House and pet sitting

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 20:20
ThreadID: 91802 Views:1827 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We love camping and travelling, also love where we live in the Hunter Valley with out pets, problem is (as many experience I'm sure) is who to look after our pets and house while on trips of a week or more without the pets... Weekends are easier with a few family and friends or we ytake the dogs with us, but its hard to ask someone to move out from their place and in for a month or so to ours!
Any suggestions please?? I have looked at a few websites but would rather know from 'real' people of their experiences.
Cheers, POD.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: vk1dx - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 21:48

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 21:48
Hi Pod

We have two neighbours whose kids, and the parents as well, look after the cats for us and check the mail etc. We pay them and I believe we helped finance a trip to Canada for one. Whether it's the kids or the parents they visit the house twice daily. Once in the morning to unlock the cat door which gives the cats access to a large secure play area outside half under the veranda and a sunny spot as well. They return in the afternoon/evening to bring them inside, play with them and feed them. They also have to change their trays.

$25 per day for three cats. That beats $20 a day for each one with a stranger and not secure "outside" dedicated run for them alone.

Maybe a neighbour like ours!!!

Phil
AnswerID: 477514

Follow Up By: me POD! - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:23

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:23
Thanks for the reply Phil, yes there is a couple of people like that in the neighbourhood, we will see if they are interested for a weekend or so. But really need live in type help for the longer stays as the 2 dogs will get too lonely each day.... (and the kelpie will chew up all my stuff to punish me!) poor little souls they are....!

Regards, POD
FollowupID: 752779

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:47

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:47
We do not have the loneliness problem. They just have to bear with it. They do alright. They sleep together so they must get along okay as far as we know.

But do we get the "where the hell have you been!" looks when we return.

They are restricted when in the house so that they do not chew our "stuff" up.

Catchya

Phil

FollowupID: 752784

Reply By: aboutfivebucks (Pilbara) - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 22:52

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 22:52
We find housesitters on housecarers.com
Register with housecarers.com - its free.

Do a search for either Hunter Valley, or NSW. There are plenty of people who will travel anywhere in the state to housesit. you can also place an ad (its free) and people will apply (be prepared to pull the add after a couple of days - youll be inundated with applicants). there is no obligation at all.

many of them are seasoned travelers who continuously move around Australia living in their caravans in between housesits. we actually interview our 'short list' applicants on skype video - its much better than email or phone.

there is plenty of advice on the site for newbies. information such as - who pays for the utilities , how often the dogs get fed, the lawn gets mowed etc can be included in contracts. these are provided by the website.

in our case - we dont charge the housesitter for anything, nor do we pay them anything.

enjoy
AnswerID: 477516

Follow Up By: me POD! - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:33

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:33
Good to hear from someone who has used one of the website 'possibilities', I will follow up on that for sure.

We have always got away with friends and family for short or long stays for the last 10 years, it has always worked out great, but situations change... my good mate has met up with a 'new love' so he is fairly busy for a while (hope it works out for him this time).

That is the way we have operated though, use everything you need here as you would your own home, and money doesn't need to be exchanged. We always bring a gift home for them though.

Regards, POD
FollowupID: 752781

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 07:53

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 07:53
There was some discussion about this a month ago on this thread here. Suggest check out a few of the websites - you may be surprised at how many folk there are out there who would love to do a sit for you. And as has been mentioned Skype is great for interviewing your prospective sitters.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 477524

Follow Up By: me POD! - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:38

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:38
hi Val and John, thats thread has good info that we are looking for, thankyou, I did look at old threads prior to posting this one but didn't see yours? I must have had the wrong search words...

I like the Skype idea too!

We also have a border Collie, now 16 years old.... very very slow but still seesm to enjoy life for what she can, sleeps a lot and no walkies now but she has been the very best of mates for the family over the years. Going to be a very sad day in the next year I am thinking....

Regards, Paul
FollowupID: 752782

Reply By: Phillipn - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 14:42

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 14:42
There are good house sitters out their, and their are the bad ones.

We experienced the bad ones. The first ones we contacted through the house sitters book.

We had fruit trees bearing at the time. We told them to help themselves but to leave some in the fridge for us when we returned.

They left us no fruit but made jam for themselves. Using our sugar and jam bottles. Then they left before we arrived home. Just as well we had good neighbours. They fed the dog until we came home.

The next lot were friends of people we know. They told us they didn't drink, but when they went into town they got intoxicated and didn't arrive home until the next day. Again the animals were no fed.

Both lots had free use of the phone for local calls and free electricity. They didn't have to pay for caravan parks as they were living in their vans.
AnswerID: 477567

Follow Up By: me POD! - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 19:36

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 19:36
Hope we dont end up with bad luck like that....sorry to hear of your bad experiences.
Thanks for the message, regards, POD
FollowupID: 753087

Reply By: OZHouseSitters - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:51

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:51
Another vote for house sitting, try http://www.ozhousesitters.com.au/
AnswerID: 477832

Sponsored Links