long range fuel tank

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 22:30
ThreadID: 91751 Views:2639 Replies:8 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
I've got an 80 series and I need to carry more fuel.

The most common replacement is to replace the 50 litre sub tank with a 166 litre long range tank. I'm concerned about an extra 115 kilo (+) hanging out past my rear axle.

When we're fully loaded there's already the steel bar plus two spares and the other gear in the back with a Shipp Shape roof top tent.

The other option is a 145 litre replacement of the main tank giving an extra 55 litres but it's between the axles.

The suspension has been upgraded but it's the added weight at the rear that has me tossing up what to do.

Am I worrying tooo much??

eighty matey
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 22:51

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 22:51
Yes your worrying toooooooooooo much..... there are many vehicle getting around with this configuration.

Sure you will notice the extra weight and as for suspension you rear will be under more load.... in the center of the vehicle is idea as it load shares front to rear.

But then again a 4x4 is not a race car so handling should not be an issue.

In our 200 series we have managed to load share very well and place most weight lowdown in the center..... 55 lt water tank, 60 lt fridge, all electronics and 100kg of batteries.

Balancing makes a huge difference in off road ability and handling.
AnswerID: 477316

Follow Up By: patsproule - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:55

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:55
I gather you had to do the GVM upgrade then?
FollowupID: 752626

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 14:17

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 14:17
We have a Lovell GVM upgrade before rego taking it from 650kg load capacity up to 1150kg.
FollowupID: 752631

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 06:38

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 06:38
Hi eighty matey,
Have you looked into a set of air bags?
They will Assist with the extra weight over the rear.
I installed a set in our 80 a couple of years ago and have found they help heaps. We tow a very heavy old modified Jayco Swan plus all the gear in the rear, Fridge, Spares, and a a truck load of other stuff, with three kids, it's amazing the gear we have to carry.

AnswerID: 477322

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 12:27

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 12:27
Hi hairy

I think that he is worried about the new weight behind the axle. The air bags do not move weight forward.

So how can they help apart from maybe lifting the rear and a slightly softer ride?

Phil
FollowupID: 752536

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 16:33

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 16:33
Hi Phil,
You're right it wont move the weight forward, but what they will do is help the rear not wallowing about as much. I carry a fair amount of weight in the back at times with bags of Concrete, timber and other associated gear as well as my tools(Carpenter). Which can at times weight a fair bit. After installing the bags I found the vehicle handled a lot better. I do have the stock springs and a cheaper set of shocks, but I could image with better suspension the addition of airbags could only be a benefit.

FollowupID: 752554

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 16:42

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 16:42
Some people believe the air bags do move weight forward. No worries.

One fay I should weigh the car and see what is over tyhe back. We have the larger tank and put heavier springs on it and it feels fine to us. But then again we do not carry concrete around in the 100 either.

Cheers Jon

FollowupID: 752556

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 18:26

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 18:26
Also when heavily loaded I'm not traveling off road either. All black top, so the vehicle isn't swaying from side to side like when driving trails and tracks.
I think sometimes we ask a lot of our vehicles, the weight they carry or tow, the terrain they cross and as with mine, Age shall not weary her. LOL

FollowupID: 752563

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 07:08

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 07:08
It's a diminishing weight Matey. I have the same issue in the 79 but just ensure I empty the subtank first. If the majority of your travel is on bitumen, it shouldn't be a worry.

On airbags, should only be used as a load assist and not to carry as much weight as possible. Mounts and axel housings may suffer as a result.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 477324

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 07:17

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 07:17
yeah, your right Mick.
I forgot to mention that about Air Bags.
They're not used to lift the weight, just to help with it.

FollowupID: 752514

Reply By: anglepole - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 16:51

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 16:51
Hello,

A few years ago I ran my Jackaroo over a weigh bridge and found that its gross mass was over, and I was only carrying the basics. If I remember correctly the Jackaroo had a GVM of 3000. I would expect that your would be a bit more.

The trouble with being over loaded you run the risk of being wiped off by your insurance company. Another 115 kilo plus batteries, passengers, bull bar, tent, storage and general cargo, it does not take long to exceed GVM.

