Trip to King Ash Bay

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 09:11
ThreadID: 91759 Views:2742 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone, we are planning a fishing trip to King Ash Bay in May, we have not been there before and any information on fishing from a twelve ft tinny would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
John And Maureen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 11:54

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 11:54
Hi John and Maureen,

Well I'll be watching this thread with interest as I'm also planning a trip there but probably more like September some time. It will form part of a 3 month trip that should see us travelling between Cairns and Darwin. The bride has told me to limit my fishing and off course I said "yes dear" but I had my fingers crossed hahahaha! I'm also considering Managoora as a fishing stopover as I've heard good reports.

I assume that May will be dependant on weather conditions with the last couple of years being very good wet seasons this year looks similar.

Kind regards

Theo
AnswerID: 477344

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 12:36

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 12:36
What wet season it hasn't rained here for over 2 months it is as dry as hell. And it looks like it will stay like that. I'm only 200klm from King Ash Bay. We are watering the grass just to keep it alive. You could be here now all roads are in perfect condition.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 752537

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 21:12

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 21:12
G'day Andy,

Been watching the weather with some interest and a close cyclone with lots of rain or so it seemed BUT I'm not there so I'll get back in my hole now. So what's the go with Manangoora ans Seven Emus these days are they still a worthwhile visit?

Kind regards

Theo
FollowupID: 752753

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:01

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:01
Hi Beatit, I'm on the other side at Lorella Springs so can't comment on that. But up here is great place for fishing and camping. The Rosie Creek is full of fish and there are billabongs all over the place with barra and red claw. There is a fishing camp at Rosie Creek only 90 klm from main camping ground where you can launch a boat and get out to the gulf. Oh and you are close to the southern lost city so you do some site seeing as well ( keep the bride happy).
Have a safe trip Andy
PS only got 3" rain at Xmas with cyclone but no rain since today is hot and sunny again.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 752776

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 22:18

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 22:18
G'day Andy,

Firstly my apologies to Maureen for stealing her thread. I also have a desire to get to Lorella Springs since watching a DVD on travelling the Savannah Way when some travelers took their Kedron van there.

I was most impressed with their experience and was left with a strong desire to go! So maybe I can now sell this to the bride as a sighseeing destination hahaha

Kind regards

Theo
FollowupID: 752850

Reply By: guy007 - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 12:32

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 12:32
Hi John and Maureen,
A group of us from Mudgee NSW go up to Borroloola each year to fish for Barramundi. We still have some Barra in the freezer from last year. We use tinnies from 3m to 3.8m and they are ideal for fishing in the river, trolling or casting. There are barra in good numbers along with mudcrabs and cherabins and red claw. You can travel upriver to the extent of the saltwater and into the fresh or you can venture down to the sea for species like mangrove jack, queenfish and threadfin salmon. King Ash Bay has all facilities but you may need to book. Mobile phones and next G internet work ok there if you have an external aerial. TV works as well. You will need to be self sufficient with power if you are camping. Some people come back each year to the same spot and stay long enough to establish their own veggie garden.
The river is full of crocs. Last year there were plenty to 5.5m. They dont bother you if you keep clear of them and dont do anything stupid like hang fish from the side of the boat.
In the past we have ventured out to the islands for some spectacular fishing. Its a long way but worth it.
A bit further down the river from King Ash is Batten Point. You can free camp there but would need to travel back to King Ash for your water and supplies.
We are leaving on May 11 for Borroloola. Might see you up there!
regards
Guy
AnswerID: 477347

Follow Up By: Member - Maureen W (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 20:57

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 20:57
Thanks Guy,
That was just the sort of information we were looking for. We are not sure of the exact date as there are others going too and we need to get together and finalise the details. We might just run into you up there, the fishing sounds great. My father came from Lue and we went to school in Mudgee many moons ago, John and I were over there three years ago.
FollowupID: 752570

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 21:33

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 21:33
Cant believe anyone would put a 3 mt tinnie in with plenty of 5.5 mt crocs.
Lived inArnhem land for 17 years and fly over the outback in chopper at least 2-3 times a week. Seen thousands of crocs but only 1 that I will say was definately 5+ meters. In a 3 mt tinny mate ...no comment.
How do you keep clear of a crocodile in a river?
FollowupID: 752572

Follow Up By: guy007 - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 10:37

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 10:37
Hi Bigfish,
Last June at Borroloola the Rangers were very concerned at the behaviour of 2 crocs estimated by them at 4.5 to 5.5 metres. They frequented a bank very close to the township. They brought in several croc traps to try and catch and move them on but had no luck while we were there. As luck would have it the bank that they were sunning on was adjacent to a very good fishing hole. As we trolled down the river and got close to the crocs they would move into the water. We would then turn and troll away back up the river. By the time we had gone 400 metres they were back up on the bank.
2 years ago an 80 year old couple in our party were traveling back from fishing and in an area where the rocks were thick in the middle of the river so had to travel close to the bank. A croc on the bank made a dash for the water and they hit it at a reasonable speed. The boat flew up into the air and was flung up and onto the bank. They were very shaken.
We first fishedBorroloola and the islands in 1967 and have been regular visitors since.
Cheers
Guy
FollowupID: 752614

Reply By: Member - nick b - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 21:48

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 21:48
hi Maureen : We fished there in the mid 90's the best fishing in a tiny was out near the mouth of the river ,Its a long way in a tiny ... need to zip along !!!!
only saw 2 crocs in 3 weeks and they were "BIG " a lot bigger than a tinny ...

For a bush camp at king ash bay was very good ...meals beer & plenty of fishing story's
cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 477384

Follow Up By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 20:04

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 20:04
Its a long way in a tiny ... need to zip along !!!!

you can say that again
we went up there in 2000 with a 3m tinnie and a 6hp motor
was home only a couple of weeks before we upgraded to something at least 6 times quicker (and a bit longer)
cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 752665

Reply By: Brunohamilton - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 07:34

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 07:34
I drove in to King Ash Bay yesterday, the road is good as we have had very little rain.
I go another 10 kn to Batten point to camp as there are less people, but I didn't go there yesterday as time was limited.
AnswerID: 477392

Sponsored Links