Beware of New Norfolk Holiday Park, Taz

Submitted: Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 03:12
ThreadID: 91912 Views:3140 Replies:9 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
I stayed two nights at this nice Holiday Park besides Derwent river but...the second night we were robbed. An aluminun box with all its content was stolen, a value near 1000 $, Same morning feb 14 2012 another guest reported his Waeco stolen. How many more? How many people do not report robberies? They simply go away and do not come back. Since when is this happening?,  probably long time go. It is not easy to carry a 20 kg aluminun box or a 40 kg fridge at night.
Never happened before even camping anywhere on public places...
I will not stop anymore at New Norfolk, Taz.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: petengail - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 08:46

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 08:46
While I can certainly sympathise with you about your expensive loss. I think its a little unreasonable to blame the park. Caravan parks are very difficult to secure and it is impossible to stop low life's from wandering through making opportunity thefts.
AnswerID: 477982

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 09:58

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 09:58
Image Could Not Be FoundAgree, you can't blame the caravan park. leaving anything unsecured anywhere is asking for trouble. Might want to invest in a toy lock to secure your items left out.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 753393

Follow Up By: Carlo Ferraro - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 13:00

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 13:00
Thanks...
From now on I will be Veery concious about the matter and will secure anything, something I never expected in Australia and I know what I am talking about, I lived for a looong time in a third world country where thefts, robbery, hijacking and name others..is a way of life and of course I have the right to ban a C.P. and warn others about it as I wish to be alerted by others by means of reviews.
FollowupID: 753407

Reply By: caseh - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 10:33

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 10:33
And just to clear up the technical side. This was a theft.

A robbery is a theft accompanied by violence or threat of violence.
Apart from that the onus is on you to secure your property not the holiday park.

cheers, Case, Tauranga, NZ
AnswerID: 477991

Follow Up By: Member - John G- Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 10:48

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 10:48
Well, then, there, now caseh,

If I had just had $1000 of probably necessary equipment 'thefted', I'd probably not immediately thank you for pointing out the technicality, but you are right, it is up to us to assess risks and secure our gear.

Cheers
John
FollowupID: 753399

Follow Up By: caseh - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 15:12

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 15:12
Yes John. If you have not been "thefted" but someone actually puts a shotgun in your face because they want your car, as has happened to me, you soon know the difference between the two.
Does nothing for your heart rate.

cheers, Case.
FollowupID: 753428

Follow Up By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 11:02

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 11:02
If you want to get really pedantic caseh, it's called 'larceny'.
FollowupID: 753499

Reply By: vk1dx - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 14:05

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 14:05
When I was a little boy I got into trouble for not putting things away. Don't leave the bike on the front lawn as it may disappear and other stuff like that.

Now 55 years later I am wondering why on earth did you leave out and unsecured. Do you lock your car at night. I wonder. When I got my own car I made sure the surfboard would fit inside and not just "ocky" strapped to the roof.

Phil
AnswerID: 478009

Reply By: get outmore - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 15:18

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 15:18
the other thing to do is to somewhat take matters into your own hands

when you see these people -and usually there very easy to spot - tell them to turn arouind and ...... go away

I used to live at the end of a road with nothing else down there and id see them walking down towards the club i was caretaking, head them off and tell them to turn back theres no reason for them to be here

yea they started complaining it was a public road - I couldnt care less the only business they had was no good and therte was no hope in heck there were continuing
AnswerID: 478014

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 19:35

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 19:35
Get outmore,
That's about the worst bit of advice I have see on this forum. The police say, do not take matters into your own hands, you should be calling the police and let them deal with it. You could end up being charged yourself if things got out of hand. Or you might be accusing the wrong person. As you said "therte was no hope in heck there were continuing" what were you going to do assault them to stop them. Being on a public road no matter where it leads to is public and for anyone to use. Until they commit an offence no law is broken and have the right to be there.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 753449

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 21:07

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 21:07
What can I say I do it and it works. These people only can do what they want because no one says anything trust me all you have to do is tell they have no business there and follow them around for a bit if necc and they will soon leave. There there to skulk around and steal not confront anyone.
Nothing illegal about it and very effective
FollowupID: 753460

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 21:10

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 21:10
Saying they have the right to be there is the issue they rely on. Only possible reason they could have to be on the road is to steal from the club
FollowupID: 753461

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 21:11

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 21:11
Saying they have the right to be there is the issue they rely on. Only possible reason they could have to be on the road is to steal from the club
FollowupID: 753462

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 22:49

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 22:49
also dont forget you dont need to break a law to be removed from a public place

thats what coppers use move on notices for. they appreciate the fact just because someone is in a public spot doesnt mean they have the right to be there
FollowupID: 753473

