Would like some advice on a tow vehicle - 200 series

Hi all

I have madly been reading through all the threads because I have the chance to purchase a 200 series LC which I think is a reasonable deal.
I have read that a lot of people say not to ask for car advice here - but I am a single woman who has just bought a 24.6ft caravan and will be taking off as soon as I am able (ie after purchase of 4WD) I would just appreciate some thoughts from experienced people to calm my nerves somewhat!!!
So, I have been offered a 200 series v8 turbo diesel with 70000klm on the clock, 2009 model for 70K (I'm in WA if that makes a difference to prices). I have been reading all I can over the weekend and read about these oil problems. I see people are saying they were pre 2009 - was there a certain month that cut out and was rectified? I'm of course going to get an RAC inspection - i'm not sure that particular problem could be picked up if it was affecting that car though?! So, do you's think that is a reasonable sort of price and is there anything in particular I should be on the look out for?
Thanks guys

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 17:46

Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 17:46
I dont know anything about 200 series Toyota but a 2 to 2 1/2 year old vehicle sounds expensive to me. I think they are about $80 grand new.... 70,000 is not a lot of ks but its not much less than the new price. Others who know more than me about the 200 series may have a different view!! What about a 100 series for about half that, they have an excellent trouble free diesel engine?? !! Regards Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 479549

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 08:44

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 08:44
And a 2006 100 series with 100,000k on the clock for $63,000 isn't?

Toyota 100 series turbo diesels are holding their price very well if not for all the wrong reasons....... 2003-2004 your still looking at high $30,000 to $40,000 most with 150,000k plus.

2008 200 series are fetching mid to high $60,000.

One thing to remember Grubby is in WA.

Look at 2009 Patrols..... the are selling for low to mid $40,000 secondhand..... when new they were only low $50's, we got offered a new one for $48,000 drive away at their end of year clearance.
FollowupID: 755051

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 16:39

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 16:39
That might be an advertised price but are they selling?? I guess as long as everyone is happy and money is no object, Go for it.. I would buy a new 200 for the small difference.. yes there is stamp duty and the like... Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 755100

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 18:35

Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 18:35
A 24.6 ft van is a lot of van and the real issue you have to address is can the tow vehicle easily tow the van. Do you know the weight of the van?

I have a 19ft van and is towed by a 200 series. It is only just under the legal tow limits for the 200 series. 200 have tow limit of 3500kg. Your 24.6 ft van must be close to that when loaded with gear, gas, water etc.

A look at the Lcool site may help you understand the 200series.Lcool site

I now have 100k on my 200 series without any problems. It uses some oil but doesn't need topup between oil changes.

Safe travelling

Alan
AnswerID: 479561

Follow Up By: Member - Carl- Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 08:55

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 08:55
I have to agree with alot of what Alan is saying. 24.5 is certainly a big van for a man and without wanting to appear sexist, a very big van for a woman to tow. It is not just towing on the Kwinana Freeway but passing a triple road train doing 90 on the north west coastal hy (one lane each way) in the middle of a rain storm. Then you have to back it into a caravan site etc etc.

You did not mention any more about why you got such a big van, so we all assume that you have an excellent reason. Weight would be OK. Assuming it is a road van and not Bushtracker etc, then ATM should be about 2100kg.

I would go for a 2005 or later (LED tail lights) 100 series. Super proven engine and transmittion and you have no risk of getting an oil burner. RAC check will not pick this up anyway. It certainly will be much cheaper than the $70 you mentioned. There are some incredibly well looked after 100's around but they are rare.
FollowupID: 755054

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 21:29

Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 21:29
Hi.

I have a 3.5 yr old LC200 and love it. I don't use it to tow anything bigger than my 2t boat, but it does that with ease.

I 2nd the LCOOL search. I believe the oil consumption issue was dealt with a couple of years ago. I had the problem but it was completely fixed under warrany; I would guess your possible vehicle would be the same if it had the problem (not all did).

More importantly, there are worrying reports of a very expensive ($5k) power steering failure at around the 50-100k mark coming up. If you are serious about this buy, chk out the relevant LCOOL thread, and have someone inspect the vehicle before you buy. I had the PS failure but luckily had extended my warranty to 6 yrs, so it was fixed under that.

I'd also be doing a sanity chk on that price.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 479576

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 00:18

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 00:18
You won't do better than a 200 series as a tow vehicle, but then I am biased - with good reason :) If the 200 cannot tow it, nothing short of a truck can. The 3,500kg tow rating and 350kg ball rating is as good as it gets for these type of vehicles.

