2 Roads in the GV Desert that I didn't know about

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 23:38
ThreadID: 92374 Views:3374 Replies:8 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

Forgive me if this is old news.
I have just come back from a long weekender from the Great Victoria Desert.

I was expecting to use the Nippon Highway from Pinjin to Argus Corner to take me to the spring. Last time I went this way over 5 years ago the Nippon Highway was a bush track. It probably still is in places.

From just south of Pinjin to the PNG Baseline Road there is a good mining access road. This I followed all the way to the baseline road as even though I could have followed the old track I was interested as to where it went. It varied from one of the most smooth wide gravel roads I have ever driven on to a good gravel track.

Image Could Not Be Found

At the baseline road this road kept on going just north of east, however I turned down the baseline road which was the usual standard bush track in this area. The was some plant; pumps etc at the intersection and a small sign saying "No Entry Construction Site" where I was headed. I've been around the traps long enough to realise this was a decoy sign so took no notice.

Moving forward a day and a half now - Where the main graded track to Tjuntjuntjarra heading south leaves the Connie Sue Highway as depicted in this picture:

Image Could Not Be Found

This graded track eventually makes it way to the Cable Haul Road then terminates - or so I thought!!!!! All my maps say it terminates (maybe not so the latest Hema??) - however, it does not. It continues round about south westerly and terminates near Kitchener on the railway line. It it a good track all the way.

Image Could Not Be Found

Hope the info was help to someone, here's 3 unrelated pictures from the sojourn.

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The other Norm C (WA) - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 00:25

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 00:25
Thanks for the info Allan.
I'm seriously thinking of heading to Queen Victoria spring
at Easter and possibly up to Rason Lake Road on to Laverton
The roads you mention should make easy going of it
Norm
AnswerID: 479830

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 18:31

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 18:31
Have a good time Norm, as Phil says there is probably a few more tracks around too!!!

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 755352

Reply By: Dave(NSW) - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 00:45

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 00:45
Alan,
You wouldn't happen to have any recent photos of Kitchener, I spent 18 months there working for the railways replaceing wooden sleepers with concrete ones back in the late 70s.
Cheers Dave.
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 479832

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 10:19

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 10:19
Sorry Dave - I drove right past, was short of time.

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 755298

Reply By: get outmore - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 05:10

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 05:10
Can you drive to Strich mound now?

loast time i was there the track down the hill where i reckon your seconfd pic was take was blocked of by a CALM sighn saying due to dune damage you had to walk the rest of the way

you didnt use that side track I gave you info on a while back did you? telegraph track that takes you past yowie rock hole and Gilgarna rock hole as well as can be used to access Hunts pinnacles before joing back up to the Kurnalpi pinjin road just south of pinjin
AnswerID: 479836

Follow Up By: get outmore - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 05:18

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 05:18
And did you pull into Lake Boondaroo on the way past? wondering if it still has water. Truly an amazing story about how it went from clapan to inland see - the evidence of its sheer size can be seen by the dead trees
FollowupID: 755284

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 10:24

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 10:24
The track is very well formed to the mound now - if you had to walk, it would be a very long one.

I didn't go off the main drag around Yowie - I did come up through Bulong this time though.

Lake Boonderoo was in my sights - I even studied it on Google Earth - there is a track going right around - I ran out of time though so didn't visit.

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 755301

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 09:00

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 09:00
Hi Alan

Sounds like you have a great drive. Are you going to do another great Blog with lots more tempting images??

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 479845

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 18:33

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 18:33
Hi Stephen,

Yes thanks had a good drive.
No blog I think, not enough content.
I have a few pictures of the dog, some black boys and some trees - that's about it.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 755353

Reply By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 09:18

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 09:18
Hi Alan

Thanks for giving us an update on your travels.

Some interesting road finds out there. There's that much Geo exploration activity I wouldn't be surprised that more don't pop up in the near future.

Shame about QVS - last Easter we also found it dry.

cheers
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 479847

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 18:35

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 18:35
Hi Phil,

One day I will find water there, last time I went in 2006 in was dry as well. There's a good picture on the net showing it with quite a bit of water in it, so it does happen.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 755354

Reply By: Member - Michael J (SA) - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 10:38

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 10:38
Good morning Al,

Sounds like an interesting weekend. The 'Fair Maid' is earning her keep these days.

Has there been much rain in the area of late? I'm guessing that it would take a
heap to keep springs like Queen Victoria, and the others in the area, full for any
length of time.

" a small sign saying "No Entry Construction Site" where I was headed. I've been around the traps long enough to realise this was a decoy sign so took no notice."

Spoken like a true GDEC member;))

Always the master of the understatement.....LOL LOL
Just love your work.

Cheers
MJ
AnswerID: 479864

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 18:44

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 18:44
Hi MJ,

The whole trip I only went through a couple of puddles just south of Plumridge Lakes, so the area is pretty dry.

The Fair Maid is almost due for an overhaul that's for sure.....
..and the GDEC flag must be flown at every opportunity!!!!

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 755357

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 21:29

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 21:29
Gday Alan,
I've taken a bit of interest in the mining exploration thats been happening in the GVD. In case you haven't been there, check out The Ponton project from Manhattan corporation:
Website
2011 presentation2010 presentation

Cheers
phil
AnswerID: 479922

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 21:44

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 21:44
Hi Phil,

Wow, a lot of activity in the region - and the best deposit is within the Nature Reserve. Interesting - may have to buy some shares :)

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 755390

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 21:50

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 21:50
Hehe
Share price is 32c and heading down!
Suggests that things might not be as rosy as it would appear from their presentations.
Petroleum exploration on our side of the border is not looking promising either.

Big problem with mining is that it sucks massive volumes of water - Queen Vic Springs is 20km away. Good chance you'll not see water in it again.
FollowupID: 755392

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 21:58

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 21:58
Also, lots of mining exploration goes on in conservation parks, national parks, nature reserves, regional reserves etc.
Good thing about Mamungari (formerly Unnamed Conservation Park) is that it is a UNESCO protected zone - no mining exploration allowed. But lots of mining tracks just outside its borders on Google earth!
FollowupID: 755394

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Sunday, Mar 11, 2012 at 17:32

Sunday, Mar 11, 2012 at 17:32
Has anyone ever actually seen water in Queen Victoria Springs? Easter last year it was a muddy puddle about 2 m across and about 250mm deep. Last time I was there in around 06 or 07 it was completely dry and we dug for 2 or 3 fee without even getting damp sand.

I reckon Ernest Giles was absolutely dead lucky in 1875 when it was a little lake amongst the dunes and that no-one has ever seen it like that again. Certainly none of the many Aboriginal people that I know regard it as a reliable water source!

FollowupID: 755607

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Mar 11, 2012 at 17:42

Sunday, Mar 11, 2012 at 17:42
Hi Paul,

Here is the best photo I can get of it from the net (Bonzle c.2010)

Whatever the case it has changed since Giles and Lindsay were there. The vegetation has now come right to the edges of the claypan.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 755612

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Sunday, Mar 11, 2012 at 17:37

Sunday, Mar 11, 2012 at 17:37
These new roads you refer to Alan exist as supply lines to the Tropicana Gold project out a bit west of Plumridge Lakes Nature Reserve.
AnswerID: 480096

Sponsored Links