Dometic RM2350 Quality issues ??

Hi,
I am looking to buy a Dometic 90 litre RM2350 3 way. The sales guy alerted me to some quality issues with the door latching operation, the control panel cover breaking, and the general flimsy nature of the plastic trims along top. What do owners think of their fridge. I have found that there is little choice when it comes to replacing my old unit. I like the sturdy nature of the Thetford, but cant get any performance data out of the distributor.(Not proud enough of them I guess).
What do I do ? Buy the ST rated Dometic and put up with the concerns ? I cant see an option given that I want a 3 way fridge.
I would like some feed back from owners please. Perhaps there are fixes for these problems that member are aware of ? Thank you, Barry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter E1 (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 15:30

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 15:30
Why a 3 way? Get a 12v/240v compressor fridge and you will never look back. The 3 way will deplete a battery in nothing flat on 12v and you need to almost perfectly level to operate on gas.
Set up a good 12v system and use 240v at home or 12v via a charger when at home or in a caravan park. Our 45litre Engel will quite often run for months non stop on 12v or we use 240v in parks when we use them.
Do a good search on this forum or others to see how much trouble a lot of users have using a 3way.
That's my opinion for what it's worth Barry. I'm sure you will get plenty more!
AnswerID: 478621

Follow Up By: barry22 - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 17:02

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 17:02
Pete,
Thanks for your input. I like to free camp, and in places where a generator can not be used. That only leaves solar. What if the weather is lousy for a days. What do you do then ?
I have looked on the net, and have been told by people who say not to kid yourself, and believe you can survive without a lot more than I am prepared to carry around. Hence me looking for a 3 way. I have one that is 13 years old, and under good conditions, it can freeze up. I admit that everything needs to be near perfect, but I dont see that I have any option but to use gas when in the bush. I do have an Engel in the car, but with 2 batteries, and a drive every day or so, i can keep that alive.
Thanks again. I look forward to others having a say.
Barry.

FollowupID: 754168

Follow Up By: P2D2 - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 21:14

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 21:14
If you use a tropical rated compressor fridge like the Waeco CR1080 with 2 x 120W panels and 150Ah battery, you would be unlucky to have any power issues. If you intend keeping the caravan a compressor fridge is a good investment. Personally I would NEVER EVER go back to a 3 way and LPG is no longer cheap.
If you want to use solar system for lights and fridge use 3 x 120W+ solar panels and a Morningstar Sunsaver Duo and 2 x 120Ah batteries.
http://www.waeco.com.au/products5.asp?id=340&catId=57&subCatId=61&subCatId2=72
http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/sun-saver-duo
FollowupID: 754201

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 23:23

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 23:23
"The 3 way will deplete a battery in nothing flat on 12v and you need to almost perfectly level to operate on gas."

First things first, they are not made or recommended to be run off a battery. The 12 V input is meant to e run from an alternator. Why mention that in such a negative way?

As for the "almost perfectly level." Where did you get this uninformed gem from? Dometic fridges will work further from level than I am prepared to sleep. All Dometic fridges come with a bullseye level. The fridge will work to full specifications if the bubble is within the outer green circle.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 754213

Follow Up By: nowimnumberone - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 23:58

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 23:58
all sounds good there untill theres no sun
3way in a van every time
cheers
FollowupID: 754214

Follow Up By: Member - Peter E1 (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 22:41

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 22:41
See Barry. I told you that you would get plenty of opinions. The common thread with most is that they need to be fitted properly. A lot of members mention installing a computer fan to draw the hot air away. Why isn't this a standard fit? The fans are pretty cheap and most handy persons seem to be able to fit them easily enough.
I seem to recall a few people saying they turn the fridge upside down sometimes to get the gas circulating again. What!!!
Have a good time deciding which way to go. As long as it keeps things cold, who cares?
FollowupID: 754299

Reply By: Member - Jack - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 16:52

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 16:52
I am having a current problem with Dometic where all I want a a couple of small screws to tie down the covers over the jets on my somewhat useless Dometic stove, and after three months and repeated emails I still do not have the screws, despite their repeated assurances.

Under these circumstances; I find it impossible to recommend anything with which Dometic have any association.

I am sure you have better and more customer-friendly options if you just look around. After all if Dometic cannot supply 4 small screws I am sure they would struggle with anytihhng larger.

Not happy Jan ....

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 478624

Follow Up By: barry22 - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 17:19

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 17:19
HI, I would contact a senior person at Dometic, and remind them that they advertise they are "A customer driven, world-leading provider of leisure products ....."

