Sunday History Photo / SA

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 05:09
ThreadID: 91810 Views:3345 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Streaky Bay is on the western side of the Eyre Peninsula, in South Australia just off the Flinders Highway
The town is the major population centre of the District Council of Streaky Bay, and the centre of an agricultural district farming cereal crops and sheep, as well as having established fishing and tourism industries.
The first European to sight the area was Dutch explorer Pieter Nuyts, in 1627 in the Golden Zeepaard. A monument has been erected on the median strip in Bay Road.
In 1802 Matthew Flinders named Streaky Bay whilst on his voyage in the Investigator. In his log of 5 February 1802, he described "And the water was much discoloured in Streaks"... so he called it Streaky Bay.
It is now known thought these streaks are caused by the release of oils by certain species of seaweed in the bay.

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

In 1839, Edward John Eyre, the renowned explorer, established a small base about 3 kilometres from the Streaky Bay Township which he used as a store for his overland expeditions to Point Bell. This site, known as Eyre's Waterhole, can still be seen today just off the road to Port Kenny. Wheat growing began in the 1880s and by 1906, 31,000 bags of wheat and 470 bales of wool had been exported from Streaky Bay by ship..
Pastoralists moved into the area from 1854. The town was officially proclaimed in 1872, originally called Flinders, but was changed in 1940 to Streaky Bay to reflect local usage of the name.

Image Could Not Be Found

Murphy's Haystacks 39 kilometres south of Streaky Bay and just two kilometres off the main Flinders Highway are believed to have been weathered and sculpted into their present form about 100,000 years ago. Geologists say the Stacks are composed of pink granite from the Hiltaba suite of rocks that were laid down some 1500 million years ago. Amazingly these beautiful pink granites were formed at a depth of 7 to 10 kilometres below the earth's surface. Clearly a great deal of erosion has occurred since the granite's formation.
Local legend says that Murphy's Haystacks acquired their name from an Irish agricultural expert who saw this landmark in the distance whilst travelling on a coach. Apparently the learned Irish gentleman was very impressed and informed his fellow passengers that the farmer must have harrowed his land to produce such a great abundance of hay! The original farmer of the land was a Mr. Murphy and to this day the landmark is known as Murphy's Hay Stacks.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 05:25

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 05:25
Thanks Doug, informative as always. Cheers, John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 477521

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 09:09

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 09:09
Thanks Doug. And a great little town it is too. I was there recently. But I didn't do any swimming. No one did. Everyone stood on the shore and watched the large shark patrolling back and forth for about an hour.
AnswerID: 477533

Follow Up By: kevmac....(WA) - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 14:30

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 14:30
.............................as you do !!!!!!
FollowupID: 752803

Follow Up By: get outmore - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 17:41

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 17:41
There is a shar.kproof spot to swim off the jetty.
FollowupID: 752819

Reply By: member - mazcan - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 14:33

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 14:33
hi doug t
out of my 7 xings of the nullarbor i have called in at streaky bay 4 times
the whiting are delicious and a swim is always on the agender in the beaut bay never had a problem at those times with sharks but they were probably lurking just the same
thanks for the history its a great stop off place enroute and travelling that road breaks the monotony of the other inland east west eyre hwy trek
poochera /streaky
or whyalla /cowell /lock/bramfield/streaky
cheers
AnswerID: 477565

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 14:43

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 14:43
Perhaps I should clarify... I have no idea how common sharks are or are not at Streaky Bay.The one we saw was biggish (well, they all look biggish to me and no doubt look bigger still if I'm in the water.) It went backwards and forward parallel to the beach from around the caravan park to the main jetty. I was in Port Lincoln for Tunerama a few weeks ago and mentioned it to some local;s there. They said they are common at Streaky Bay but they may have been pulling my leg. Certainly non of the locals at Streaky seemed very excited about their visitor.
FollowupID: 752807

Follow Up By: landseka - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 18:12

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 18:12
Of the 28 - 30 crossings of the nullarbor we have done we have called into Streaky EVERY time going over and again coming back. Always stay at least 2 days, maybe a week as my sister lives there, has done for over 40 years, opposite the Shell servo that has the model of the (at the time) world record size shark caught on rod & line from the jetty.

Love that place.

Cheers Neil
FollowupID: 752824

Reply By: Brian Purdue - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 16:53

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 16:53
I liked the picture of the jetty!!!!! I have not forgotten you, Doug. Been on the sick list.
Regards
AnswerID: 477579

Sponsored Links