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 09:36

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 09:36
That's exactly right, The police not you have that power. And can only use that power if they are in their own opinion you are about to commit of have committed a crime, put have no proof of the offence. As for being on the road, I might just need exercise and chose that road to do it in. Am I a thief for walking on the road , but your assumption is anyone on that road is. I think you should be at the club if you are a caretaker of it and wait till they are on the club property before making the assumption they are thieves.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 753494

Follow Up By: get outmore - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 10:26

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 10:26
thaty right theres the problem people not wanting to do things

yes a copoper has the POWER to move someone on

but i have the right to ask them what there doing there and tell them to go

obviously if they so choose they dont have to but seeiong as there there to steal - they will , theve been busted

its pretty simple and it works

people would use the road for excercise they are easily recognised by wearing shorts and running or walking a dog

saying a couple of 12 year old "disadvantaged" youths on the rtoad might be using it for excercise is as silly as thinking the guy I busted for illegal dumping might have had a trailor full of rubish heading down a one way road might have been showing the rubish the sites so i should do nothing

my motto is
- if it walks like a duck
- if it quacks like a duck
most of the time it will be a duck

but my original point is if your in a caravan park and you see someone that shouldnt be there - and yes its usually pretty easy to spot then you have every right to ask them what there doing there. if they answer seeing someone just kleep questioning them, who which van how do you know them etc

as they are there to steal thery will take off

just sitting back saying theve got a right to be there unless i see them do something wrong (you wont its too late by that stage) wont achieve anything
FollowupID: 753497

Reply By: Fab72 - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 17:21

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 17:21
Secure your boxes with coach bolts placing the nut end on the inside of the box, then use a titanium padlock. Cheap insurance.

Most thieves are opportunistic and will only steal things that are easy to nick.

Fab
AnswerID: 478021

Reply By: KevinE - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 18:28

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 18:28
Hi Carlo, isn't it a shocking feeling having something stolen! :( I recently had the hubcaps stolen off my Ute in my driveway in broad daylight! :( New hubcaps are $496! :O But, worse than the cost is the feeling of being violated! I'm looking at everyone that drives past my house wondering if they took them! But please don't blame the poor caravan park mate! They had no chance of keeping the mongrels who stole your stuff out of the park. Caravan parks are very public places. Most of the time, I feel my stuff is safer there than it is at home, but it looks like you got shafted! Lay the blame where it lies my friend; with the gutless, lowlife, scum who stole your stuff & the businesses that make a profit by accepting & reselling stolen goods as if it's OK! All the best, Kevin
AnswerID: 478028

Reply By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 11:22

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 11:22
As part of my retirement I am a N.S.W. Volunteer in Policing.

Prior to doing this, and since, I found that if you ask caravan park proprietors/managers to hand out caravan park security documentation, and there is plenty available, you will find that there is lip service, and that's all.

They don't want the punters to think that their park is prone to larcenous activities, because people will shy off, so the stuff we provide is either chucked out or placed under the counter out of sight. This I know.

There's quite a lot you can personally do to enhance the security of your chattels whilst on the road and it doesn't take much effort or imagination to come up with ideas. Chains or stainless steel wire and a quality padlock are one such item that can be used to some extent, but the best thing is really being aware of the fact that theft occurs and to take counter action. Lock your van when going to the showers or the office, don't go together, have one person stay behind, don't give mummy all the money so she can place it in her handbag and put it near the door, plant it somewhere so it's hard to find, take note of anything that has a serial number and keep it, photograph items, lock up your vehicle plus the back, and the caravan boot, and place the keys where they cannot be got at.

I know that these are simple things, but thieves rely on complacency, and if you are on the ball at all times, opportunistic crooks will give you a wide berth. See they have about 5 seconds to operate, and if that window of opportunity isn't there, then they miss out.

If you do happen to be a victim let the cops know, don't worry about the importance or whatever, even an attempt to break in or knock stuff off, but because if they don't know, then they don't do anything and will focus their attention on places that they know are locations where crime is committed.

Of course if the caravan park people got off their backsides and did a walk of the place, particularly in the early evening, when guests are often absent and challenged anyone who looked suspicious or out of place, it would assist greatly, but sadly they tend not to.

AnswerID: 478056

Reply By: Jarse - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 19:45

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 19:45
We stayed at New Norfolk a couple of years ago for a few days. We had a great stay there and no problems with theft etc.

I think it's unfair to blame the park for the thefts. Thieves are usually opportunists in caravan parks. If you secure your property, you shouldn't have any problems.
AnswerID: 478081

Reply By: bks - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 21:41

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 21:41
Isn't it sad that in in these days of being so politically correct we cant say what the problem really is.
AnswerID: 478168

Sponsored Links