Good Luck with your mods

AnswerID: 477365

Follow Up By: Member - shane c5 - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 19:41

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 19:41
Howdy, the GVM is important no doubt so best weigh it loaded, kids and all. I have just added a 180L long ranger tank frorm ARB on my troopy and gained an extra 6inches exit clearence as a result. Calibrating the fuel gauge is an issue but ARB is looking after that. The biggest problem is the extra load on axle and wheel bearings. Might want to make sure they are overhauled before the trip. Have noticed no handling problems and the vehicle still sits right on the road and no loss of steering. Have noticed need a little more distance for braking though, so have to drive accordingly.

Have a great trip.

shane c5
FollowupID: 752564

Reply By: eighty matey - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 18:57

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 18:57
Thanks for all the replies.

Phil is right when he says I'm concerned about the new weight behind the axle but as Mick says it will be used as I go.

Next big trip is west from Alice on the Gary Junction Hwy and home through the Simpson to Birdsville. Both times we'll be heading off road at the GVM. I have a lot of faith in the 80 series but I've just been thinking about the stresses on the chassis with a lot hanging off the rear end.

I need the tank but because I'm not keen on jerry cans and I like to use the best quality fuel I can. This will give me more choice.

Plus I can get a brand new 166 litre tank from 4wd World for $995.00, ex Newcastle.

I'm not one for rushing into things and I appreciate being able to bounce my thoughts off the Explore Oz forum members.

Hoo roo,
eighty matey.

AnswerID: 477373

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 22:26

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 22:26
I am just going through the same delema. My 200 GX has 48ltr sub tank at the rear.
I can replace that with a 70 ltr and retain the tyre under the vehicle. Or I can remove the tyre and have an option of fitting 90 or 180 tank in its place.

IMOP its not worth fitting the 70ltr tank only 20 lts more then standard.
I am thinking 90 as a compromise as I am also concerned about the weight of a 180 ltr tank. True you dont have to have it full all the time only when needed.

Cheers
Wayne B
FollowupID: 752580

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 22:37

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 22:37
As a Note I needed 182 lts of fuel for my HJ80 1HD-T to cross the Simpson from Oodadatta. Towing a camper trailer I averaged 20 lts per 100km.

I had air bags fitted and they helped with supporting the weight. The rear shockers would fade out during the warmer parts of the day making for a bouncy ride.

I had additional 60 lts of fuel on the roof rack which resulted in the rack moving forward 6 inches. I would not carry that much weight on the roof again I would rather have it under the car somewhere.

Cheers
Wayne B
FollowupID: 752583

Follow Up By: eighty matey - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 22:48

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 22:48
I wouldn't have the tank full often but when it's full I'll be carrying everything else I might need.

I'm thinking the benefit of having the extra fuel down low and out of the way is worth putting the tank in.

As Mick O said, "It's a diminishing weight", so when I head off is as heavy as it's going to be.

Have fun,

eighty matey
FollowupID: 752584

Reply By: Member - Anthony W Adelaide - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 23:50

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 23:50
4WD Systems in Adelaide have a 190 litre tank to suit. We are having one fited in the next few weeks due to the long ranger tank developing cracks in the seams (welds) and leaking during our last two trips. I have had it repaired twice up until now but I dont want to chance it happening again. It can be a bit nerve racking in a petrol vehicle.
In its defence however, it has done a lot of hard kms (well over 100k) on rough roads so its had a hard life.

