Bungalbin Hill to Mt Dimer track

Submitted: Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:10
ThreadID: 92072 Views:3819 Replies:7 FollowUps:22
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone know what the track's like that runs east from Bungalbin Hill (north of Southern Cross, WA) past the Mt Dimer minesite to link with the track that runs NNW from Jaurdi up to the Hunt Range?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: get outmore - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:16

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:16
Yep its a road out past the mt dimer mine. Theres a sighns saying keep out active mine site but thats old news although theres drilling going on.

Most of those tracks now are well used compared to 5 years ago due to increased exploration. Bloody orbit drilling has cleared a large area and set up a semi permanent camp around an old gnamma hole that way
AnswerID: 478549

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:25

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:25
Paul I was out that way last October and the track out of Koolyanobing was good although in Oct there was a lot of water in the hollows. Tracks through the Helena & Aurora Ranges were in excellent condition. There was a sign up saying detour at the intersection out to Mt Dimer though, but we saw a couple of vehicles who had been up there and reported no problems.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 478551

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:26

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:26
Forgot to mention the track up to the top of Bungalbin Hill is a bit of a goat track and there is only room for about 2 vehicles at the top. Track up is definately out if towing.
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 754051

Follow Up By: Rod W - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:51

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:51
Are you saying there is a track to the top of Bungalbin Hill? Or do you mean the Helena and Aurora Range?
FollowupID: 754068

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 13:54

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 13:54
Bungalbin Hill is in the Helena & Aurora Range. I've just checked my PLT file and the track into the hill petered out at its base the track up to the top of the adjoining hill is what we took at UTM 50J 7 51 69E 66 19 205N WGS 84 or 30 deg 31' 39.5"S 119deg 53' 03.5E

Rod if you send me an email I'll send you my file for that portion of the trip we did.

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 754076

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 14:24

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 14:24
More room than for 2 vehicles up there. You drive up the saddle that crosses the ranges and besides the track heading down over the other side is a track up the ranges heading south end north. The southern one starts heading towards bungalpin and peters out with not much room. The one heading north comes to an open cleared camping area st the top
FollowupID: 754077

Follow Up By: Rod W - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 14:30

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 14:30
Hi Dunc,
I know where it is, its just that you said the track to the top of Bungalbin Hill and the last time I was there, there wasn't a track to the top of Bungalbin, but there is a track at the northeast end of the Helena Aurora Range going to the top of this range and it also has a large area to camp at ie at least a dozen unless its all changed in recent times.
FollowupID: 754079

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 14:55

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 14:55
Image Could Not Be Found
The one I'm sure you're referring to is the track that is on the NE section of the attached map.

We drove down off the saddle southwards and it was pretty rough about 20m from the bottom of the hill with a nasty ledge that had my mates Troopy at a very horrible angle.

On the western side of the map is a longer pink line that heads east that is the one I was referring to.

Hope that helps.
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 754081

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 15:16

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 15:16
Wow! Thanks guys for all this wonderful info.

I'd be grateful for your PLT file as well Dunc. I'll pm my email to you.

We'll be out there over the long weekend (next weekend) & will let you know how the tracks were.

Many thanks once again.

Cheers
FollowupID: 754082

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 15:19

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 15:19
Hasn't changed rod I was there a couple of months ago
FollowupID: 754083

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 15:58

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 15:58
Paul there is a mountain of good camping spots to be found and the scenery in parts is very nice indeed.

One oddity on our October trip was the distinct lack of wild life. Not even a rabbit. Previous trip we saw a dingo, roo's, an emu and I think from memory a donkey. Guess the mining could be having an impact.

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 754085

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 20:29

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 20:29
You dont usually see a great deal if wildlife. Not being pastoral land with water sources you see far less of the animals that breed to abundance with artificial water
FollowupID: 754107

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 21:46

Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 21:46
I can report that the "Keep out" signs Get Outmore refers to are still there and are actively policed, with locked gates across the road and NO ENTRY. Calling on UHF Ch 20 (as per the signs) elicited no response and driving around the gates got us unceremoniously chucked at with threats of prosecution etc etc blah blah.

So you would have to conclude the is NO ACCESS between Bungalbin Hill and Mt Dimer as per the 250k Natmaps & the myriad of other maps that show a track there.

That said, we have had a marvelous weekend out there. Camped at Pittisporum Rock and on top of the Helena & Aurora Range and had a really good explore around it as well as the tracks from Jaurdi to Pittisporum Rock and down to the H&A Range as well as the one WNW from there to the Bullfinch Evanston Rd.

Can highly recommend the country - I'll post the plot when I tidy it up.

Cheers
AnswerID: 479578

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 01:34

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 01:34
that would be a very new thing then as it wasnt that long ago i went through there there were no gates let alone locked

having said that it barely surprices me as i could here a drilling rig somewhere and alot of those old mining areas are being revisited with the edna may mine at Westonia being one of the biggest.

I would have asked what sort of tenamant they have there because its a fairly reasnable bet it might have reverted back to an exploration tenament meaning they dont have exclusive access to it

could still be a mining tenemnet though

I supose i should get off my but and write to western 4x4

as they have had some success in the past in getting places to provide alternate routes/access

because that is a pretty major track to come accross especially from the East as ive done before and find it closed.

