Jayco Awning

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 20:46
ThreadID: 91967 Views:6604 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Could someone tell me if the factory fitted Jayco Awning will take a gust of wind. Ive heard second hand that at a hint of a breeze, they should be rolled up but I cant confirm it.

Can someone point me in the right direction to upgrade if it is true.

Cheers Wilko
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: nowimnumberone - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 21:02

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 21:02
gday wilko
depends on what awning your talking about
we have a jayco hawk with awning and have had plenty of wind we just make sure its tied down.
we also have a 16 foot expanda with the roll out awning not to bad in mild wind so long as everything is tight but iof the wind picks up pretty hard we just lower it to the lowest setting and can still sit under it
cheers
AnswerID: 478165

Follow Up By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 20:23

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 20:23
Thanks Nowimnumberone,

I'll tie it down thanks for the advice about lowering it to the lowest setting

Cheers Wilko
FollowupID: 753751

Reply By: Member - Carl- Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 21:38

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 21:38
Hi Wilko,

I assume you are refering to a "rollout awning".

Jayco use 2 different types, a manual and an electric. Both will take "wind" if correctly tied down just as other other rollout awnings will (that being Dometic and Aussie Traveller).

If the caravan is not currently fitted with a roll out awning it is better to get a after market Aussie Traveller one. They are stronger and allow more things to be fitted like screens and annexes better.

I would steer away from a factory fitted electric awning as they are really made for the US and not Australia. The awning is fitted to the other side of the caravan over there. The electric ones here are very hard to fit with screens and annexes.

Hope this helps. I used to make caravan screens and annexes.
AnswerID: 478167

Follow Up By: Peter W - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 12:02

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 12:02
Hi Wilko,

I have had 3 Jaycos over the years (camper trailer, pop top, now full van) and each with a roll out awning.
Provided they are tied down correctly they will withstand some fairly strong winds but of course when settling in for a stay you need to be sensible as to how you set up and try and protect the awning side as far as possible.
If extremely strong winds are predicted it can be a wise move to roll them up but I rarely find the need to do so once the van is established at the camp site.
If you do decide to do the precautionary roll up then do it early and never when the wind has arrived.
I have seen a few examples of "blown over" (ie. over the van) awnings and all were due to the owners late decision to roll up and release the tie downs.
I also am not a great fan of the electric awnings.
Hope this helps.

Peter
FollowupID: 753691

Follow Up By: Member - John G- Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 16:14

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 16:14
G'day Wilko

We have been speaking to Jayco about retro-fitting a Fiamma roll-out awning. Their advice is pretty much as per Peter's follow-up above, although if anything, a bit more cautious. Our current bag awning has withstood some heavy weather, with water pooling being the main issue.

Cheers
John
FollowupID: 753719

Follow Up By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 20:26

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 20:26
Thanks Carl, Peter and John,

I looked at the Fiamma and Aussie Traveller and think they look a little stronger then the OEM. Am thinking of ordering one when I get the van.

Cheers Wilko
FollowupID: 753752

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 16:21

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 16:21
If it's a roll up awning like mine in Pic below then they can take a reasonable amount of wind if pegged out correctly. Just as a mater of interest have one end preferably away from door lower so that water will run off easily. Stops pooling etc.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 478221

Follow Up By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 20:28

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 20:28
Hi Dodge,

Agree with lowering one end.

Cheers Wilko

FollowupID: 753754

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 18:51

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 18:51
Would be interesting what others have to say about the legs staying attached to the van. I remember being told some insurance companies not covering the awnings if the legs are not left attached to the van. Puzzles me as you need them down to attach awning walls.
I know of two awnings that went for a ride on the wild side and they were not Jayco. One of them didn't have the extension arms screw tightened up.
AnswerID: 478237

Reply By: Villatranquilla - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 21:51

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 21:51
if we take the awning leg off the van we peg it down through the holes in the base. We always anchor each end with a rope and springs regardless of whether its on or off the van. Always use de-flappers and have also ran a rope over the awning the middle of the awning end to end and pegged rope to the ground. Have also had to get up in the night to roll it in when the wind has sprung up un-expectedly.
AnswerID: 478267

Reply By: Rodge - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 22:44

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 22:44
Hi Wilko.
We have a Jayco Penguin with an Aussie Traveller awning - it is excellent. Dearer than the Fiamma equivalent but very robust construction and it has stood up to some strong winds. Cheers.
AnswerID: 478280

Sponsored Links