Cheers
Wooly VKS-737 Mobile 0058

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 477388

Follow Up By: eighty matey - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 06:50

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 06:50
Thanks Wooly.
FollowupID: 752601

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 19:53

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 19:53
hi eighty matey,
wouldnt worry to much but my experience is as follows,
I had the setup you are thinking of on my 97 model 80 series petrol.
std 95 litre tank and 166 long ranger at the back,. vehicle was set up this way when I pruchased it.
it had ARB ome suspension 863's and 864's from memopry
As I towed a trailer with 100 kg ball wieght I had to replace the rear springs as they would handle either the lr fuel tank or towing but not both.
went dobinson extra heavy duty 4' lift with effectively gave me a 2'" lift when fully loaded.
I dont like air bags, springs are designed to carry load and shockers stop springs rebounding.
Only had a single spare carrier/ std bumper but for canning trip(without trailer) fitted a 2nd carrier with 20 litre water and 4 kg gas bottle. on the roof rack I carried 2nd spare , 40 litres of fuel and a roof top tent.the roof rack was moved all the way forward so the front was level with the windscreen .
all up the vehicle weighed in at 3.72 tonne gross when fully loaded with 2 people, fridges,food, 100 liitres water,tools and gear.

when i did the simpson first time in my older92 model 80 series I just put 120 litres of fuel and 2 extra spares on roof.
std tanks no rear wheel carriers. emptied a jerry every 80-90 km to get rid of high up weight quickly and no worries.

personally i would rather run weight on the roofrack between the axles for a shorter period of time than rather than unsprung weight over the back end all the time.
In saying that I think the best thing with the petrol 80 series was the 166 litre rear tank.
I would fit the tank and get rid of the heavy dual tyre carriers/ steel rear bar.you have nearly 100kg sitting afurther 450 -500 behind the axle all the time with the dual tyre carrier than a fuel tank which empties quicker than you really want it too.
regards
Howard

Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 477446

Follow Up By: eighty matey - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 22:32

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 22:32
Thanks for that Howard.

I'm keen on the dual wheel carrier because the Shipp Shape tent takes up all the roof, so we can't use the roof for carrying anything else.

I've taken on board what Mick O said about the fuel in the rear tank is a diminishing weight if I use that first.

We have no back seats in the wagon. The fridge, water tanks, tool box and recovery gear are carried between the two axles. That brings a fair bit of weight forward.

It's not often it will be loaded to the max but there are times when it fully loaded and we'll be hitting some full on tracks still carrying weight.

My main concern was structural and that hasn't been brought up in the discussion. With the OME suspension set up handling is really good.

Your truck looks like the goods. What you have is what we are setting our sights on for our next vehicle since there is now only two of us travelling in ours. It's got to make things more preactical.

Thanks for your input.

eighty matey.

FollowupID: 752681

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 15:25

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 15:25
The way I look at it em is if you are not travelling these extended remote trips regularly a long range tank is an expensive option that that has many repecussions. In reality you only need to carry additional fuel over & above the stock Toyota tanks for just a few days a years which in my experince can be done safely in jerry cans carried either in the car or on the roof. When a LRT is fitted it's a snowball effect where the spare needs to be relocated onto a heavier rear bar which in turn makes the car handle worse & use more fuel which then needs a suspension upgrade & a GVM upgrade. While you said that you're 80 is within GVM it is physically impossible to have a roof top tent, rear bar/carrier, long range tank & all your gear for a remote trip within Toyota specs.
Unfortunately most just keep adding gear as that is what Mr 4x4 & all the magazines show when ideally what can be done is look at what you need & where it will fit in it's entirety. For an 80 series with no rear seats carrying just 2 people I don't see the need for a tank at all.

"Am I worrying tooo much??" No you're right to worry with that much hanging out the rear.
Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 477493

Follow Up By: eighty matey - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 22:44

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 22:44
Thanks for your response Craig.

GVM is always on my mind but there's not much I can do about it.
We do about 50,000kms a year, work and play.

I'm always conscious of what we carry, where it's put, do we need it, where does it go. The reason we took out the back seats was to bring more load forward and that's why I was considering the main tank replacement rather than the rear tank.

Extended remote area trips is what we do and what we work for. We'd love to upgarde our vehicle to the ideal outback tourer but that's just not financially possible until we sell the house or win lotto.

I don't want to break my car. That's my main concern but, in reality, there is a minimum we must carry to be self sufficient for a minimum 7 days for some trips.

I appreciate the feedback I've received on this subject. There has been a lot of valuable advice and things to consider.

eighty matey
FollowupID: 752854

Sponsored Links