Another Caravan Question...?

Submitted: Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 15:46
ThreadID: 91787 Views:2578 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I believe I need to dust seal the upper & lower fridge vents while travelling dirt roads.
I thought of removing the retaining screw..gladwrapping the vent & replacing.
Fridge wont be running while mobile. I cant think of a quicker ,or more effective solution on a daily basis, but welcome your input. This issue must have been solved by the smarter among you...:)))). The vents are the common van
type, & are at the rear RHS..........oldbaz.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 16:18

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 16:18
My off road van went over all the outback roads you could mention most were unsealed and I never blocked the fridge vents as it was running on 12v (3 way) from the Patrol. All I did was to seal the fridge surrounds from the interior of the van then occasionally after doing some bulldust would vacuum out the rear cavity from the lower vent first then the from the top vent. Never had any trouble from the fridge in 10 years.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 477429

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 16:28

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 16:28
Thanks Dodg. I was anticipating a deluge , especially through the bottom vent. Will
try it out & see what happens.....oldbaz.
FollowupID: 752637

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 16:34

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 16:34
Hi Oldbaz

We have no trouble with dust coming in through the fridge vent, and what little does come in settles on the floor around the compressor and can be swept out if necessary when we get home, as it does no harm. I have seen vents replaced with perspex, and an internal vent used instead. However if the dust is a problem to you, try the glad wrap, although it might tear with airflow - or try a heavier plastic.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 477430

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 17:03

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 17:03
Thank You. Motherhen. I have perhaps overestimated the problem & will do a trial
before any action is taken.cheers....oldbaz.
FollowupID: 752643

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 16:56

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 16:56
As long as the fridge compartment is sealed from the interior of the van dust won't be a problem. Having said that, I have never got much dust in the fridge compartment on dirt roads.
AnswerID: 477432

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 17:05

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 17:05
Thanks Rod. I will check that sealing & give it a go....oldbaz.
FollowupID: 752644

Reply By: Lifetime Member-Heather MG NSW - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 17:41

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 17:41
Hi Baz,

We don't bother covering the fridge vents and always run the fridge on 12v when travelling...any dust which does come in underneath is vacuumed out when we get home, and we haven't had any problems with the way it runs.
If you do want to run it on 12v make sure you get it wired with heavy wire so it works efficiently....we have a direct wire from the car battery with a cut out switch when the car is turned off, so we can't flatten the battery. It maintains the temperature at the same level as when on gas or 240v and we have a two door 184litre Dometic so its quite a big one.

Did the Oodnadatta track, Mereenie loop, and quite a lot of dirt road in the SW corner of Qld on the way home last Winter.

We do cover the vent on the door of the van though, usually a beer carton is useful for that...and an excuse to have to drink beer, if you need an excuse!

Regards to you and Roz,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 477438

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 08:45

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 08:45
Hi Heather, it seems likely that dust wont be an issue, so will do a trial. I know the van will require a wiring upgrade for 12v. We plan to try it without power when driving, as it wont be opened during the day, & run it on 240 or gas when stopped. This worked fine on the 3way in the car when we went to Perth last time. This time
that fridge will run 24/7 & the van job will be a sort of cool box...we hope. Going to
Jingellic next weekend, weather permitting, for a shakedown with the new toy, before
our last foray to WA about May.
Cant believe it is a year since we chatted in sunny Taswegia..:)))).

Best wishes to you & John............oldbaz.

FollowupID: 752700

Sponsored Links