Offroad Caravan

We have been looking for a 16 - 18 foot offroad caravan We have been looking at Coromal & Trakmaster which both seem very good. We have come across the web sites for Goldstream & Bushmaster. What can anyone tell us about them
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 00:03

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 00:03
It depends on how and where you intend to travel. Some off road models are specified as suitable for short amounts of rough road travel, eg to a camp ground, or maintained rural dirt roads, whereas if you want to travel on many of our long and corrugated inland routes such as Tanami, Plenty and Great Central, you would be wise to get a top of the range dedicated off road brand.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 477704

Follow Up By: Russan - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 06:37

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 06:37
Thanks Motherhen.
We travelled the Mereenie Loop and the Oodnadatta Track last year with our black top caravan. Although they were both well maintained we travelled very slowly to avoid damaging it. Felt like that was just wetting the appertite and want to do more offroad trips so would like to get a caravan that we could take most places. We will also be taking a tent for short trips into the more difficult places.
FollowupID: 752976

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:39

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:39
Hi Russan

You have had a taste of what is out their in our wonderful outback. It took us all day on the Mereenie Loop - but only because we met someone who had broken a spring on their camper trailer, and together with another couple who had stopped to help, we got them safely to Kings Canyon.

While most caravans will survive shorter trips on corrugated roads, every corrugation is doing damage and this will eventually show in even the hardiest of rigs after thousands and thousands of kilometres of corrugations. It can be very costly if the breakage occurs in a remote area, and none of us are immune to breakages - not matter what the rig.

I do not really recommend any brands, but want people to make the choice to suit their needs. There have been plenty of questions on off road caravans here for you to sit back and read. Taking a tent is fine for places like Purnululu where you cannot take a caravan in, but of course not suitable for taking trips such as the Savannah Way (hopefully our next bug trip), Tanami, of across the country via the Plenty and Great Central Roads.

Good luck in your choosing.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 752995

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:41

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:41
Ooops - where did that bug come from? Should read "our next big trip".
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 752996

Follow Up By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 13:48

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 13:48
Hi Motherhen

Just for your info.

As far as Purnululu goes I believe the current position of DEC is

Single axle off road or heavy duty trailers, caravans and other towable units ARE permitted in the park

Dual axle trailers, caravans and other towable units ARE NOT permitted into the park and will be asked to leave

We have been in there in our single axle van and friends have been there in there single axle Coramel.

FollowupID: 753028

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 14:16

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 14:16
Hi Rowdy

Thanks for the clarification. I was just using that an example, as it was one of the few places we had to leave the caravan behind.

When we were there in 2008, all sorts and sizes of windup caravans were going in under the guise of camper trailer, and simple small caravans were not as they were "caravans". The following year they streamlined it to allow small single axled trailers (which includes caravans) in, but not big or tandem trailers. This is due to potential track damage.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753030

Follow Up By: ozjohn0 - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 15:16

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 15:16
Of the 4 brands you've mentioned the Trakmaster is the only well known 'Off Roader' on the list, with the Goldstream being a well respected Dirt Roader.
OJ
FollowupID: 753043

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 20:04

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 20:04
Hi Motherhen,

Will you be doing the Savannah Way this year?

Kind regards

Theo
FollowupID: 753093

Reply By: Member - Geoff M - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 09:51

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 09:51
Hi Russan

If you are looking for a really great Off Roader then I would try the Grenade from On The Move Caravans. Its an 18 footer saw one in Pt Lincoln and checked their web site
Its really a great van. Wished I had seen it befoer I had my "lemon" built here in Adelaide

their web site is

www.onthemovecaravans.com.au/

Geoff (SA)
AnswerID: 477724

Follow Up By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:01

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:01
And that is a problem, there is more than a few lemons out there. Good research is critical. Mothenhens advise is spot on. For those of you wanting to improve your research see my ad in the For Sale section

John
FollowupID: 752999

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:10

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:10
Russan,

you may be interested to know that Bushtracker are re-introducing their poptop van, likely to be a single axle, at the Brisbane Caravan Show in June.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 477734

Reply By: energy marty - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 13:21

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 13:21
Spinifex caravans have a great off-road range as do Free Spirit - very impressed with both

MH
AnswerID: 477840

Sponsored Links