Fitting a Delphi cav 296 diesel filter

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 18:07
ThreadID: 91742 Views:7071 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I was given a delphi 296 fuel filter and was wanting to fit this to my ford ranger pk 2010 3 Ltr turbo diesel for a little extra protection of contaminated fuel. Is there anything I should be aware of when fitting this filter to my car.

Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: lindsay - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 19:51

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 19:51
If you are placing on filter in line with the other one and they are the same microns, you are wasting your time. As when the fuel gets filtered in the first filter only clean fuel will flow into the second filter and unless you have a failure in the first filter. This is highly unlikely you will achieve nothing. Running two filters in this way is a fallacy. You would be better off by plumbing them in parallel and therefor increase the filtration area, decreasing the flow through each filter. If you really want to improve things and make it cheaper to maintain, is to use a 795 element instead of a 295 and have a good sediment bowl at them bottom of it,. You could then run it by itself.

AnswerID: 477302

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 20:21

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 20:21
You should read this article on pre filters.
Water Watch System - Responsive Engineering
www.responsiveengineering.com.au
Stan
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 477304

Reply By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 22:39

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 22:39
I think Lindsey meant a 796 filter.

It's a good idea to run a primary filter on any CRD engine and is what most are doing..... the factory filter is about 2 microns and anything above that for a primary is OK.

If you do get a dose of something bad a primary filter will hopefully catch most it before the factory filter; meaning instead of getting stuck somewhere with a blocked main filter you can bypass the primary and travel on..... then if the factory filter gets blocked you have done as much as you can.

A factory filter will flow more then enough fuel for you engine even if it becomes semi blocked.

A Lindsey said the most important thing is the sediment bowl, if you do pick up some water the water trap of the factory filter will only catch and hold so much.... once full water will get in to the injection system...... adding a larger primary sediment bowl in theory you can filter out more water and hopefully catch it all before it's to late.

Using a primary filter is not going to hurt and only can benefit the fuel system.

AnswerID: 477315

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 07:01

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 07:01
The only concern with adding a second filter is affecting the flow rate of fuel. Make sure you check what flow rate your engine needs and what flow rate the filter can deliver.

Modern common rail diesel engines use the fuel flow to cool the fuel pump. IF you starve the fuel pump of fuel it will not get cool enough especially in those critical times when you are giving it heaps. Not sure how much your fuel pump costs but I was quoted $10,000 to replace mine. Sounds like a lot so I try and make sure I never actually find out if that price is real.

Other than that there are a range of prefilters that you can use. A water trap filter comes to mind as probably one of the essential ones to get - and I believe they come with an alarm (I am yet to save up for one).

Best just carry spare OEM filters with you. I have a CAV filter and have left it in the shed.

Manufacturers just make it harder nowadays to have a better car.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 477323

Sponsored Links