oziexplorer from windows XP to windows 7

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 12:21
ThreadID: 91880 Views:3837 Replies:4 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Oziexplorer users,
My 6 year old laptop decided to retire and using oziexplorer in conjunction with windows XP. I have to get a new laptop which is operating windows 7.
When I transfer all of my data from oldie to the new laptop will my oziexplorer be compatible with windows 7?
I have a touch screen setup on the dash with gps connected to laptop and is stored unded the passenger seat and I want to remain with this setup.
I appreciate your comments on this. Thank you - The Nugget
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member - esarby (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 12:33

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 12:33
Hi Nugget.

When you are ready to transfer data from the old to the new( Windows 7 ) you can use Easy Transfer. You will find this under Accessories/System Tools/Windows Easy Transfer - Get a transfer lead from D S and it will transfer what you want. It will save you copying to disc and then reinstalling.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 477834

Follow Up By: the nugget - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 13:08

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 13:08
Thanks "Esarby" for your prompt response.
Sounds good.
Cheers, The nugget.
FollowupID: 753157

Follow Up By: garrycol - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 13:55

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 13:55
I was recently in a similar situation and that Easy Transfer system is a load of crap. Only copied a 1/3 of the files across and did not copy Oziexplorer across. I had to reload Ozi and enter the serials and codes etc - works OK on a 64 bit Win 7 system.

Garry
FollowupID: 753169

Follow Up By: the nugget - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 15:29

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 15:29
Thanks Garrycol,
I have just done some followup and there are references to 32 and 64 bit Win 7. Nothing is going to happen for awhile. When I have bought a new laptop and carried out the transfer of all data I will let all know how it went.
Thanks to all for their input very much appreciated.
Cheers, The Nugget.
FollowupID: 753182

Reply By: get outmore - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 12:39

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 12:39
pretty sure you will need the password

im no IT geek but i tried copying my OZI onto a hard drive but it knows its been copied and asks for the password

if you have the password just download ozi onto the new computer and enter password is another way
AnswerID: 477836

Follow Up By: the nugget - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 13:10

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 13:10
Thanks "Get out more" for your prompt response.
Cheers, The Nugget.
FollowupID: 753159

Follow Up By: Life Member - esarby (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 14:12

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 14:12
get outmore.

Whatever you transfer to another computer. it will ask for the password or the product key. This is to prevent pirating. Always keep your Product Key and Password in a safe place. I can be very expansive when your Computer gives up the ghost. A lot of programs can be downloaded at no cost as long as you have the Product Key.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753173

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 15:50

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 15:50
Hi esarby ,
This is one reason why I have an external drive 1TB. To keep all this kinda stuff on, and back up once a week.
Also having my own web site, i can store information in a secure folder on their servers, I know most people don't have the choice to do this, but most ISP's have some amount of free space that can be used for this. To keep Keys or product codes.
Using a File transfer program, Eg Filezilla makes life easy.

Hey nugget,
I have Ozi on both the home computer(XP) and the Laptop Win7, I store files on the External drive so I can share between the two.I also copy these to my site foe storage as well, which means I ncan access them anywhere I have Internet access.
I works for me.
Hope that helps.

FollowupID: 753183

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 16:00

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 16:00
Sorry about the typo's.
It must be getting close to beer time.
FollowupID: 753184

Follow Up By: the nugget - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 16:22

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 16:22
Thanks for the tips Hairs & Fysh (that sounds a dangerous concoction).

Storing on my desk top is a good idea. Cheers & beers, The Nugget.
FollowupID: 753189

Follow Up By: Life Member - esarby (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 17:20

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 17:20
Hi Hairs. I am not to deep into IT but most of us would love a 1TB to store every thing on. I was just trying to advise the nugget on his problem. I back up on Norton so I do not have the problem any more. Cheers.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753196

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 17:57

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 17:57
esarby,
I learnt ages ago to do a backup regularly, nothing will lasts for every.
They are getting cheaper, I think i paid under 100 bucks, with backup software for mine.
yeah, Norton's does a good job of it.`

FollowupID: 753202

Reply By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 17:50

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 17:50
First question. What do you mean by "decided to retire"? Is it running or not?

If it is broken and you cannot fire it up then get IT help to take the hard disk out and remove the stuff on it that you want to keep and put it on the new one.

If it not broken then borrow a large capacity USB drive and copy the Ozi folder plus sub folders to it from the old machine and then connect the USB drive to the new one and copy the Ozi folder to the root directory of the Win7 box. Select Ozi.exe and send a shortcut to the desktop.

If it needs a password call Ozi and have your original copy on hand as well as all licence and receipt details so that you can prove it is a legit copy.

If it was me I would get rid of Windows 7 and load it with Windows XP. My wife has Win7 on hers and in our opinion its rubbish. She wants to go back to WinXP.