While any vehicle has the odd issue, the 200 has very few and those that do exist are generally well looked after by Toyota. You will get the odd brothers, mothers aunty who has a 200 with some big issue, but the reality is they are a very reliable vehicle. Mine had the oil issue, but was fixed with the vacuum pump mod under warranty.

The $70K is pretty steep for a stock GXL with 70,000kms. But the $70K could be justified depending what extras, like KDSS, roo bar, drawer systems etc... If stock standard with no extras, look around as you should be able to pick one up for mid $60K, there are now a lot appearing on the market as the 3 year lease life comes around.

If you don't want the creature comforts, you can get a brand new GX (new base model) for only ~$72K - if you bargain hard.

If travelling around, you may want to consider things like roo bars, cargo barriers and drawer systems. Not strictly necessary, but certainly make life easier and safer when touring.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 479592

Reply By: richard cee - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 00:55

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 00:55
Generally agree with what Captain and John have said, great car and tow vehicle.

A question you need to advise is what is the caravan's ATM weight, total all up packed weight as this will help in the answers. Also is this the dealers or private sale price, service history etc. If dealer serviced then get Rego and Vin No. and a call or visit to the Dealer should be able to extract any service/ repair issues.

Hope this info assists, regards Richie.
AnswerID: 479594

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 06:53

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 06:53
Great tow vehicle, great to drive, great off road.

Tow capacity is 3500kg which is the legal limit, and 350kg on the towbar.

Update come in about August 2009, but don't let that worry you. Mine is Jan 08 and doesn't use oil.

AnswerID: 479597

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 08:44

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 08:44
Grubby,
There is no doubt that the 200 is a great tow vehcile provided it is setup correctly for your van. My concern is that you have a big van and by the sound do not have much experience in towing. Pulling and manoevering a van of that size takes some doing and I would do a training course if you do not have experience.

Second I would find out what the relevant total and ball weight is for your van and check that against the manufacturers specs for the vehicle you are considering. Don't forget you need to add extra for what you load into the van and vehicle which must include everything plus fuel and water. If you exceed the specs then legally you are in trouble with insurance and also safety will be an issue.

Take a little time and check things out. Make sure you get advice from people who really know not just friends and relations. Go for a few short trips before you start the big trip so you can sort out issues easily at home base.

I am not trying to put you off. I am sure you will have a great time, just don't rush and make mistakes - we all have.

cheers
AnswerID: 479600

Reply By: Member - John S1 (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 12:02

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 12:02
Hi grubby

I tow a 24.6 Coromal with a 200 series Turbo Diesel.

It is a big rig to tow I brought the 200 series by trading in a 100 series T/D No comparisons with these units The 200 series is far superior The 200 diesel retail in Perth for just under $100K new

I too live in Perth <if you would like any info please E mail to martock@iinet.net.au.I would be happy to meet with you and explain a few things.

Yes the rig is sometimes a challenge ,but do not be put off by the knockers. You will enjoy the experience greatly
AnswerID: 479607

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 16:45

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 16:45
With the price of the Australian dollar at the moment, the 200 series should be about $65 grand, Toyota knows there is no japanese rival so up goes the price.
Personally i think the 200 is way overpriced but if they are getting sufficient sales, there would be no reason to drop the price. If sales slumped to zero, what would toyota drop their price to, just to turn over vehicles? Michael.

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 755101

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 17:06

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 17:06
I have never seen car ( or tire for that matter) prices fluctuate based on exchange rates. I am sure there must be a price set in a currency and then have currency exchange insurance or something. Likewise we won't see car prices increase by 25% if the Oz $ drops to $0.75 to the US$
FollowupID: 755104

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 22:26

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 22:26
G'day Michael,

I'm not sure that the exchange rate factors greatly in the price we pay. A few years ago the local paper had a breakdown on the various cost components of a $25,000 motor vehicle, the one that really stood out for me was that the landed costs was only about $6,000 with the rest being Australian taxes and profits.

Kind regards

Theo
FollowupID: 755146

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 23:05

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 23:05
Yes i know all that, its theoretical... I realise the car companies take the good with the bad, but you cant disagree, the exchange rate either costs more or less depending on where the dollar is. At the moment someone os making a killing, Michael.