You didnt see who was in charge out there did you? I will flick them an email if you can reminding them thats a nationally pubblicised 4x4 route and alternate access should be provided
FollowupID: 755041

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 01:54

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 01:54
OK email sent to VECTOR RESOURCES suggesting they might like to organise alternate access through there given its importance in nationally promoted 4x4 track driving
FollowupID: 755042

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 02:04

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 02:04
and a copy of email sent to western 4x4 as well as a link to this thread
FollowupID: 755043

Reply By: get outmore - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 17:51

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 17:51
The reply from Vector resources

In response to your email below, the company locks gates for safety reasons in accordance with the relevant acts. If you require access, the gate provides contact numbers via Satellite phone and radio. Access would be permitted if it would not interfering with any exploration activities and if a necessity.

Lease number L77/135 is the Mt Dimer access road, this is held by Golden Iron Resources a wholly owned subsidiary of Vector Resources Limited, this road is owned and maintained by Vector. The safety and statutory obligations are the responsibility of Vector Resources.

Please notify the 4WD club of my contact details, and please ask them to contact me as this is a private road and should not be outlined in any 4WD routes.

AnswerID: 479644

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Sunday, Mar 11, 2012 at 17:54

Sunday, Mar 11, 2012 at 17:54
Well perhaps Vector Resources ought to contact people who make maps like Geoscience Australia (NAT Map), Hema & QPA, as well as Western 4WDriver, WA 4WD assoc, Exploroz.com, etc instead of just putting gates across what appear to be public roads and employing thugs straight out of the outlaw bikie gangs to police it.
FollowupID: 755614

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 04:15

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 04:15
I've had no response from western 4x4. That is an essential track
I urge you to contact them with your experience. Just google them and contact us. They got back to me within 48hours
FollowupID: 755643

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 21:53

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 21:53
I don't quite understand your post. Are you able to email to me your email to the company and their response, including their relevant email addresses. My email brownings at bigpond dot com.

Many thanks
FollowupID: 755690

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 05:21

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 05:21
OK ive forwarded you my coraspondance with them, if you scroll down you will see my email to them and above that is thier reply

(content removed by publisher due to infringement of privacy)

i also forwarded this to western 4wder and recieved no response
FollowupID: 755713

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 05:23

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 05:23
(content removed by site publisher due to infringement of privacy)
FollowupID: 755714

Follow Up By: Laura H - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 23:22

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 23:22
Hi Guys,
I spoke to Nick from Western 4WDriver and he said that he doesn't use the Mt Dimer road in the Roly Dimer tour and it is not recorded in the trip notes. He turns left at the junction heading to the northern side of H&A .
Cheers,
Laura
FollowupID: 756028

Reply By: Laura H - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 22:03

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 22:03
Hi All,
I have been following this thread and I would suggest contacting DEC to find out what your rights are regarding access to this area. It also makes them aware of how many people actually go out that way - which we all know is a lot of people.
In the mean time, I am involved in the protection of the H&A range and we are currently fighting the mining companies to try and stop it from being mined. I am trying to get the word out there as there is power in numbers. If you want to help go to http://savehelenaaurorarange.blogspot.com.au/ or follow on face book http://www.facebook.com/HelenaAuroraRange This will let you know of any events going on to try and save this beautiful place.
I will forward this thread to Nick at Western 4WD as well. I think he has been a bit busy lately hence the reason he may not have responded.
Cheers Laura
AnswerID: 480463

Reply By: ExplorOz - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 15:48

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 15:48
Guys, I have received a formal complaint from Vector requesting removal of their phone number and contact person's name from this post. So I must action that now.

Whilst I see it is an important issue for discussion we must act in our role as a responsible publisher and we cannot allow her details to be published here without her consent. I trust you all understand.

Please remember, you must not disclose people's names/contact details without their consent in any medium. This person's email actually contained a disclaimer too so naughty naughty!!

;)

Michelle
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

AnswerID: 482247

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 16:32

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 16:32
this is a very small part of the email sent to me

-Please notify the 4WD club of my contact details-

in the context of the email I sent to them that would mean the exploroz comunity

so nothing was done which wasnt expressly requested by her in the first place

FollowupID: 757493

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 18:02

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 18:02
I actually asked her about that, but she was referring to one specific club and now due to the volume of abusive phone calls she's received she's really ticked off.

David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 757496

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 18:54

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 18:54
No one specific club was mentioned in my email to her. In fact no mention of any club was made. The only specific mentions was for the western 4x4 mag and exploroz website. So I took her reply to mean both if these.
In hindsight I should have published their contact details as found on the net
If theres any further issues I can forward all coraspndance but there shouldn't be as she did ask for her contact details to be distributed
FollowupID: 757499

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 20:50

Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 20:50
Hi all.

Great thread this. Thanks for the track info, team.

Laura, I'm with you about protecting the H&A; I attended the BIF conference organised by the Wildflower Society 3 yrs ago, and have since visted the Range and surrounding areas. Keep up the great work.

We're off to the GVD tomorrow for a couple of weeks but I'll see if I can be any assistance to your campaign on my return, via your links.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 482394

Sponsored Links