The gremlins are at it again!!!!

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 08:12
ThreadID: 91811 Views:2494 Replies:9 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
6 weeks to go and counting and you gremlins are not going to stop us leaving!
Hows this for a big lap preparation everyone? Car serviced? check. However they find some seals that need replacing and it needs to go to do it. So we book it in the following week but a funny noise appears in the car so we ask them to investigate that too. Seals fixed, stones removed from petrol tank guard which was thought to be funny noise. Not that simple! back goes the car following day, turns out funny noise was a rusted universal joint and oh dear no grease nipples were done during the service and clips to hold some lines in under the car were all broken. So universal joint fixed, then the air conditioner stops working!! New pump for the air conditioner. The aging dog gets ill!! Off to the vet poor dog has a tumour so onto tablets to hep her heart work better after lots of scans and x-rays-yep the bill is mounting!!!! Up to work on the camper and put our new mattress in and oops we broke the weld on our end pole!! At this stage I begin to find it very funny and cannot stop laughing. Our new catch cry is-"well at least it happened now and not on the trip!!!" But wait there is more!! Trailer and car went off to have all the electrics done to run the fridge, power the lights and other fancy stuff!! Went to start the car a day after bringing it home-yep the car won't go flat battery, charge it up get going, leave it sitting whilst go to shops come out, car won't go. I tell you gremlins, car will go and so will we on March 23rd!!! Send us good luck-Carreen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: J & Me - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 08:33

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 08:33
Good Luck on your trip. Hopefully you have used up all your Gremlins now.
AnswerID: 477528

Follow Up By: Carreen - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 12:01

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 12:01
Thanks guys!
FollowupID: 752790

Reply By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 08:37

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 08:37
Hi Carreen
At this rate you'll have a fully restored car and new camper - lol.

As you said
"well at least it happened now and not on the trip!!!"

One thing's for sure; you will have earned your trip before you go.
All the best for when you get on the road.

cheers
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 477529

Follow Up By: Carreen - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 12:02

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 12:02
Yep, nothing should go wrong on the trip now
Carreen
FollowupID: 752791

Reply By: ken triton - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 08:52

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 08:52
Carreen,
I feel your pain, your story is uncanny as we are also leaving for our trip around Australia on the same date as you. We have certainly had our fair share of problems with our preparation as well. I just keep saying nothing will stop me from doing a lap of our fantastic country, so I just keep counting the days and we can't wait. Hope you enjoy your trip of a lifetime, and have very few problems along the way- GOOD LUCK
Ken
AnswerID: 477531

Follow Up By: Carreen - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 12:03

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 12:03
Oh wow good luck on your trip also. I waver between being madly excited and sad to leave family and firends for so long.
Carreen
FollowupID: 752792

Reply By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 09:29

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 09:29
Good Luck Carren,
At least if you keep posting on here you're going to have the big family at EO looking out for you, which way were you going again?

Cheers
Graham
AnswerID: 477539

Follow Up By: Carreen - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 12:05

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 12:05
Thanks Graham,
We could not have been so well prepared without the help from everyone on EO! We are going west first.
Carreen
FollowupID: 752793

Reply By: vk1dx - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:29

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:29
Hi Careen

Been there!!

Take pleasure in knowing that you are not the first.

Yesterday we went to our club's and other clubs 4WD show in Queanbeyan, near Canberra. We got a quote for a brush bar and side steps and got a new attachment for the air hose and got a wheel cover and had a few beers and we are now sunburnt and buggered. It is still on today but we dare not go. We spent a bundle yesterday and do not want to go near it today just to be safe.

Whilst having dinner with the club last night at the show we mentioned that this was a damned expensive hobby. There were nods and grunts and acknowledgements all around the 30' table.

Welcome to the "bottomless pit".

Phil
AnswerID: 477542

Follow Up By: Carreen - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 22:08

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 22:08
Hi Phil,
Did a little jig dance today with the RAA man who came to see the car and told me it needed a new battery that would cost $211. I think he thought I was mad but compared to the $1000's we have been shelling out I was ecstatic!!! I think the gremlins are running our of puff!
Carreen
FollowupID: 752848

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 17:07

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 17:07
Hi Careen,
Good luck with it all, you wont be the first or the last to be visited by the 4wd gremlins. Think of all the great campfire tales these experiences will grow into, plus you can write a blog about it and have a great chuckle in a year or 2 when you look back on it all.

What goes wrong now is hopefully one less thing to go wrong while you are out on the road. Keep on laughing!!

