Jayco or Coromal??

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 21:33
ThreadID: 92277 Views:13278 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

I know, here we go, another one of those, is brand X better than brand Y questions, sorry about that, but.

I'm looking at buying an offroad campervan, my choice is (was) a Jayco swan outback, there are some good late model one's with a bundle of extra's at the top end of my price range (that are priced as much as a basic new one), and would well and truly fit the bill, but in my travels today I stopped and had a look at a new Coromal (F400 I think, similar design, same size) for only a little more than a near new second hand Jayco with extras, That got me thinking how much was a new Jayco swan outback, seems the Coromal is cheaper buy not a real lot but enough to make some for some serious research, and then there is the extra's needed for self sufficiency, read $$$ ( how long is a piece of string).

What are peoples opinions on either brand? , I'm not out to cause another Coopers/BFG's, Holden/Ford, Waeco/Engel sledge-a-thon, but I am after some sound views, also, researching here on old threads indicates favorable views towards the older model Coromal and significant price difference also back then lends itself to an implied higher level of quality, so, has one improved to a higher level of quality to match the other?, or has it gone the other way to compete on price.
Also coromal only do one model of (offroad) campervan, everybody has different needs, It can be specced up to what ever I wanted, what ever I was willing to pay

Is there REAL difference in the 2 brands now, or is it down to a simple chioce of how you want the floor plan to look?

Thanks in advance, Shane

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Carreen - Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 22:16

Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 22:16
Hi Shane,
We are off on our lap of Australia in 3 weeks and are using a soft floor camper trailer. I suppose the big question is where do you want to go? If it is mainly on the black top and nice gravel roads then I would choose the Coromal. My reasons being is that I have a crappy back and we looked at updating for some added comfort to travel with on our big adventure. We looked at Jayco and Coromal units, then sat back to think hard. My ex husband is from a manufacturing background as an upholsterer so I know about things stapled together if you get my point. Looking under the Jaycos and in the kitchens, a lot of it was held by staples and not going to hold together on rough corrugated roads some of which our journey will take us to. Looking at the Coromal it was more solid with kitchens screwed together but we got to thinking that to outlay $14000 to update our camper to one of these units that were also a lot bigger than ours in size to tow, would pay for a lot of cabins or nice hotel rooms if my back plays up. So we improved the old mattress and bought a new camp chair and we are nearly packed. Good luck with the decision making.
Carreen
AnswerID: 479337

Follow Up By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 12:10

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 12:10
Thanks for that Carreen
FollowupID: 754866

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 00:13

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 00:13
This is an observation of Jayco but can easily apply to other brands.
To carry the load many 4wd vehicles use longer but capable springs to hold a load.
That is, far longer than Jayco springs. The jayco springs are short and are highly curved with many leaves. This means there is far less compliance in the suspension even though it may be independent design and have shocks fitted.
I have seen noticed Jayco "Off Road" are now called Outback with recent designs.
Off road implies suitable for OFF ROAD but because of suspension/axle failures where the axle breaks off and the wheel and brake unit leaves the cvan and damages the cvan it has been renamed to the latter name.
This covers Jayco, but not you, if it has been used on rough roads eg Mereenie Loop Road.

I have seen a Jayco about 2 y old with the left axle broken off 30 km from Kings Canyon and towed the last bit of the Mereenie.
With the springs it had on the cvan as standard it is little wonder the axle broke off with the road shocks unable to be absorbed by the suspension.

High tyre pressures might also have been a factor in some failures as the trye acts to absorb some road shock also and must be at a suitable pressure for the speed, conditions and load.
This type of failure is not an isolated case.
Please investigate and choose carefully.
Trawl for Jayco axle failures, see what you find.
AnswerID: 479350

Follow Up By: disco driver - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 01:00

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 01:00
Ross,
If you take the time to look at other caravans, those with leaf springs all have short springs to comply wih standard build practices.
I think that it's illegal for springs to be longer than 900mm between the eyes but haven't bothered to check it out.

Someone else, no doubt, will.

Disco.
FollowupID: 754800

Reply By: Marksom - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 08:29

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 08:29
Hi Mark from Ballina here, have got Jayco Outback Dove, smaller than Hawk/Eagle, do agree with staples to hold together, Ive gone thru & sikaflexed any joints I can, put stronger fill pieces, etc,(always trying to build a better mouse trap theory), we travelled central Oz, includung Merenie Loop, dropped tyre pressures & speed to suit, no problems...Jayco is made of alum sheeting, like most, but would seriously consider fibreglass models, copped hail storm recently, looked like a golf ball, like most things these days...built down to price,not up to a standard.
AnswerID: 479362

Reply By: Mark1959 - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 08:52

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 08:52
Shane,
We have a 2010 Jayco Outback, we have taken it over part of the Strzelecki Track from Cameron Corner to Innamincka, Haddon Corner and Birdsville, It did it easily although we did reduce tyre pressure, the only issues were the shock absorber protectors both fell off and screws in draws fell out. These are easily repaired. We LOVE our Jayco.
AnswerID: 479364

Reply By: ozjohn0 - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 09:50

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 09:50
Neither make a true Off Roader.
But the lastest offering from Jayco are a massive improvement over earlier Outback models that had the Spring Over Axle conversion.
A few of the newer models have certainly been beefed up.
OJ
AnswerID: 479380

Reply By: didjabringabeer - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 10:53

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 10:53
Hi. Have look at Goldstream. Well built, Don't how price compairs.
AnswerID: 479393

Follow Up By: ozjohn0 - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 12:48

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 12:48
They're somewhat dearer, but definately a better unit.
OJ
FollowupID: 754876

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 17:39

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 17:39
Thanks for all your replys and inputs,
I am aware that both have their limitations and will be driven accordingly, I will check out goldstream later

thanks again
Shane
AnswerID: 479450

Reply By: Member - John E10 - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 12:19

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 12:19
I upgraded from a 2004 Jyaco Hawk to a new Coromal F400 with 16 " wheels and off road hitch etc. My experience was that many bits of the Jayco shook loose on gravel roads which you would not call outback roads. An older 1980's Jayco I used for outback travel did quite well but my view is that the newer ones are less robust . If you are going any where near the real outback I would choose the Coromal.
AnswerID: 479608

Follow Up By: Off-track - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 16:02

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 16:02
I think from 2005 the Jayco went to an aluminium frame and more screws, less staples. Not sure if this has proved to be stronger though.
FollowupID: 755097

Follow Up By: Member - John E10 - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 16:26

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 16:26
Mine had the aluminum frame. The issue was the corner joiners snapping and cupboard fittings and screws coming loose. Also the screws holding the bed slides needed constant check and retightening.

I did the trip to Lawn Hill in 1995 in the old jayco which had also rubber suspension. It did ok except for one sheared electric brake magnet and stone damage. Internally it kept together. This was A timber frame model. I would not have done that road in the 2004 Jayco.

The key thing is the suspension. Jayco use a beam axle. Independent suspension is much better for ride and ground clearance. BTW it is hard to buy a second hand Coromal b/c they are good and people hand on to them.

Cheers
FollowupID: 755099

Reply By: Kylie A - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 16:04

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 16:04
We have a Jayco Swan Outback. Took it to Darwin, Ayers, Kakadu the lot. Towed it behind the Prado. Brilliant trip.
We had it serviced before we left.
The layout and offroad was the reason we chose Jayco over Coromal.
Being a family of 6, the space, storage, microwave and bedding made it perfect for us.
The money that you would save, divided over the years or the trips, is it going to make you happier or better off?
Weigh up what is most important to you ie layout, quality, features etc then make your choice.
AnswerID: 479759

Sponsored Links