Camp oven Roast

Hello All

I was watching 4wd Adventure's last night on channel 44 9 Adelaide and they cooked a roast in the camp oven. What was different was he cooked it in a oven bag and he also added the normal seasoning + the secret ingredient.

The secret ingredient was SUGAR,

What he also put in the oven bag was corn flour and water and chopped up onions. So once cooked you had a onion gravy already prepared.

My Question to you all is ..... Have you used sugar on your roast or what added sugar does to the roast.

Cheers Vern
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve - Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 14:54

Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 14:54
airy-fairy nonsense. Use the same ingredients as you do at home (if you do it at home?)

Must say, I'm a bit over sugar in everything that is cooked thanks to my brother, who uses it on everything but egg n bacon (I think)

We use Gravox and a spalsh of whatever wine is at hand and instead of plain water, use a bit of what your veggies have been cooked in if you are doing any boiled veg separately (limited room in the oven). Nothing better than a camp oven roast. Seems to concentrate the flavours.

Pre-heat the oven, put in your trivet and we usually line the side with foil to stop anything burning. Put meat, pumpkin/swede and spuds on the trivet and cooking is under way. As thing progress, add your carrots (delicious in an oven - possibly the tiniest sprinkle of sugar there, but we don't) and when it's ready, take out and keep warm and you'll find the juices from the meat on the bottom of your oven. Add seasoning, dash of wine, water that your peas and broccolli have been cooked in stir and serve. We usually give things a quick squirt of olive oil from a spray can at the beginning so nothing sticks. If you don't lick your plate after that, your either not well or too well brought up.
AnswerID: 479285

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 16:42

Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 16:42
Nice to see a response from another plate licker!!!

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 754736

Follow Up By: Steve - Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 17:58

Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 17:58
I do try to be discreet but our boys die of embarrassment - even in the dark with nobody around. ;-))

forgot to say the Gravox goes in at the end with the seasoning/wine/water
FollowupID: 754741

Follow Up By: Member - Vern - Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 19:13

Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 19:13
I have cooked many a traditionalcamp oven roast however I was just wanting to know about the sugar
FollowupID: 754756

Follow Up By: Steve - Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 20:50

Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 20:50
just gives it a bit of a glaze or caramelization, depending on how much you apply. Also sweetens it up as you'd expect but for me, that masks the flavour of what it should really be. Different preferences, maybe. Not really a "magic" ingredient
FollowupID: 754771

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 05:44

Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 05:44
Yep. If you caramellise onions in a pan you can add a bit of sugar. A sugar glaze on a roast will darken it a bit.

The big plus in that recipe is the oven bag where you get a combination of steaming and browning.
FollowupID: 754975

Reply By: murrayman - Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 22:49

Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 22:49
hi vern, turn the tv off, only crap on there. sugar in a roast? whats the world cuming to. i just hosed the mouse bleep out my camp oven and chopped up a couple rabbitts, lit a fire, braised slowly with a spoon of galic, spoon of horse readish, spooon of green curry and some lumpy mustard, half a bottle of plonk cooked for 3 hours, in with the veg, add gravy and it gave me a hard on that a cat couldnt scratch. listen to a bit of juke box satdy night on the radio, half botlle of turkey, how much better can life get, all in my bak paddock. cheers mm
AnswerID: 479342

Sponsored Links