Selling secondhand caravans and campers

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 07:25
ThreadID: 91755 Views:2821 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Yesterday I sold my caravan which I did not have advertised on Explore Oz (but I do my camper). It was an interesting experience and the third van I have sold.

If caravans are an indication of the economy, things cannot be that good. I needed to sell it so progressively reduced the price knowing that eventually I would. Over that time I called several similar caravans for sale to ask their results. Most reported that I was the first call that they had recieved.

The retail price of my caravan is $84.500 so I started at $61.000. It has $4000 of extras for I thought this was a good starting price. This was November last year. By the 8th of February, I had reduced the price to $49.900 and still not recieved a single call. Then yesteday a offer of just $45.000.

Knowing that from experience the first offer is usually the best you will ever get, I took it at $47.000. Certainly a buyers market. Interested in hearing recent caravan selling expereinces.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Axle - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 09:52

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 09:52
Hi Carl, The price range dictates the sales i think , a bit like realestate at the moment, the top of the market is very slow, and like your van, to sell you just have to keep price dropping to suit the market....And of course there are those that want everything for nothing!!, I sold a cheap van about two years ago for $15,000 , it was in immaculate condition for age, Must of had a hundred lookers before it went..near drove us mad...lol.

Cheers Axle.
i
AnswerID: 477336

Follow Up By: farouk - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 16:37

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 16:37
Hi,
Sold my 2003 Jayco Heritage 21'6"with A/c, 160 watt solar and a 20year old genny + virtually all the gear inside for $33500 which cost us $38000 8 years ago within 4 days of advertising and 2 very interested buyers waiting in the wings.
Totally irrelevant what the same size van is new today when pricing a caravan, I just looked at what it cost us and considered that $4500 for 8 years enjoyment was pretty good value.
Perhaps we could have sold it for a bit more, but as a good business man told me many years ago "you have to leave a bit for the next fella" so be satisfied with a fair price. The money is in the bank at 6% and in 12 months the $33500 becomes $35500.
Colin
FollowupID: 752555

Reply By: Member - IdahOz - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 17:06

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 17:06
While I don't expect 'something for nothing' I just want to say that I have noticed that people expect very high prices for 'second hand' 'used' or 'preloved' items.
I check a lot of classifieds and Big ticket items (not just on exploroz) are frequently listed at 90% or more of original value.
I know for myself that if I am gonna pay that much for something I will choose to go the extra 10% and get something brand new with full warranty.
As a buyer of second hand goods, you never know exactly what you are getting and even tho I like to believe most people are trustworthy, you just don't know if someone is going to be completely honest about any issues. When spending the 10s of thousands of dollars required to get a fancy caravan or camper trailer it pays to be very careful obviously.
Personally I think that once something is 'pre-owned' it automatically loses about 30% of its value to me.
This is just a comment on my own opinion/value system and not a dig at anyone here on in this thread.
AnswerID: 477367

Reply By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 22:14

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 22:14
You sure copped a loss on that sale. As opposed to the other person that did very well with the Jayco.

I think it depends on the popularity of the thing being sold. Toyota have a high resale value then say Nissan. Some caravans are better known to buyers and they will sell for more then a less known or popular brand.

Some of these Box Trailers with a Tent on top for 30k+ seams crazy to me. Or 100 k + for a Kendron.

I have been looking at replacing my $5000 camper trailer with something more upmarket, however finding value for money is not easy and most of the ones I see are dearer and not as well equipped as what I already have. Did see a nice Coromal Off Roader for $45k New may well be worth a second look

Cheers
Wayne B
AnswerID: 477386

Reply By: Ian & Sue - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 13:00

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 13:00
We recently sold or 2008 Coromal Pioneer Corvair 541. I advertised it for $41K and had a phone call within days of placing the ad. The couple travelled around 900klms (round trip) to view it and bought it straight away.

I had expected that since we were living away from a city that we would be battling to sell it and had also expected to have to drop the price considerably so was very pleasantly surprised.
AnswerID: 477420

Sponsored Links