Can you understand the youth of today or is it just my memory.

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 09:40
ThreadID: 92380 Views:3502 Replies:15 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
Well its finally happening my much loved manual 4800 Patrol is slowly leaving the premises after 250,000km plus kms in which its carried me on adventures everywhere from 2-200kmh on every track I can think of and apart from a hesitant starter motor all other issues its had have been user induced.

We I got this car, in straight away blew its engine when its timing chain bolts
were not tightened - a changeover motor was air freighted out from a very embarrassed Nissan Japan and all was sweet , however I then resolved to never take this car in for servicing from new to now, 10 years latter and am doing the same with its auto 4800 Patrol replacement.

I have never owned such a capable and reliable car but will this change ?

After much badgering some young adults (known to us) now own the car, however their way of doing things I find hard to follow - or am I just being to protective ?

The young adults had a D4D Prado Grande and on trips away with them it keep breaking and more than once the Patrol rescued it had got them thinking.

Within a few minutes of selling the Patrol a piece of green masking tape appeared across the top of the windscreen reading "PartyRol" and I had my first misgivings.

As the new owners were friends (of our kids mainly)
I didn't worry when the car didn't leave our drive for a few days.

It apparently needed modifications but it already had every traction aid I could think and then I saw them ripping out the radio and rear door skin and I understood.

It lacked a dirty big sub woofer ! and 800watt amp - silly me !

All was installed, in a manner which was sacrilege to an electronics engineer like me.
8mm square wiring was installed by running in across the door opening instead of making a hole thru firewall and so on etc.

Ok its all done and its 9pm Saturday evening - test drive needed of course - so of they head to our bush property while I head off to bed - its now 1 am in the morning and they head into a rain soaked gully loosing control slewing sideways and only coming to a rest where no amount of diff locks will extract one from.

It must be time to learn how to use the winch with darkness and mud everywhere.

They drag out the winch line wrapping the synthetic rope around a tree and hooking the end back over the rope ( I would have cringed ), apparently there was no time to drag out the extension strap and shackles I had insisted go with the car - but to give credit after an hour long battle and 3 winches they were out at 2am.

More mods are needed - another session takes place - out they go for a test drive.

There are still places in Melbournes eastern suburbs where you can find a bog hole and guess what dad - we are bogged again , but a quick winch and we are out , next time we might even lock the hubs

2 winch rescues in 5 days , and never even 1 psi let out of the tyres!

So then I find out that the the reason the car is still at our place is that they haven't found the right time to reveal to their parents that they dumped the Prado and brought my Patrol.

The car sits at our place - paid for - but covered in mud and war injuries.

My question is, is this just the youth of today or should I buy a wheel clamp
and clamp the wheels before the car dies ?
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 09:59

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 09:59
I guess Robin unfortunately there are a lot of kids that just don't get the training good 4wders give to their kids which takes time. Our kids are lucky they have grown up with 4wding camping trips.
These young adults may not have had that luxury, they befriend kids that have the experience and been trained to respect their vehicle and the environment not taking any notice of that, go away with with them, they see only the fun side of things grow up get their licence and off they go. We have our 80 for sale but are reluctant to sell it to some one that will trash it. We are thinking of just keeping it for our eldest 13years that grew up with the vehicle.
Sharon
AnswerID: 479852

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 10:05

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 10:05
Might sound silly but the same goes with the camper we have for sale as we have gotten lazy and bought a caravan. It cost us a lot of hard earned money for a good quality product. If were going to get some one that doesn't see the value and try to get it for nothing im thinking of just keeping it for our kids. They love bush camping so we know it will be appreciated.
Cheers
FollowupID: 755295

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 10:58

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 10:58
You may be right OldGirl , but I suspect I am being a little protective knowing what we have been threw with that car , at every chance I got I tried to find something better and failed and its just old age thats making my opt for the new car.