Phil
AnswerID: 477864

Follow Up By: Member - OnYaBike - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 23:23

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 23:23
When Win 98 went to XP, then when XP went to Win7 I felt the same for a while but gradually got used to the changes and then appreciated the improvements.
FollowupID: 753245

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 07:39

Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 07:39
I know what you are saying.

But why do we HAVE to change! And at OUR cost! What if the tool you have suites your purpose. Why have you got to buy a new one and spend time learning a new environment. Beats me. It is like cars. Why change if you are happy with the old one. Or is it a "keep up with the Jones" fashion thing. Then again if I buy a new car I get a GPS, rear view camera and even blue tooth. What if I do not want a GPS or even a rear view camera. Why do I have to pay for it. I don't even use a mobile phone let alone blue tooth.

That's why I use XP and will try to stay with it. I do realise that one day if I ever get a new PC then things may change and XP wont work on it. Okay then I will change. But I like the one I have now. Luckily I do not want a laptop do the desktop will be fine for quite a few year yet.

A bit like the wooden handled and nicely balanced hammer that I have been using for years. It fits my hand and style nicely. Just like a glove

Each to their own.

Phil

FollowupID: 753256

Follow Up By: the nugget - Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 12:47

Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 12:47
Thanks for your reply vk1dx, but my faithful Dell gave off a burning smell and stopped operating. I did say it was 6 years old but checking back I purchased it in Nov 2004. Considering it sat under the seat, travelling the Talawana, Rudal river national Park, parts of the CSR, Gibb River rd etc, it has performed remarkably well.
I have had it checked out and the parts maybe available but the guy I use for my computers who is very good by the way, said it will cost a bit to have it fixed and it is a bit of a dinosaur and for around $450 I can get a good laptop to suit the purpose. All my maps, files, photos and data can be retrieved so that is all good.
The unfortunate part about technology is that it changes daily and it will be the death of mankind. Look at the speed cameras, for a few seconds of indiscretion you get pinged for 5ks over the speed limit.

THANKS to all those who have responded to my query. Over the next couple of weeks I will get it all together and let you know how it went.
Cheers, The Nugget
FollowupID: 753296

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 13:32

Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 13:32
No worries Nugget

No PC's or laptops in the car. I wouldn't trust them to hold up. The home desktops are Dell also. Not that there is anything wrong with Dell though.

We cannot afford ruggardised computers for the car. We will leave that to the grand old Defence Dept. And we don't want, nor own, laptops, ipods/ipads or whatever. Leave them to the younger generations who believe they will die without a phone or the like plugged into their ears.

We have an indash WinCE based unit for navigating and entertainment and that suits us. As well as a bunch of maps. Remember them!

Take care.

Phil
FollowupID: 753298

Follow Up By: Inspectorbluedog - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 20:20

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 20:20
Dell laptops were subject to a recall back around 2004/5, batteries i believe overheated and caused fires.
FollowupID: 753539

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 21:20

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 21:20
Inspector whatever your name is

99.99% of electronics can break down. But they would have to go a long way to beat Dell after sales service.

Whats your point?

Phil
FollowupID: 753546

Reply By: garrycol - Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 14:18

Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 14:18
Hi Nugget - one thing I found getting a new laptop and going from Xp tp Win 7 (64bit) is some of my hang on are not compatible with Win 7 - eg Printer (really old) and scanner (also old) and drivers are not available.

You may find the same applies to your touch screen. I also have one that is about 6 years old and have not tried to install the software for the touch screen (did not copy over). I no longer use the latop for nav and use a cheap chinese 7" GPS ($120) that has Win Ce installed so I have most basic computer functions through it - runs Tom Tom, Igo and Ozi no issues.

Garry
AnswerID: 477918

Follow Up By: the nugget - Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 14:45

Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 14:45
Hi Garry, I have a looked on the net at a GPS 7" screens one in particular with 4GB approximately $129. But in doing that, I still come back to the laptop with my on dash 8" touch screen. It has never been a problem until now and also good for downloading all our photos and looking at them at night around the campfire after tea having a tinny or three. Taking all info on board I will however try and keep using windows XP as all my data is running smooth and and it sounds like I may have a few issues with Win 7.
Thanks - Nugget
FollowupID: 753302

Follow Up By: garrycol - Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 15:06

Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 15:06
During the first week I had the new laptop I was going to wipe the hard drive and instal XP about a 100 times but I did not - as some else said you do start to get used to it and it does have a lot of good stuff and will force me to update some other stuff.

I believe (and have not tried it yet) that Win 7 can be made to emulate XP to run old stuff - as said not tried so if someone can enlighten that would be great.

Garry
FollowupID: 753303

Sponsored Links