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 477580

Follow Up By: Carreen - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 22:11

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 22:11
Hi Val,
Laughing is the only way to go! I do believe that things are going wrong for a good reason now! my dad who loved camping and Australia's outback has been gone for over 10 years but I'm sure he is watching us get ready with great envy and assisting where he can-hence letting us know what things need to be fixed before we go.
Take care, Carreen
FollowupID: 752849

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 16:40

Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 16:40
Hi Carreen.

Last evening I sent you a rather long story about what ruined our long service leave. I must've "timed out" or it's just flown off into cyberspace! I can't find it.
To cut the story short would not do the correct thing because I already did cut it short!
So, briefly, but without trying to be nasty.You need to be very careful with things breaking down. Some-one tried to pull the wool over our eyes . It meant that if we were to do what they said, the long service leave was dead & we would've had to borrow money to go home.
We got three opinions & advice from the RACV.We took as long as we could to think the massive problem through & thus found ourselves taking a nightmare bus trip back home over 3days.
The vehicle took months to get back on a truck!.
We had everything gone over before leaving as the vehicle had been bought 2nd. hand.
Told the mechanic we were heading into very remote area,so please be very thorough.
When we picked up vehicle we asked if he'd double checked what he was asked to double check. Yes & the viscous fan was perfect yep!
We get nearly to where we're going & were boiling-vehicle & us.
High tail for help as had happened 2c in 2 days of remote travelling.
To be continued...........
AnswerID: 477658

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 17:13

Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 17:13
Carreen,
Gremlins con't.
It's Friday arvo, bloke tells us that we have a cracked head on the 2nd hand vehicle which had been given the 2nd check up before leaving, we didn't know it's background ,but we wouldn't have caused it,with what we were doing unless there were these fine hair cracks, O.K in cold weather.
Long Story! He said we'd need a new motor Head waiting for 3 weeks & cost @ 6,000 dollars to get a new motor but it would take 3 weeks to get it sent up from South. Charged us double for the visit I suspect but we needed to know.
So tired other places but Hey, it was Friday arvo, then with the work in front that would be a long wait.
Hubby was devastated as we were short of time for our once in a lifetime trip.
I said ring the R.A.C.V. & as soon as they rang the business back this 1st. bloke would have nothing further to do with us. Answer obvious!

We made our decision in line with our Insurance witch didn't allow much time.
Months later we get the vehicle back & to a different mechanic in home town.
Verdict..... There's no cracked head,not even hairline cracks which expand in extreme heat.... It's your viscous fan. These vehicles are known for it !!!!!!
O.K next opinion ,different mechanic again, same answer! No cracked head.
Since then many a long high temp area trips & how often have we heard similar stories. Some just think that they can rip you off cos you're a tourist.
What a fine profit that mechanic would have made! & we're far from wealthy
Also on the other hand had fridge troubles on the second attempt at this trip& couldn't have asked for better treatment.
If in trouble.. Think it through.! May the trip be kind. Take care, Bye, Ma.
FollowupID: 752906

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 17:35

Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 17:35
Hi, again Carreen,
We had to buy a new Battery for the backup( dual battery set up). It wouldn't work a day out from town!.
Took back to same company in different town to replace it under guarantee.
Bloke said, yes, some batteries sit on the shelf for ages in remote areas & go flat.
Replaced, no worries.

Also we were advised that outboard Marine batteries are best for corrugations cos it's like the vibrations on the water. Ours ( Marine ) works very well., but I don't think Hubby uses it for the cranking one & he isn't home to ask
Every one has their own opinions, so I've probably given you more Gremlins.
When on the road, the word of mouth passes quickly about towns & the facilities in them by stopping for a talk. eg. don't go to this C/P in so n so.

See AUS. while you can & don't rush it. Take the time to smell the roses, you may never get back that way again. Fair the & the vehicles well.
With best wishes Ma.
AnswerID: 477663

Follow Up By: Carreen - Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 19:06

Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 19:06
Wow Ma, I take you're advice on board and will take the time to think things through. Already we were quoted $800 dearer for the same job to fix the air conditioner. Hopefully all the gremlins are gone. The latest one was a flat cranking battery so only cost $200 a cheap fix after all the other expenses.
Take care, carreen
FollowupID: 752924

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 19:22

Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 19:22
Carreen,
Hubby just got home & I don't know what names I can or cannot use.
I had to go for a while & thought some of the blokes may have answered back.
I was a bit mixed up but I've been put straight as far as what works best for us.

The best Crank Battery for corrugation is Email me for name.
We have a deep cycle Battery for Fridge etc. is Deep cycle extreme ( e-mail me
We have found that 2 of the favourites just leaked like a sieve over corrugations.
The ones which have worked the best for us are Marine Extreme ones because they're built to withstand the bumping of the water on speed boats.
mapacook@bigponddotcom.
AnswerID: 477675

Sponsored Links