experiences than good with these I'm now looking at the LongRanger 180L tanks.

My question with these tanks is can the existing fuel gauge be used or do we have to go with the gauge that comes with the tank? I'd really prefer NOT to have another fuel gauge up front when there is a perfectly good gauge already there...
I have read bits and pieces about modifying the float arm on the original fuel sender unit, but haven't come across anything definitive.

Or is there another recommended alternative tank ??

Cheers,
Geoff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Gaz@Gove (NT) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 00:05

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 00:05
geodementia

I replaced my original sub tank with a Longranger 180l tank a few years back.
Yes you do have to extend the original float arm (extension supplied) just get the angle exactly as per instructions (exact angle supplied on instruction sheet) and your existing fuel gauge is used. There are several threads on here from people who have done the measurements on indicated levels and how much is in the tank. I keep the list in the consloe but can't remember the figures exactly. ( I'm at work so getting them is a bit difficult)
I use the big tank as the main and the other as the sub, but haven't changed the changeover switch to reflect that as yet.
The instructions were easy to follow and all the extras supplied, as far as I can remember. The hardest part for me was shortening the filler hose and getting it back on the filler pipe.

We've done the Gibb River road twice and several trips to darwin from Gove since fitting it and had no problems at all.

Now I've jinxed myself :)

Gaz.
Mmmmmmmm, now where do we go next?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 477259

Follow Up By: Member - geodementia - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 17:57

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 17:57
Thanks Gaz,

I'm not too fussed if the readings on the gauge are a little out. Looking on the Long Ranger site it's not clear that the existing gauge can be used as they are plugging their own sender and gauge as if it's the only one that fits the tank. Just need to find where to get one now, the local ARB here in Alice only does LRA tanks, not Long Ranger :-(
FollowupID: 752561

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 10:09

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 10:09
Geoff,
I agree with Gaz. I fitted the Long Ranger tank to my LC100TD about 5 years ago. The gauge worked as described. The installation was a little bit fiddly but provided you have a good floor jack and a second pair of hands when needed it is ok. I have had no problems over many fills.

If you do go ahead then make sure your suspension is up to scratch as when full it is a significant extra weight. I have polyair bags and HD coils which all work well when fully laden with fuel & gear.

cheers
AnswerID: 477276

Follow Up By: Member - geodementia - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 17:54

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 17:54
Thanks - I do plan to follow up with a set of Polys for the rear to help with the load.. Sounds like the Long Ranger tank is the way to go...
FollowupID: 752560

Reply By: rumpig - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 18:41

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 18:41
as said above the existing gauge is used, once my gauge hits the line for empty i know i can still drive atleast 100 klms.
AnswerID: 477297

Sponsored Links