Ask them if they really believe that, or are they just pulling your leg.
Barry.
FollowupID: 754171

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 20:31

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 20:31
Hi Barry:
Already done that, and have been extremely patient, with no result. Hence this post. I did pose the question as to whether they are really customer focussed, and was given a definite yes, and three months later I am still not in receipt of 4 srews with a combined reatail value less than $1.00. Go figure.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 754193

Follow Up By: P2D2 - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 21:01

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 21:01
Avoid buying anything Dometic or Waeco if you can help it. Parts are non existant, parts prices are extortion and same parts can be purchased overseas in some cases as little as 15% of what Dometic Australia are charging. Service is disgusting, warranty service disgusting. Waeco used to be great until Dometic took them over. The Waeco service agents that new what they were doing were sacked and clowns engaged that know little to nothing and not interested in doing warranty work. Waeco prices went up sky high on fridges and parts. Just don't buy Dometic or Waeco as you will experience heaps of pain.
FollowupID: 754196

Follow Up By: P2D2 - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 21:19

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 21:19
Dometic Eberspacher diesel heater pump in Australia $687.50 identical pump from Europe $100 delivered to your door. That is typical of how badly Dometic parts are over priced in Australia if you are lucky enough to be able to procure them. Thank God for the Internet and PayPal to avoid been ripped off.
FollowupID: 754203

Reply By: ss--ss - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 16:59

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 16:59
I've got one in my jayco camper trailer... Works well, especially on gas.. 1 get about 20 days on a 9kg gas bottle.. The control cover on mine cracked when kit mucked around with it but a replacement cost less than $20. Gets my vote.
AnswerID: 478625

Follow Up By: barry22 - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 17:11

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 17:11
Thanks for your comments.
Any problems with the door latching method, or any difficulty using the control knobs etc.
Thanks Barry
FollowupID: 754169

Follow Up By: ss--ss - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 10:06

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 10:06
Gday Barry, I have had it from 2009 & havnt had any problems with the latch & controls.. Usually on gas take 2 or 3 clicks before it starts & I found that if I light the stove 1st tit usually starts first time.
Also if you want to use it on 12V you probably will need bigger cables from the car, they use a lot of amps.. An engel or Waeco are much better at 12v. On 240v & gas it works like a charm.

Here's the manual if your interested.
http://www.dometicmanuals.com/2006%5C825%5C122705EN.pdf
FollowupID: 754227

Reply By: ozjohn0 - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 17:26

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 17:26
My personal opinion is that the RM2350 and any other fridge with a CEN 'N' - 'SN' or 'ST' climate rating should not be allowed to be imported into the country.
They will not keep food at the Australian Food Storage Standard temperature of below 5c under normal Australian summer temperatures.
The minumum should be CEN 'T' rated.
Ozjohn.
AnswerID: 478629

Follow Up By: barry22 - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 17:48

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 17:48
If what you say is factual, why would someone not challenge Dometic, and have sales halted.

Why would Dometic, and others not import (only) the T class fridges ? . Cost, using up old non-T class components on the aussies. or, is it a fact that the ST rated 90 litre (for example ),really does comply, despite what forum members continue to say ??

How can this be resolved. Is there someone out there that is a little smarter that most of us, who holds the answer ????

Please come forward. Thanks Barry
FollowupID: 754175

Follow Up By: P2D2 - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 21:05

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 21:05
Ozjohn is on the money. All the non T rated fridges drop their guts at around 28C and died by 32C. Reason they are rated like they are. Some will tell you miracle stories about how their SN or ST rated fridge worked perfectly in 40C heat which is all lies as they dont have a thermometer in the fridge. If they could work at those temperatures the manufacturer would rate them T rated. They don't rate them T because they cannot work in temps above 32C.
FollowupID: 754197

Reply By: Member - Brian C (ACT) - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 18:32

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 18:32
We agree with the post that the less than T rating units should not be fitted to RV's in this country, we tossed ours out after a trip to the top end which resulted in some loss of food. We changed to the Engel supported by two 80 watt solar cells, we have not had any problems even on dull days.
BrianC

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 478634

Reply By: Member - Burto (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 18:37

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 18:37
It never fails, ask a question about fridges or batteries and out of the woodwork they come.
For what it's worth I have had a Dometic/Chescold RC1180 fridge/freezer for the past 3 years, it replaced my previous Chescold that lasted 20 yeears.
To date have had no problems with it, sure they draw a lot of current on 12 volts,10 amps on max but mine is only on 12 volts when we are driving, when stopped straight onto gas, they dont have to exactly dead level to operate.
We love watching the 12 volt crowd do the solar panel dance when camping in the bush.
I wonder how many of the 3 way knockers have actually used a 3 way fridge, I haven't but my camping parteners have 12 volt fridges. So have observed their operation.
In regards to temp capabilities, just had the thermostat in the household freezer, fail, 3 to 4 business days for replacement, 10 days later, serviceman fitted new thermostat. Where did we put the meat, in the Chescold running on 240 volts with the freezer divider removed. Strangely none of it thawed even through it was in a colourbond shed, live on the Mid north coast.
Thats my 2 cents worth
AnswerID: 478636

