flashing glow plug light on GQ patrol

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 09:48
ThreadID: 92004 Views:6912 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
more of an update rather than a question incase anyone else has this experience.

On and off for about 12 months my glow plug light has been flashing. Haven't spent alot of time on it as the problem went away. Last week it happened all the time and wouldn't go off. The problem was it wasn't just an electrical problem but it actually was sending a pulse to the glow plugs continously so burning them out was a concern.

Fix:
I replaced the relay under the metal cover next to the battery but this didn't help ($130 from Nissan!!!!!!!!!!). From my previous fault finding I knew of the control box hidden behind the kick panel next to my right foot. I claim this to be luck rather than skill what I found next!
I noticed that when I removed the motherboard and sat it loose on the floor the flashing stopped. At least now I found the problem! I had a thinking that it could be an earthing issue so I touched the back soldering of the motherboard against the metal casing and sure enough the glow plugs starting flashing again.

Not sure what has happened over the years but no matter how I tried to put it back together the front clip on panel was causing the earthing issue (wouldn't sit correctly) so I have just cable tied the motherboard back into the case without putting on the front cover. No problem with dust as there was already no dust on the cover after 15 years already.

Lessons learned:
1. don't over complicate the fault finding
2. I did blow a fuse by shorting it out during my fault finding so have a 10amp fuse ready to go which just sits on top of this control box in the same spot.
3. I now have a spare working relay!

So there you go! Hopefully this update might help someone over the years when they do a search on the subject of this :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 10:26

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 10:26
A fair enough fix Gossy, but it may be better to purchase a plastic Jiffy Box of appropriate size from Jaycar or elsewhere to avoid the exposed circuit board coming into contact with something else and maybe causing permanent damage to the electronics.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 478303

Reply By: Gossy - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 10:34

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 10:34
The cover already has a hole in it and there is a large gap where the wires connect anyway so the casing isn't 'weather' proof so I'm not too concerned about it. It's as exposed now as it was with the case on anyway.

If anything a spray of WD40 would be more effective than the old cover.

Cheers,
AnswerID: 478304

Sponsored Links