Towing small vehicle behind motorhome.

Submitted: Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:59
ThreadID: 91785 Views:11802 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Would like to hear from anyone who has towed small vehicle behind their motorhome. Your opinion on the use of car trailer or flat towing using Aframe type hitches? Any reasons for opting for your towing method?
Thanks and regards Ray
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 18:14

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 18:14
Ray,

Don't have a motorhome, but have towed a Toyota ute behind a grader, for some months last year. Used an A-frame, and even at 60 krh, the ute followed like a faithful dog. Didn't tie the steering wheel, or do anything, except wind up the window, and close the air vent.

However, on the odd time I had to reverse the combination, the front wheels would usually go onto full lock, depending on how soft the road surface was. So one might need to tie the wheel, if doing any reversing.

We see a number of motorhomes during the season, and would guess there are slightly more trailered vehicles, than A-frames ones. With a trailer you can also carry extra gear, such as tinnies etc. See some pretty flash trailers at times, that almost put the tow rig in the shade, with what they carry.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 477440

Reply By: pop2jocem - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 19:32

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 19:32
Ray,

Looked at the option of either a caravan towed by full size 4WD or motorhome towing a small 4WD. In the end we opted for a caravan but a motorhome may be more to your requirements. When we were looking at the motorhome option we were weighing up the pros and cons of trailer vs flat tow. One of the issues that needed to be considered for flat tow was the towed weight of the vehicle on the A frame vs the weight of the towing vehicle. In the event of the towed vehicle being more than a certain weight ratio the braking system of the towed vehicle had to be activated in some way. Sounded simple at first and certainly do-able but a bit more involved when you got down to it. On the other side of the ledger what do you do with a considerable size trailer when in a caravan park if you choose to go to one. Some bays are barely big enough to put up an annex and park your car. One park we were at a guy had to hook the trailer up to the smallish 4WD that normally rode on it and drag it out of the park or pay for an extra bay.
I guess at the end of the day we all have different requirements. Many years ago a mates father flat towed a Suzuki behind a Bedford bus converted to a motorhome and never used caravan parks so parking wasn't a drama for him and the old 2 stroke Suzuki was so light braking wasn't needed.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 477445

Follow Up By: Stevesub1 - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 09:18

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 09:18
Many years ago I used to flat tow my race car before I could afford a trailer. No problems at all , even at above the speed limit. However I would not do that now because of he braking problems but back in the good old days, anything was OK.

Stevesub
FollowupID: 752706

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 09:26

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 09:26
I have a van so doesn't apply to me. Talking to a motorhomer who was in the process of organizing to flat tow, one of the criteria he was looking at was whether or not the odometer operated when towing. The Suzuki Vitara doesn't. I guess if it concerns you, racking up the kms while towing could affect resale price down the track.
AnswerID: 477477

Reply By: Val - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 20:49

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 20:49
Ray,

We flat tow a Suzuki GV behind a Winnebago Esperance. We chose this option over a caravan as it has less impact on the tow vehicle; over a trailer as it was one less unit to pay rego on and to park when not in use; over a 5th wheel (we had one for 5 years) as like a caravan, there is less impact on the tow vehicle.

Still working out how best to protect the front of the Suzuki. Presently have a skirt on the back of the MH and a carbra for the Suzuki. I did find that very fine dust and small stones get under the top edge of the carbra and that has the potential to damage the paint work. I did get some 50mm wide stick-on heavy duty plastic and put that across the bonnet. It may not look pretty, but it saves the paint work.

Val
AnswerID: 477510

Sponsored Links