Whats your thoughts on this, Would you do it ??

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 19:12
ThreadID: 92019 Views:2433 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2012/02/15/288745_ntnews.html

Im not bagging or judging them, was just wondering if any one else has done similiar and if so what was your outcome. I dont see there been any danger in what these guys did, just one very wet hilux interior.............

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 19:19

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 19:19
Gday
That's how Wes lost his car up the Avon. He didn't have a boat..

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 478348

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 19:20

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 19:20
LOL........
FollowupID: 753843

Reply By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 19:31

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 19:31
Looks like fun Kimba

I can't quite figure out what the motor did to help fix the problem.

I presume that the boat hull being in the water effectivily reduced the downforce on the towball which probably was base reason for the floating.

Can't see if thrust of motor at rear helped much or if car was already thru the hard part.

I would have anticipated that issue during the 1 1/2 wait , and put more weight into car by shifting stuff from boat etc , and made sure boat could float a bit

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 478349

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 19:43

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 19:43
So Robin in this situation you would allow the boat to be able to float up off trailer (without it drifting off obviously) im presuming so that it will try and keep the rear of the vehicle down ?? Not been able to float more freely it is lifting the rear of the hilux ?? I have no idea wether the motor helped or not ?? I suppose it possibly did help in the pushing department ??.........
FollowupID: 753847

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 22:35

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 22:35
We followed the SES through floodwater of a similar depth but they were in a heavier Troopy so were better grounded with their boat & trailer floating on a 20 degree angle behind :-)
While the depth was just within the capabilities of this vehicle, the faster flowing water in the middle was enough to cause them to lose traction. Starting the engine was a master stoke which they may have planned although taking the boat off the trailer would have made it far easier for the Hilux in the 1st place.
Without a boat the moment the car started to float I would have opened the doors to get it back on the ground to regain traction as if you're drifting down stream you're going to get wet anyway.
Cheers Craig..............
AnswerID: 478374

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 13:46

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 13:46
Kimba,

Initially thought they may have been a bit careless, but noticed that the road there is 2 lanes wide, so had a bit of room for err.......mistakes.

Did something a lot more stupid myself, some years back, travelling down the Diamantina River road, in a 79 series ute. About 20 km south of Old Cork, had to cross a short causeway, about 25M long, that was well covered by water. Knew it wouldn't be shallow, so selected 2nd gear, low range, and idled into it. At point of no return (which was, in all honesty, 5 kms back!!!) had water build up, and start to run over the bonnet.

Kept going, with jaw hitting my chest, not game to look anywhere, except straight ahead. Was brought back to reality when a stream of water sprayed up the steering column, giving me a good soaking.

In hindsight, often wondered how much fuel was in the rear tank, because it didn't appear to move at all. Maybe the tray was full of water too???

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 478409

Sponsored Links