If you tried to keep your 80 series for several years that might cost a fair be - I guess thats an equation you have to work out.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 755305

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 14:47

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 14:47
Like button.
FollowupID: 755335

Reply By: Member - allan t (NT) - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 09:59

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 09:59
Hi Robin
Just getting old mate
AnswerID: 479853

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 11:01

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 11:01
Hi Allan

I guess so - I guess we could both recall stories we'd be shot for today !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 755307

Reply By: Member - Des Lexic - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 10:01

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 10:01
G'day Robin, Your a man of great common sense and relinquishing control of the Patrol was always going to be a hard thing to do. (They almost become a member of the family) When our kids grow up and stop being kids, we have taught them how they should lead their lives and hopefully, given them a good grounding for their future.
Sometimes we just have to let them make a few mistakes and suffer the consequences of their actions. I know that these people aren't your kids, but now that they have purchased the vehicle from you, they can do what they like with it and you may regret selling them the car, but, had it gone elsewhere, you would have no knowledge of what is happening with it and not had the pains of seeing what is happening to your beloved Patrol.
(I know that you already knew that but sometimes we just need a gentle reminder.) LOL
AnswerID: 479854

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 19:55

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 19:55
I now your right Des , but it still hurts
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 755362

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 10:08

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 10:08
Robin, try really, realllly hard to recall your youth time. Then reassess your misgivings expressed above. One thing that comes with the sagacity of maturity is the inability to remember the Getting of Wisdom LOL

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 479856

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:01

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:01
Yep , the getting of wisdom - that was a book we had to study when I was doing matriculation Allan - did you have that one also ?
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 755367

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 22:49

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 22:49
Yes Robin, by Henry Richardson as I recall. In Matric.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 755399

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 07:25

Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 07:25
Luv a duck - I still have my copy - Henry Handel Richardson printed 1964 - I never would have remembered the name Allan.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 755405

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 09:28

Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 09:28
Published much earlier than 1964 though Robin. I read it some years earlier so I guess that you are one of the New Boys. lol. Fancy still having your copy.

Thought it a bit of a chore at the time but there was something to learn from it.
Henry Richardson was a pseudonym of a female author. Had I known that at the time I may have been even less impressed.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 755421

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 10:17

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 10:17
I know where you are coming from Robin. But mate, I think we are just getting old!!!

I think back to my first 4WD and what we used to do and it makes me cringe. But you learn more from your mistakes than from getting it right, sometimes just by dumb luck. Even if shown how to do something, doing it wrong and then learning from your mistakes leaves a much longer lasting impression. I bet they now know why you should lock your hubs BEFORE you need 4WD! Doesn't matter how many tomes you tell em.Give them ~20 years and they too will be cringing at how their kids handle a 4WD.

Experience, its something you cannot buy.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 479858

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:05

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:05
It sures is something you can't buy Captain , but it would be good if some learnt the lesson the first time round !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 755369

Reply By: old mate - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 10:26

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 10:26
But you're enjoying the cash they gave you for the vehicle?
AnswerID: 479861

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:03

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:03
But it just pieces of paper old mate - but your right, I guess it will turn into bits for my other 4800 Patrol.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 755368

Reply By: Stevesub1 - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 10:38

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 10:38
At least they are out there getting dirty and not getting into other more serious trouble with the law as youngies are prone to do these days.
AnswerID: 479865

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:23

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:23
That is indeed both correct in this case and why I persist in encouraging some to drive around our place without a heavy hand Steve.

I believe it does work and its far better to bend a few panels this way than a local street drag - 4wding is inherrantly a safer pastime for them than tearing around in turbo VL commodres.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 755377

Reply By: TerraFirma - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 11:34

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 11:34
You are getting old Robin and yes you need to let go. You aren't supposed to become attached to a vehicle especially when a new one is always around the corner. Talking about new Patrols will the all new monster ever make it to Australia. When will Nissan replace the 3.0 Litre diesel? Questions Questions..
AnswerID: 479870

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:08

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:08
Heard some exciting rumours on that front Terra - but the new one is even bigger than a 200 series and on my desirable attributes list for new cars the 200 got marked down a point already for size.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 755371

Reply By: member - mazcan - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 13:07