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 755151

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 09:28

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 09:28
I agree 100% that the strengthening aussie $ has not resulted in a like drop in prices of imported goods. Only 18 months ago I went to Europe and could only manage 48 euros for my $100 but today I would get closer to 80. It's not quite twice as much but my italian made coffee machine has not dropped by that sort of value. The story probably isn't as bad for the US$ but don't get me started on that and the price of fuel hahahaha.
FollowupID: 755169

Reply By: Grubby - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 02:21

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 02:21
Hi guys

Thanks so much for all your responses – and sorry it took me a while to get back here – I am staying with a friend until I take delivery of the van later this week so I am not on the computer much at the moment.
I have been looking around on carsales.com.au and most other 200s seem to be between $75-87K for same year/mileage. I am not sure if this is the best sanity check to compare prices or not. Seems to be a bench mark website to me though at this point.
I have joined the LCOOL site and was waiting for my membership to be approved and that was today sometime I notice – so I will go and have a bit of a look around there also now I have the computer out.
My reasoning on a big van is I will be living in it forever – not just a month or so jaunt when I feel like getting away from home. I towed a 22ft and 26ft van around Australia from when I was 17 until 22 years of age (alone) and have driven triple road trains and think this can only of gotten easier, not harder with all the technology available now (reversing camera’s etc) (Oh and after driving the Kwinana ‘bush track’ today – nothing could be harder than that MESS lol.!!!) It is an off road van.
I kinda like 100 series too. My reasoning with the 200 was just to get the best vehicle I can get that will not give me drama’s – ie as late model as possible. Patrol’s were my first line of thought as I had a wonderful Nissan sedan since 2000 that never gave me an ounce of trouble ever in that 12 years. I have heard some bad things of them of late though. ?
I have spoken with the guy today again – and he said it is on ‘oil watch’ with Toyota – so maybe I am not so keen on it now anyways – I won’t be rushing this – as I don’t really have to be anywhere in particular – which is good and let’s face it – there is a lot of 4WDs out there. Accordingly it is ‘late 09’. I do still have to look into this a lot more – and I haven’t even driven it as yet – because it is a way away from me atm – I might do that on Thursday I think.
I’m not sure about exchange rates etc – but in looking at some old posts on EO – it does seem they (new)have gone up significantly since 2008 – but I would of thought the earthquake and GFE would of had a bit to do with that. But I really don’t care about that stuff – because there is nothing much anyone can do about it.
Will certainly drop you an email John S1. Thanks for the offer there – I can use all the assistance I can get wrt vehicles – I hate them LOL and wish my push-bike could tow it ?
So thanks again for your assistance guys – this is just the beginning of my vehicle journey. The rest of it will follow. ?

AnswerID: 479709

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 18:52

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 18:52
My only comment about the 200 series is that the latest technology, always costs a heap if something goes wrong.. If you feel you can afford to spend say $15,000 or $20,000 if 2 major things were to go wrong in a year or two,(assuming its out of warranty), then the 200 would be ok. 100 series diesel powered vehicles, which are an excellent machine, would be cheaper to maintain and service and may prove to be better choice. Just something to think about.. Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 755205

Follow Up By: Grubby - Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 01:54

Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 01:54
I am for sure considering everything carefully Michael. Thanks for your responses. I hate car purchases lol.

Rob

FollowupID: 755404

Reply By: Member - Glenys & Ken Taree - Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 00:12

Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 00:12
We have a 200 series v8 petrol, its a great vehicle for towing, our van is about 24 ft.
however, i'm sure you can buy a new 200 series v8 petrol for around the 70 K mark. Check with your local Toyota dealer. From my understanding the early 200 diesel models did have an oil burning problem.
See you on the road
Ken
AnswerID: 479932

Follow Up By: Grubby - Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 01:52

Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 01:52
Hiya

Thanks for the response. I towed the van down today with it - it seemed to be quite nice - watched the fuel zoom down tho (but I guess it was essentially city driving. towing in a V8).
It was down in oil a bit when I started off. I also noticed it pulled to the left - despite new tyres (which I would of thought it would of got a wheel alignment with that tyre change). So still not convinced. However, regarding the price - I am not seeing cheaper here. A car yard called me with two of them around the 70K mark but with 120000klm on the clock and 2008 models. Hmmmmmm, this is gunna be hard for me - way more stress than the van purchase!!!
Yes, hope to see you out there too!! I am so excited right now - this van is awesome - first night out tho!!!:-)

Rob

FollowupID: 755403

Reply By: Member - Glenys & Ken Taree - Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 10:21

Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 10:21
Just for your interest, here's one with all the extras....
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/toyota-landcruiser-2010-12101159

AnswerID: 479947

Sponsored Links