Follow Up By: den57 - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 19:23

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 19:23
We have a 184 ltr 3 way fridge and when the van was built we specifyed that we wanted the top vent for the fridge to be on the roof, as in a motor home roof vent. The gas flue still comes out the side but the roof vent does what a chimney does, it draws the heat up and away from the fridge. No fans, no insulation, no extra work carried out and the fridge stays on 3 on the dial in summer and winter.
We travel nth in summer,Cns and further nth and travel sth in winter.
The only drawback that i see is they dont like to have a big load put in the freezer in one go.
As far as being level, i walk around in the van and if i am not walking up hill or down hill then it is close enough.
As for 12 current draw, i don,t use it. Admittedly we only drive for about 4 hrs but fridge keeps cold and freezer stays frozen. If we want ice cream ,then not a problem.
The other big problem with 3 way fridges is correct installation, in particular placement of the top vent.
Very happy with ours and no doubt there are plenty of people happy with 12v compressor fridges.
Den and Col
FollowupID: 754182

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 21:56

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 21:56
Ours is a 128l in a 2010 jayco Sterling. Runs brilliant on gas, good enough on 12v and really well on 240v. It is T rated and has had to suffer up to 40 deg heat. I do have a computor fan set up at the top vent.
The door catch has not been a problem so far,in fact I like it and find it really user friendly. Gas has not been a problem as we have two 9kg bottles. One has lasted two weeks recently with cooking and hot water use included and has still not run out. Cheers,Bob

FollowupID: 754208

Reply By: Member - bill f (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 19:23

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 19:23
Hi, Installed one last year to replace an old compressor fridge that came with the van. Had troubles with the door. Had to reverse it & did not reverse the catch. Didn't seem to need it. WRONG. Finally got it right. Fridge ran well (on 240) in the summer heat in Townsville for our enforced 2 months stay. Still do not like the catch. Found you had to give an extra push to make sure it was shut properly & then hard work to open again. Not real great on 12v while moving but great overnight on gas. Level best but not critical.
Have been working out where to put another latch as I think the original will fail in time. Bill
AnswerID: 478638

Reply By: P2D2 - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 20:57

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 20:57
Reason why Thetford have no performance data they don't perform. Dometic RM2350 is bad, Thetford a shocker.
AnswerID: 478646

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 23:09

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 23:09
Sounds like you have been listening to Geezer David's malicious mutterings (are you one of his disciples?) Thetford fridges work to the climate T ratings. However, like Dometic fridges, if you don't install them properly they will not perform to their capabilities.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 754212

Reply By: oldtrack123 - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 21:43

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 21:43
Hi
Just another very happy Dometic user user
Once it was correctly installed
Works well on ALL input including 12v in temps well above 28c[thermostat still controlling
35C no problem's
Some here may have a barrow to push

Peter
AnswerID: 478656

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 10:27

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 10:27
This post is even more fun than those on Cooper tires, LPG fuel conversions or Nissan v Toyota! Love em.

AnswerID: 478685

Follow Up By: barry22 - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 12:11

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 12:11
Hi Paul,
I asked the initial question re Dometic ST fridge performance/quality.
No wonder I am still completely bewildered ! I still can't understand why ALL Dometic fridges aren't the best rating possible, (ie, T, or even better). It does not seem to be rocket science..Surely an upgrade of the critical components would solve everyones problems, wouldn't it ???

Has Dometic ever commented ?? Can" we" upgrade our ST to T rated fridges in some way ??
Barry
FollowupID: 754234

Reply By: oldtrack123 - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 13:29

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 13:29
Hi Barry
You, yourself may be able to go along way towards that
It includes:
[1]getting as much good insulation as you can on the top & sides
This will reduce heat penetrating into the fridge
[2]Ensure the fridge is installed correctly ACCORDING to DOMETICS instructions
Very few are
[3]It is important to get as much heat as possible removed from the condensor
Correct baffling assisted by fan/s will ensure that
The aim should be to get the cooling air flowing only through the condensor, not bypassing it ,as much as practical
Idealy the air entering the fridge evaporator should be @ ambient temp
If this is achieved, coupled with improved insulation around 38> 40c will not be a problem
You need to look @ your set for baffling & venting,THAT IS WHERE MOST FALL DOWN
Regarding12v operation they are not advised for 12v operation when the engine is not charging the battery
Dometic make that very clear

With most ,the 12v heater is very much the same heating output as the 240v element,IF IT GETS 12v ,the voltage it is designed for.

Sadly ,do to incompetance or cost saving, very very few have heavy enough cables fron the tug battery to the fridge terminals
If the fridge does not get 12v @ its terminals when operating ,it like most electrical devices, cannot be expected to perform to specs

If you have a multi meter ,it is quite simple to verify the voltage @ the fridge.
Anything under 12v is not acceptable
Peter
AnswerID: 478700

Sponsored Links