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 13:07
hi robin
time to close your eyes and ears as to how and what is now happening to your ex beloved patrol and move on mate
otherwise you'll get ulcers worring about it
i think the problem in your case is you are seeing what and how they disrepect it detach your self mentally from it
if you have been fully paid and the change of ownership is in totall complete.
yes its an age and controll problem of people around your age cut the umbilicle cord
its not your baby anymore they will do it their way whether you like it or not

the only problem is that it is still been left on your property where you can see too much
ask them to come clean with there parents and man up and face realitys of life and move it
and take the vehicle away that will allow you to move on -out of sight out of mind -- and what you dont know wont hurt anymore
let go and move on your not the only person this has happened too and you wont be the last
its part of the generation gap --been there done that
enjoy the future by moving on over the next mountain where the grass may be greener
cheers barry
AnswerID: 479880

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:11

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:11
Its so hard though Barry - my new Patrol came with 5kw less power than the old one but you can breath its exhaust a bit longer.

At least I took the Unichip out of the old one - so there is hope !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 755372

Reply By: Axle - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 13:14

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 13:14
G/Day Robin,.. Sounds like my Son inlaw, Should never be let near anything with wheels on it!!...Talk about Destroy vehicles,.Every year we have a big clean up of all the dead ones in the back yard,..Bloody Criminal.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 479882

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:13

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:13
The new owner said he was determined to learn and come on some trips Axle , but perhaps like your son in law patience and a feel for mechanical things can be hard to aquire.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 755374

Reply By: Angie M - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 14:12

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 14:12
I think your old friend is about to meet its end....

I am not that old and just got my first 4x4, I am studying the Handbook, Booking her in to get any slight repairs seen to and I have every intention of looking after her...mind you I don't plan on heavy 4wheeling anyway, I couldn't handle destroying my dream.

SO we aren't all the same, but these particulars seem to be inexperienced and your vehicle looks like it will be their learning horse.

I'd start making her funeral arrangements now!
AnswerID: 479889

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:15

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:15
I suspect your right Angie - good thing though is that they will have a go and fixing anything - maybe thats not a good thing !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 755375

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 17:33

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 17:33
Hi Robin, loved your story and yes, I do sympathise with you. The biggest problem is the fact that you still have it in your back/ front yard. I was wondering, do you know the parents, if so a 'foot in mouth' statement could put an end to it all, something like...."the boys are really enjoying their new 4x4" oops didn't you know??????? Just a thought.

There's a few thoughtful and sensitive posters on here too...not. :) :) :)

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 479903

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:19

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:19
Would you believe I left some parts out to limit the pain for some Dunworkin.

Maybe I should take up your suggestion , now that the cheque has cleared !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 755376

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 18:37

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 18:37
Gday Robin
I think you should have a sit down , a nice glass of vegetarian wine and a pasty.
As my little grand daughter would say 'belax, settle '

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 479907

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 19:57

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 19:57
One of the blessings of life is that wine is generally vegatarin Muz (to late to spell check this I packing the other 4800 for an extended long weekend.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 755363

Reply By: Mark R - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 19:48

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 19:48
Robin, there are those who appreciate and those who don't! Many years ago I was lucky enough to own in sequence a Cooper S, XU1 and A9X - all treated with much TLC, all highly modified, all raced in club racing with much success without a scratch and all, within 3 weeks of sale, written off in quite serious accidents on the road....it'd make ya cry. Luckily the full cages and full harness belts saved the lives of the culprits. What can you do? Once they are gone, they are gone.

Wish I'd kept them - worth a fortune now.
AnswerID: 479915

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:00

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:00
They were great vehicles Mark - hey you weren't like me were you , and put the full harness back on when near home so the girl next door would take a second look !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 755366

Reply By: Grizzle - Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 15:56

Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 15:56
Close your eyes and look the other way Robin!!

My son was brought up camping and 4wdriving and taught to respect cars and equipment, still trashed his car twice!!!

But he does look after his swag!

(and he is studying to be an Electrical Engineer!!)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 479973

Sponsored Links