anyone making bread/damper in thermal cook pot?

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 15:45
ThreadID: 91736 Views:7129 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I haven't been able to find this particular question answered by searching old threads. I am considering a thermal cook pot (like the dream pot for example) and have done a bit of research. It looks like a great item for certain uses. My specific question however is, when using it for bread or damper, do you get a crust or even a brown top? As that is my favourite part!! The ony mention I saw suggested that you do not. I can always stick to my camp oven in that case but just interested if anyone has the answer from personal experience, thanks, Fraun
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 17:05

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 17:05
I've had scones that someone else cooked in their Cobb Cooker and they were well browned. Be aware there are two types of these things, one is like a giant Thermos Flask and then there is the Cobb Cooker style that uses heat beads.
AnswerID: 477291

Follow Up By: Member - IdahOz - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 18:27

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 18:27
Thank you, Yes, I am aware of the differences and was interested in whether bread browned and crisped in the 'giant thermos variety.'

The thermal pot and the Cobb cooker would serve different purposes in the cooking kit. The idea of the thermal one is that you can prepare a meal in the am, say right after brekkie, then travel all day and have it ready for you to eat when you stop for dinner without waiting for a meal to cook.
FollowupID: 752487

Reply By: Member - Barry H (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 19:06

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 19:06
Hi IdahOz,

I have both the Cobb cooker, and the Dream Pot and yes you are correct they are used for two different types of cooking, both have their uses.

As for bread in the Dream Pot I think you will struggle to get a brown crisp crust on it, the Dream Pot just cant generate enough heat to brown and crisp bread.

Thats a job for the Cobb or the camp oven, yes we carry one of them as well.

Regards

Barry H
AnswerID: 477298

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 00:12

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 00:12
Hi IdahOz

As no-one has come forward with actually having cooked bread in a thermal cooker, i will speculate that it wouldn't be hot enough to cook the bread. I would probably be OK for rising the dough, but not for cooking. But if you have one - try it and see, and let us know the result (be it good, bad or ugly). I decided not to get one, so can't try it out.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 477318

Reply By: ljsroslyn - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 07:41

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 07:41
I have tried gluten free bread, scones and cakes in my Dream Pot and no you can not get them brown. Having said that all that I cooked were still good eating. Hope that helps
AnswerID: 477328

Reply By: Member - IdahOz - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 16:53

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 16:53
Thanks for all your responses. I think we can safely say that you won't get a crisp crust on bread from a dreampot, but that doesn't mean it isn't a great piece of equipment. I don't think I'll be investing in one as I am not organised enough to plan and start meals ahead of time. I think it would be one more gadget to end up in the garage sale LOL
AnswerID: 477366

Reply By: Andrew & Jen - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 18:54

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 18:54
Hullo Fraun
When in doubt, Google is your friend. Go to Thermal Cookware / recipes / bread - you will see a number of ways of making bread / damper using thermal pots. They all talk about moist cooked bread, which is understandable as they won't be browned / crisp at 80C!
We have used our thermal cooker for those times when we know we will be getting back into camp late and to have a meal cooked, hot and ready to serve is handy, eg, curry, stew, etc
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 477372

Follow Up By: Member - IdahOz - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 20:12

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 20:12
Thanks Andrew
FollowupID: 752566

Reply By: Member - Gordon T (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 20:14

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 20:14
Geez no, not the garage sale - use it at home. That's where ours gets most of its use and saves on heating up the kitchen as well as electricty - and does good meals (like curries) into the bargain.
AnswerID: 477376

Reply By: Member - *Rusty* - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 00:34

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 00:34
The answer is NO! haha

I have a dreampot and tried to cook a savoury bread and a damper and the answer YUK!

Mother in law and i tried xmas before last while camping (and she's a good cook and it was her dreampot before we bought it off her) and we both decided after the dogs wouldnt eat it, we would never speak of the experience again! lol

She siad you can make steamed puddings and the like but its no good at cooking stuff like dry cake or bread etc.

Good for stews and thats about it in my opinion :)
AnswerID: 477466

Sponsored Links