GPS systems

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 15:59
ThreadID: 91962 Views:1762 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'm looking for a good GPS system which can run on a laptop, preferably a Mac.

Can anybody give me some good advice.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 16:03

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 16:03
Graham,

what do you intend doing with it? Is it for street nav about town, outback travel or serious off track stuff. A bit more information about your specific uses for the system and what you hope to achieve with it would be invaluable. Are you after a comprehensive program, a plug in GPS receiver or both?

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 478141

Reply By: Graham Tranter - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 16:10

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 16:10
Hi Mick,

thanks for your reply.

I want something for outback travel, have been doing it for some 10 years now and wife's navigation skills and map reading are a bit sus (only kidding). I really would like the ability to mark waypoints of good camping sites and would like if possible a moving map (hence a laptop which I currently have...a mac Book Pro).

I suppose for me it is a bit of a toy but it would be fun to have.
AnswerID: 478143

Follow Up By: Tom C - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 16:49

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 16:49
Hi Graham,
I investigated this about 12 months ago. I use a macbook for my main computing but the only nav/gps programme for the mac that I could find after an exhaustive search was US biased, basically maps not avail for Australia and I don't think it had the ability to scan maps in, as you can for oziexplorer. I finished up using oziexplorer on a 10/11 inch display Acer computer that I bought from AustPost for about $400. This way I can keep the good mac better protected when we travel and use the elcheapo on the track. When we are travelling we usually have it asleep, this protects the hard disc, and easy to wake it for quick reference (i.e. the GPS mouse comes up straight away, no delay). I run mainly Natmaps from purchased CD Roms and Hema Desert Series that I scanned in as I had the paper maps. If you want to use the puter underway when travelling on rough roads I would be inclined to recommend a solid state hard disk, although quite more expensive.
FollowupID: 753638

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 17:50

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 17:50
Hi Graham

Do the same as Tom has suggested and you can not go wrong. This is one area where there are no real good solutions for the Mac and if you read my post below, I had to go to a Windows based Operating system years ago so I could run Ozi.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753642

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 16:50

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 16:50
Thanks Graham, that makes it all the clearer. The two popular systems you see most talking about on here are Oziexplorer and Trackranger. I am not sure how they sit with Mac as I'm running a windows PC. I'm pretty sure some of the knowledgable Ozi users will be along shortly.

I've been using Trackranger for several years and am quite happy with it. It doesn't have all the functionality of Ozi but is easy to use and has a good suite of navigation tools and abilities. It also runs under the Mac o/s.

Trackranger

Ozi is another great system that I have but I've been promising myself to learn more about. This year should be the year I reckon.

What ever system you get, you will also need to provide the maps for the program to use so be aware you will probably need to also buy a plug in GPS receiver (the EO shop has them at a a good price at the minute) and a set of digital maps like Hemas Great Desert Tracks (which also includes a full set of NatMap Raster 250K maps) or the Natmap Raster 250K mapset themselves. A search of the forum is a good iodea as well as the two systems are often discussed.

Good luck.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 478148

Reply By: mikehzz - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 19:08

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 19:08
I used to run a laptop but there are downsides. Finding a good place for it to sit and the constant vibrations can kill the hard drive quicker than normal. If it was me and starting from scratch, I would probably go for a cheap Android tablet with GPS built in and use the Androzic gps program (free I think). Then all you need are maps. Ozi explorer maps work on that program. I use an ipad on a window mount off to the passenger side where it doesn't get in the way. There are similar mounts for Android tablets. Cheers.
AnswerID: 478157

Reply By: Naveed Merchant - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 21:42

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 21:42
You ideally need a sun readable tablet PC ideally with windows 7 (no android please) and then preload google earth and make routes on that tablet or on any other PC and then save this on tablet pc and then load googleearth map on the tablet at various altitudes. Its amazing as you can even see it in 3D and explore amazing new places

Then you need any bluetooth gps device for example something similar tohttp://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS%20Products/BT-Q818XT-F.htm which can be kept on the dash and you also need to install a program goops pro on the tablet pc http://goopstechnologies.com/?page_id=122

I use a very sturdy mount for my tablet http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045050051052045054/Default.aspx and you also need this holder http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065080045051054053045049048049085/Default.aspx

Please make sure you tablet's DC car adapter
AnswerID: 478169

Sponsored Links