To pull or not to pull

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 18:07
ThreadID: 92125 Views:2369 Replies:6 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
While getting in the car while out i thought i saw the head of a nail.

I thought better wait till i get home before exploring further.

Even at home do you just pull it out and plug it your self or leave it in and get some one else to do it.

My tyre was not deflated so reckoned it would probably be OK.

I went with the pull option.

I am hoping it will be OK. It was a small thin nail and was more on the angle so may not have penertrated the tyre right through, I will see a bit later I guess.

If on the road i would probably do the same thing and keep an eye on it .

I suppose i could have just changed the tyre and got it fixed but would have felt a bit of a goose given that it may not have been a problem.

What would you do?

Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: escapesilv - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 18:38

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 18:38
Hi Rich

Yes I'm like you I wait till I get to destination, and then PULL and wait and see.
Next morning I am probably changing tyres or plugging up, but it felt good.

Cheers Rob.
AnswerID: 478738

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 18:54

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 18:54
:)
FollowupID: 754267

Reply By: SDG - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 18:53

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 18:53
I go to a tyre joint and let them pull it out. That way if it needs repairing, I let them do all the work while I sit and wait in their air conned office with a fresh coffee.

I keep all my plugs for when I really need them.
AnswerID: 478739

Follow Up By: ChrisE - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 18:56

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 18:56
X2
FollowupID: 754268

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 18:58

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 18:58
That certainly went through my head and may wish i did this if flat tomorrow.

Rich
FollowupID: 754269

Reply By: Member - Josh- Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 22:40

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 22:40
When we were on the road I pulled up at a servo for fuel. Could air leaking and sure enough found a nail. Got the tyre plugs out. Pulled the nail, put the tyre plug in, topped it up with air ans away we went faster than it would have taken to change the tyre.
Another time pulled into camp for the night. Woke upin the morning to find 1 tyre down on the trailer. Apon inspection found a nail. Out with the plugs, pull the nail, in with the plug and pump up the tyre all done while the missus does the breaky dishes.
I noe carru the plugs in my Rav 4. I pulled into a servo a couple of months back. Could hear air. Pulled over to the side. There was another guy there putting air in his tyres. He saw me check the nail and made a comment about hating changing tyres. I smiled and said "that's why I don't change them".
I proceeded to pull the nail and plug then top up the tyre with air from my own compressor before he finished doing all his tyres.
He was dumb founded then asked about the tyre plugs. This is the put I hate. After telling him they will cost about $60 plus for a good set, he says Nah, I could get a set off ebay for $20 I bet. I wished him good luck and thought why I'd bother.
I only change the tyre if it has a hole in it. Other wise just plug it.
Problem is with your situation is if the nail almost went through but not quite (talking half a mil left in rubber) then your doing 100 km/h down the freeway with a tyre about ready to blow. I would get it looked at asap.

Josh
AnswerID: 478783

Follow Up By: ChrisE - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 23:02

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 23:02
Just remember that using plugs is actually not legal. Ok for emergencies but should always get a patch put in on the inside of the tyre. Any reputable tyre place will tell you they won't use a plug if you take it to them.
FollowupID: 754300

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 23:53

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 23:53
Josh,
Take your point, i should get it checked, may be difficult finding the spot where nail was.
It was not deep into the tyre though, but still worth a check.

I do keep plug kit in the car, not a cheap ebay one though. Only used it a couple of times.
Takes me a lot longer than you though :)

Rich

FollowupID: 754302

Follow Up By: Member - Josh- Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 09:18

Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 09:18
ChrisE, Were do you get that the plugs are illegal. do you have the legislation that shows this. I've never heard anyone say they are illegal??
I have had several tyre places (all reputable) tell me the plugs are as good as a patch. I would still get a patch. I had a tyre do 14,000 km including the GBR with just the tyre plug after having 3 tyre places tell me not to bother with a patch. Never had a problem with it. Chris if you can could you post where you got that they are illigal please, would be interested to see.

Thanks
Josh
FollowupID: 754318

Follow Up By: Member - Josh- Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 09:58

Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 09:58
I contacted vicroads. Tyre plugs are legal if inserted from the inside with a mushroom head. Image Could Not Be Found
They must be used in the tread area only.
Image Could Not Be Found
So if tire plugs (the brown string ones) are illegal then why can you buy them.
Vicroads said the only plugs that are legal (even in emergancy) are the mushroom type inserted from the inside.

Josh
FollowupID: 754322

Follow Up By: Andrew - Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:35

Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:35
They are legal if not used on a highway. Most of the packaging tells you they are for off road use.

Yes they work. They can be very fast and effective and really useful for getting you out of trouble, however the reason they say to repair it properly at the the first opportunity is so you can check the internal casing for unseen damage that can lead to a blowout (delamination, broken cords, contamonation etc.)

Most of the good quality external string type plugs can actually work quite well IF, they are inserted correctly and the casing is not critically damaged and there has not been any contamination of the hole. Have done many miles on them. have also seen them work their way out causing sudden deflation.

Mushroom plugs are designed to seal the hole effectively and they can't blow out the hole.

