2007 Turbo diesel Prado. Occasionally the engine stalls during take off

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 20:19
ThreadID: 92276 Views:12704 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Members. I own a 2007 model (Common Rail) 3 Litre Turbo Diesel Prado. Recently while in the central west of NSW on a day when the temp was hovering aroung 41C and was taking off after a short lunch stop, the engine stalled on the start of taking off. Luckily it started again immediately thereafter. I had it checked by the local toyota dealer in Forbes who found that the cable to the fuel filter thingie had become disconnected, after a service. It was re attached, I did not give it another thought however it has since cut out a hand full of times since. Do I have a problem? Is so what? Worried it might be an injector :-(
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 20:24

Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 20:24
Hi Macka. They do have another fuel filter underneath the vehicle. It is behind the transfer case up above the tailshaft. I wonder if it has ever been changed? Cheers,Bob.
AnswerID: 479326

Reply By: Ross M - Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 23:40

Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 23:40
A single injector won't stop the engine only make it run roughly and if it restarts and runs properly then NO it isn't an injector.

The mention of the fuel filter may NEVER have been changed is a real issue as many Toyotas Dealers do not change fuel filters but charge the customer for them. The dealer also picks up many more dollars in his pocket when the full repair of the fuel system is needed after the total failure happens. It has happened many times to Prados and Hilux's. Only costs around $8000
This is the degree of disregard dealers have for you and your investment.

If the vehicle has been recently serviced then I would look at the items or wiring near the items that were moved /disconnected or touched during service. eg Plug to sensors etc.
Look for something in the wiring field which moves under load and therefore may squirm a bit and momentarily disconnect and reconnect like a loose wiring plug.
AnswerID: 479346

Follow Up By: Member - mickmci - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 04:31

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 04:31
Thanks for the input Ross M. After the last service, was when the problems began, I immediately left with the caravan for central NSW. After the stalling incident the dealer found a plug disconnected. This plug when looking at the engine from the front is on the right, Its a stand alone unit the plug goes into a female fitting on the top. On my old Landcruiser I think the fuel filter and a little hand pump was in this position. That leads me to think it is the fuel pump or sensors or both. He plugged in back in and no more problems for a while. Since then maybe a half doz times it has cut out.
If I am right in assuming the unplugged electrical connection was to a filter / pump would the thing still go without any current to run it??
FollowupID: 754802

Follow Up By: Ross M - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 12:01

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 12:01
G'day MackaMM
I don't think the relative positions of the old cruiser to the gear on the Prado can be compared to id stuff cos of the totally different systems used.
If you know which plug was loose and refitted by the dealer I would start looking there first.
Most people who find a plug loose grab it and jam it quickly back into position
without a carefully check first. It is easy to bend a connector pin or 1 or more pins catch the edge and are dislodged form the plug case and can be retracted slightly. This can cause an intermittent connection fault.
Remove the plug and carefully check all pins are not bent and are at the same level in the plug. Also check other plugs for fitting integrity and internal cleanliness and condition.
Especially because a human monkey at a delaers touched something and you have had trouble since the dealer interference it is highly likely it is something they have touched and you have said it has only happened after they got near it.

Whats the DIF Dealer Induced Failure.

Ross M
FollowupID: 754863

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 09:18

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 09:18
mickmci

Sorry mate, I can't resist this.

If it is stalling on take-off try using AV-GAS.

But on a serious note maybe replace the fuel filter/s.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 479368

Follow Up By: Mechdave - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 19:09

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 19:09
Perhaps if the engine has been mis behaving and the dealer plugged a wire back in to the fuel filter it might be worth a look to see if there is any water in the bottom of your filter by undoing the filter drain and draining some fuel into a glass. Usually water will turn up like little "beads" in the fuel.
Usually the water in fuel light also illuminates on the dash like this one --> http://assets.pakwheels.com/forums/2010/attachments/Electrical---Wiring---Battery---Lights/245750-Toyota-Prado-Warning-Light-c323-toyota-landcruiser.jpg

If there is water in your fuel it is a serious problem. You will need to drain the water out of the bottom of the tank. Common rail engines have very small tolerances in the fuel system and water will destroy expensive components.

With my experience on EFI diesel (CAT,Cummins and Detroit), the engine management will shut down the engine VERY quickly if it senses or thinks it senses water in the fuel.

If there is no water in your system maybe you should get a printout of the engine fault codes both inactive and active in your vehicle. Usually a dealer will do this, (for a cost of course), and report back to you what fault codes are present.
Sometimes a sensor can play up as well :)
FollowupID: 754937

Sponsored Links