Wallaroo-Lucky Bay Ferry Back in Service

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 08:02
ThreadID: 91997 Views:5581 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

There had been a few questions in the past about the Wallaroo to Lucky Bay ferry, and when was it going to be back in business.

The new Aurora V that was purpose built for the crossing will make its first crossing at 8am Central Standard Time today. Anyone that happens to be in the area today can get 50% off of the fare for today. As before, there are also savings to be made if booking online.

Here is the link to SEASA for booing the crossing : New Ferry from Wallaroo - Lucky Bay

Locals on the radio said that it made a big difference to tourist numbers when the old ferries were running and they are hoping that it will again bring more people into the area.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 08:15

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 08:15
Well there you go. I spent holidays in Wallaroo as a kid. Maybe its time to visit again. I hear there is a marina too.
Sharon
AnswerID: 478296

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 09:00

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 09:00
Hi Sharon

The Copper Triangle is another top location over here in SA, and we have spent lots of time over there. We went over to Moonta for Australia Day and did a quick blog on it.....Australia Day at Moonta

We ran out of time to duck over to Wallaroo, but as young kids also spent a lot of time over there and have taken our boys over there countless times over the years. North Beach is a very safe beach to swim and it looks great to see dozens of cars along the beach during the holiday times and weekends. We did travel on the Old Ferry when we had to go to Port Lincoln for a wedding and the first morning trip was unreal, seeing the sun rising over Wallaroo from out on the Ferry as we made our way over to Lucky Bay.

The new marina was built a long time ago, but not like the ones that you have up there in Queensland. You will have to rekindle your childhood memories and again spend some time over there. Even as close as the area is to where we live, we have spent some great times staying in the Port Hughes Caravan Park.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753791

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 08:48

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 08:48
At $210 one way (less 10% if booked online) it is hard to see an financial benefit for the trip as it is 380k's around via Port Augusta and most 4wd's would not use even half that in fuel. Plus if you had a trailer at $30 a metre inc towbar it would be even more.
I guess for those with limited time and weekends etc then it would be viable time wise but for most tourists it wouldn't be cost effective.
Motorhomes at $30 a metre plus $35 each passenger.
AnswerID: 478298

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 09:02

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 09:02
Hi Peter

Yes it is not cheap, but a good experience. The fares were never that dear and it will be interesting to see if they drop after some time.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753793

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 09:07

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 09:07
Hi Peter

Here is the correct pricing structure for a crossing at $140 per vehicle

Ferry fares

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753794

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 09:30

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 09:30
Plus $35 per adult, plus kids if you have any.
FollowupID: 753799

Reply By: Member - Brian P (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 11:30

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 11:30
Hi Stephen.
The talk around town here is "Is the for sale sign up yet". It seems every time the ferry gets up and running they sell it. I really hope this is not the case this time as I really love the ferry being here.
Back 40 something years ago a company called Birdseye (not sure on the spelling) had a dream of running a hovercraft-ferry service across the gulf. Now this company has made else's dream come true (but not with a hovercraft). I hope they can keep this one up and running. Brian
AnswerID: 478310

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 14:37

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 14:37
Hi Brian

I know that the older ferries were borrowed from other location to be used at Wallaroo, while the new report states that this new unit is purpose built for Wallaroo.

The way governments are at the moment, they would not need any reason to change their minds.

I think that there are many out there that would like to see this one kept going. You will have to duck down today and post a picture here on the forum of it in action. From the pictures, it looks like the vehicles should keep dry compared to the first one....LOL

Please keep us all posted.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753822

Reply By: patrolmann - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 15:34

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 15:34
I was looking forward to using the ferry to cut down on travel time but at a one way cost of $405.00 after the 10% discount for booking online it is just not financially viable for me.
Two adults my Patrol and 8 metre van.
I can drive via Port Augusta for $150.00 although it does take me 5 hours or so.
I would have thought if you are putting a car (4x4) and a van on they would not charge you for the passengers but that does not seem to be the case.
I really hope it survives but i have my doubts.
Patrolman
AnswerID: 478325

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 19:33

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 19:33
Hi Patrolmann

At that price I think it would put most people off.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753844

Reply By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 17:59

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 17:59
Hi Stephen,
We made inquiries about three weeks ago about using the ferry and they said they would let us know when it is back running, no notification as yet.
We used it a few years back and it was a delightful trip and a great drive down to Wallaroo across to Lucky Bay in to Cowell and then return home via Whyalla a good day out and lots of fish from the fish factories. Only thing was the fair was only about $100 a 100% increase seams a little steep, probably they were too cheap in the first place.
I hope it keeps going maybe the government should subsidise it, us country people would have more chance of getting a seat on the ferry than a seat at a revamped Adelaide Oval.

Cheers

Graham
AnswerID: 478340

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 19:38

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 19:38
Hi Graham

I think the pricing will be a very big factor that will make the final decision for most people. I was very surprised that there was no mention of it on the channel 4 GTS/BKN news tonight.

The Adelaide Oval....what a joke, buta lot of people in Adelaide think its OK.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753845

Sponsored Links