insurance 3" lift

Submitted: Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 19:54
ThreadID: 91792 Views:2847 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all in Explor Oz land. I am thinking of doing a 3" lift to my New Patrol and I was wondering if anyone has done this and what about full comp insurance afterwards IE: any issue's or whom to insure with ???

Cheers Vern
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: vk1dx - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 20:58

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 20:58
Vern

It is simple. If it is legal where it is registered then you shouldn't have any trouble with full insurance. Ring your RTA or whatever the authority is.

Phil
AnswerID: 477453

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 23:12

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 23:12
I dont think it is that simple.
CGU and GIO at least ask if there are ANY modifications to the vehicle. Of course they dont care if you put it down on the form or not, they only need worry about it when there is a claim.
Even if it is legal, you have a duty of disclosure if they ask you the question on the form. Of course if they dont ask you then VK1 is correct Id think.
FollowupID: 752686

Reply By: Member - Mark G Gulmarrad - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 21:04

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 21:04
Vern.
2 inch is all that is allowed in NSW with out an engineers certification.

not sure where you are from,cheers.
AnswerID: 477457

Reply By: olcoolone - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 09:03

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 09:03
There are two answers appearing to this question... first the legality of it and second if an insurance company will accept it.

These are two very different issues..... sure if it's illegal the insurance company may refuse a claim if the suspension lift caused the claim, the other part is even if it is legal it still doesn't mean an insurance company will insurer you and may reject a claim.

It's a luck of the draw to who and what an insurance company will accept and reject.

When we bought our 200 series we phoned around for quotes, we have all our insurance under our business including 9 company vehicles and we just wanted to see how competitive our insurer was.... we phoned about 8 larger insurers and 1 who advertisers 4x4 insurance.

To our shock 3 said they would not insurer the vehicle with the mods (bar, winch, GVM suspension upgrade and lift and all the other normal stuff), 2 wanted a high excess and premium and the one who advertisers 4x4 insurance said they will ONLY insurer it as long as the suspension lift doesn't exceed 30mm.

Through our business insurer we had two options..... if it's through the business we have lower excess, no limits on what we fit or value of accessories but a $400 premium.... if we went through the same insurer and placed it under personal and not business we would save $400 but only can claim accessories up to 25% the value of the vehicle.

And don't even think of the budget insurers.... had a friend who declared himself bankrupt about 8 years ago due to a bitter marriage separation and he phoned YOUI for a quote for his current wifes car.... they asked him a million questions and even that the car to be insured was his wifes and he was the nominated second driver the refused the insurance due to his bankruptcy..... talk about in-depth risk assessment.

AnswerID: 477476

Reply By: robert s4 - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 15:19

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 15:19
its still illegal in qld as far as i know i was at arb and they said it might change this year you do know you have to change your brake lines if you go 3 inch i just put 2 inch efs lift in my 2007 patrol for 1350 dollars very happy drives great 2 inch makes its a bit more difficult getting gear in and out good luck if you go 3 inch
AnswerID: 477848

Sponsored Links