Advice sought on 'RV' Style 'OZ Tents'

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 19:13
ThreadID: 92129 Views:2989 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
hello.

Looking at these 'RV' style OZ tents.

see linkhttp://tentworld.com.au/showitem.aspx?item=125222

This style has a few different sizes,but the style looks very useful,and practical.
The maker claims they can be set up very quickly.I am unfamiliar with this tent.

But like what I see,does anyone here have any experience with them?What are your thoughts?

They are quite expensive-$800 to $1000.I have a 'tourer' style tent which is still in good nic,so might have to delay a purchase for a while-but I really like the awaning on these 'RV' style tents - Be very good for setting in the shade.

Anyhow-any thoughts most welcome

Thanks D
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jack - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 20:10

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 20:10
Oztent Website may give you more options

There are plenty of Oztent users on this site. I have the RV4. I would have got the larger RV5 had they been available when I bought this.

For me they are the 'ant's pants'. Quick to erect, comfortable, roomy, no centrepole to work around. Also the Oztent guys are very good with any aftersales matters.

Main drawback is their overall length when packed. Most have to go on the roof. I have an Ozpod on the roof and this works well for me. They are not cheap, but then anything of quality isn't.

Putting up the side and end panels will add to the setup time, but we don't do it all the time. When they are put up though you have a nice roomy site.

I love mine. I also have a camper trailer, but still love camping with the Oztent.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 478759

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 20:11

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 20:11
Hi Darter

Believe what you are told, they are fantastic and in fact the best tent by far that we have ever owned.

They can be erected in 30 seconds and when we have had to use it out bush (our usual preferred sleeping mode is a swag) they are so simple to set up.

We have added a few extras, including the fly, 2 standard side panels and the front panel. In bush mode, it is as it is to save time, but when staying put for a few days or more, it is the full extras.

Here are 2 shots, the first between Cocklebiddy and Rawlinna and the only cleared flat ground. The was a friendly breeze, on wood for a fire and we wanted protection from the cold wind. 30 seconds later we were settle down inside the tent and it was like we were in heaven. The second image was in full tourist mode.

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

There have been many questions like yours over the years and those that have them are usually very happy.

There have been a number of debates over the years about condensation, do not be fooled, it will happen in any tent given the right conditions.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 478760

Reply By: darter - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 21:01

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 21:01
Thanks Jack and Stephen.

I suspected that these were highly thought off.

One question,as Stephen mentions they usually end up on the roof due to length.

If I get the RV 3 size,that's where mine will be carried,it looks a neat package at

2m by 25 cm by 15 cm.How have you felt it ties down?neat package?

Thanks Stephen for the piccy's and Jack for extra link

Cheers Chris
AnswerID: 478771

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 21:53

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 21:53
Hi Darter

I should have also mentioned that we have the RV4....fantastic.

I have 2 straps that it ties down to the cross bars, no problems what so ever. The only thing that Fiona has custom made, as we do not have the Pod, is covers to slip over the front and rear of the tent bag.

The front bag stops bugs from marking the bag, while the rear one is more important. The first time on dirt tracks, and the zipper was a little hard to undo at the very end, where dust settles on and makes its way in as you travel. With the covers fitted, they work a treat and also keeps the tent bag clean.

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

You will be very happy and the first time you will find it so easy.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 754296

Follow Up By: darter - Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 08:48

Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 08:48
Thanks Stephen.

For that information and images,very helpful.Might get the RV 4 instead of RV 3.

That third image-is most amazing-where exactly is that?Looks like a good photography place.

Cheers Chris

BTW-thanks for info on Engels a few weeks back,just bought a MT 45 Series II 40 litre engel.
FollowupID: 754315

Follow Up By: Mudguard - Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 09:15

Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 09:15
Hi Darter,
We have the RV4 and the FLY is a must have 7 more pegs to put in but NO condensation and it pays to get an extra spreader for the fly as well it tightens it up beautifully

FollowupID: 754317

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 14:16

Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 14:16
Hi Darter and Mudguard

The spreader bar is also a must to buy, shapes the tent and stops the front awning from sagging. This picture shows has they look with the spreader bar:

Image Could Not Be Found

As for the area to where the third image was taken, it was between Holowilena and Baratta. The old Windowarta Hut stops us every time and give it a few years, it will be down on the ground.

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 754344

Follow Up By: jskogsta - Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 14:59

Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 14:59
Yeah; second that with the fly. I keep it zipped up permanently and it goes up when we put it up. Well worth it.. a must imho after using it for a while. Only thing I'll do when I get to it, is to replace the alu poles with proper steel ones. Strenght being one reason, but I've had some poles that 'extend' be bent and very hard to pull out/in. But all in all; love the tent. Worth the money imho.
Portaled 79 series with rego VALHAL. Selcal 1510 VKS. Nissan 4x4 Club of Victoria & Trakmaster Owners Club.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 754346

Follow Up By: jskogsta - Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 15:00

Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 15:00
.. on a last note; we have the RV-5 and very happy we went with the bigger version. Either way you would have to transport it on the roof, so going a bit bigger is not a bad idea imho.
Portaled 79 series with rego VALHAL. Selcal 1510 VKS. Nissan 4x4 Club of Victoria & Trakmaster Owners Club.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 754347

Reply By: The Bucket - Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 16:53

Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 16:53
G'day
Love my Oztent.
They told me when I bought the tent why would you want to put a dirty tent.in the car for anyway the best place is on the roof.
I thourght he wasjust being a typical salesman I soon learnt he was right after trip a few weeks ago.
I now own roof racks.
Cheers
AnswerID: 478844

Reply By: Member - IdahOz - Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 17:08

Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 17:08
We have an RV4 and it has worked well for two adults and 4 kids. I think they are an awesome tent. I have noticed that the bigger tents get that way by adding extra room toward the back of the tent past the metal floor support bar that goes across the width of the tent. So it is more usable for storing your gear than for sleeping unless you have a thick enough mattress that the metal bar won't be felt through it. For that reason, if it was only for two people I would go with the RV2 and reap the benefit of less weight and equal comfort. Fraun
AnswerID: 478846

Reply By: darter - Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 21:49

Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 21:49
Thanks everyone,I'll get one of these eventually-certainly more practical than my 'Tourer' style tent.

AnswerID: 478872

Reply By: Kalex - Wednesday, Feb 29, 2012 at 19:35

Wednesday, Feb 29, 2012 at 19:35
I also recommend that you look at the "Jettent" which is made by oztent. I have a F30 model and it is great, same awning as the 30 second tent, but it packs up to 1.5m long.
http://jettent.com/
AnswerID: 478991

Sponsored Links