I carry them (not cheap ones). I use them. I always pull the tyre off and repair correctly later.

regards

a

FollowupID: 754329

Follow Up By: ChrisE - Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:48

Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:48
Exactly.... I thought I would refrain from saying you shouldn't use them at all like the VicRoads regs, as I can understand why you would use them rather than changing a tyre, but really only to get you to the next camp and then do it properly. The potential for them to come out when doing 110 up the freeway is the concern, as it won't be a slow leak.

I used to work at a Bob Jane T-Marts whilst at Uni. We used those plugs with the patch as per your pictures if there was a bit of a hole (but very rarely, maybe 1 to 100 normal patches). It is also a good idea to take the tyre off anyway to make sure it is not damaged internally from running flat (although not the case in the original post).

Maybe puts a bit of a cloud over some of the "reputable" tyre shops around, a good test to find a truely "reputable" one, even the big chains have suspect operators... maybe they didn't need/want the work as not a lot of money in it unless the tyre is potentially nackered...

They do have their place, but just like you can by a 6" lift for your Patrol, doesn't mean it is legal to use on the road....
FollowupID: 754330

Follow Up By: Member - Josh- Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:49

Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:49
Andrew, can you show proof of your comment "They are legal if not used on a highway". A lot off off road tracks are gazzetted roads and still come under the ADR's. Vicroads said the "only" tire plugs that are legal are the mushroom types that are inserted from the inside.
This is the biggest problem I see with forums like this is people make comments like "it is legal" "they are Illegal" but with no proof so really they are just opinions which every one is entitled to, but when it comes to road rules and legistration opinions don't mean squat. I'm not having a go at any one here so don't jump up and down. I'm just asking for clarifacation of comments. I use the plugs and love then, never had one fail, been told by tire places that they are as good as a patch, been told by others they are illegal. Just trying to find the truth which is hard to do these days with so many rules and regs.

Josh
FollowupID: 754331

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 12:29

Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 12:29
While it has been said that those strip plugs are for emergency use to get you home, they are in fact very reliable if used correctly and have never let us down. Son got a gash in a tyre once, and used four in a row. Twelve months later they were still holding perfectly (a long way home eh?). Side wall repairs are another story.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 754335

Follow Up By: Andrew - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2012 at 14:19

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2012 at 14:19
Fair enough Josh

This might help

From VicRoads vehicle Standards Information sheet 16 Tyre repairs

VSI 16 link
REPAIRS

In order to ensure that tyres are repaired correctly and continue to be considered roadworthy the repair procedure adopted by the Australian Tyre Manufacturer's Association should be followed.

Tyres which have tread or casing separation or other damage such as broken, kinked or exposed bead wires, or cracks or cuts which extend into the tyre fabric should not be repaired.

Radial ply passenger car tyres may only be repaired in the crown area. (see figure 1.) Repairs of any type are not permitted in the bead, sidewall, or shoulder area of the tyre.

In order to carry out a satisfactory permanent repair the tyre must be removed from the rim as this is the only way to adequately assess the condition of the tyre. The tyre must be carefully examined for any damage or faults, which would make it unsafe for further, use. If the tyre is suitable for repair the area to be repaired must then be properly prepared on the inside of the tyre and an appropriate patch or mushroom headed plug installed and vulcanised from the inside. In all repairs external damage must be properly sealed to prevent moisture and contaminants from entering the structure of the tyre carcase.

Repair of punctures in tubeless tyres by insertion of plugs or loops of adhesive or sealant impregnated cord without removing the tyre from the rim is not a satisfactory procedure. This method is acceptable only as an emergency repair in exceptional circumstances to enable the vehicle to be driven to a service centre where proper repairs can be made.

legal off road because the rules don't apply.
The vehicle standards only apply on roads / highways and not off road. and yes most forest tracks etc are gazetted as roads.

regards

A
FollowupID: 754433

Follow Up By: Member - Josh- Tuesday, Feb 28, 2012 at 18:50

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2012 at 18:50
Thanks Andrew, I did look for that damn sheet but couldn't find it. Thanks for posting it.

Josh
FollowupID: 754450

Reply By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 11:26

Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 11:26
Hi all,

The use of plugs might be illegal - but I would be much happier going down the highway at 100 kph with plugs in a puncture than hoping a nail in a tyre wont give way and I destroy the tyre or worse!

Here's a tip when inserting a plug don't use the lubricant some kits give you, use tyre patch glue. It acts as a lubricant and can only help make the plug more secure.

And yes sort them out when you get back home etc.

cheers gang
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 478819

Reply By: Member - Rich - Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 11:44

Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 11:44
Checkd my tyre this morning andnno noticable drop in pressure. May be half a psi but that could be just me.

I will keep an eye on it and will go for a spin later.

My problem in taking it to a Tyre store is unless it is leaking it will ge difficult to find the hole. I will ask though.

Richrd

AnswerID: 478821

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 12:24

Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 12:24
An ex truckie we met on the road said to us "If it has a screw head, just screw it up".

My husband had by chance noticed a nail in a caravan tyre - it could have been there for weeks for all we knew, as they are usually picked up closer to civilisation. We called in at a few Stuart Highway roadhouses to see if they did repairs. All said - "If it is holding air don't touch it". Three weeks later we reached Tennant Creek and removed the tyre for repairs at the local tyre service. It was still holding full pressure. We just wanted it fixed so we didn't have to worry about it.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 478824

Sponsored Links