Filling Grease Guns

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 15:47
ThreadID: 92388 Views:2729 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I came across an old thread about how some guys fill grease guns.
My method was not among the suggested methods so I'll share it with you.
I now have a Mcnaught, I have had others but the method is the same.
I use castrol MLL and it is messy.
I buy in 5kg containers with parallel sides.
Cut a three ply disc to fit very neatly to the inside diameter of the container it must be neat.
Cut with a hole saw a hole that corresponds closely with the size of your gun storage tube.
Place the disc on top of the grease and while using gentle pressure to keep in contact with the disc withdraw the gun plunger. A sausage of grease will fill the gun and then click the plunger to one side and remove the gun. Pulling the gun to one side will cut the grease in the pot flush with the ply disc ready for the next fill.
Stan
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 17:04

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 17:04
Hi Stan, Good tip.

Did you know that once upon a time grease containers were supplied already fitted with a metal disc with hole for filling guns just as you describe?

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 479899

Reply By: Axle - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 19:05

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 19:05
Hi Pinko,..Yeah good idea,....unless the plunger decides to let go and then you have a grease sling shot!,...Lol how many times i've loaded a cartridge ,and just as about to scew the head on and bang the plunger lets go,Talk about curse!...all good fun.

cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 479909

Follow Up By: Ross M - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:29

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:29
18 months ago I was on an outback station and on one very cold morning the station owner said just after filling the grease gun, "if you want an easy future life come back as a grease gun, they never work".
FollowupID: 755378

Reply By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:47

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:47
Hi Pinko,

Dont forget to smooth over the top of the grease to stop bleeding.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 479920

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 22:24

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 22:24
Stan,

No doubt the 5kg bulk tins are cheaper, but for mine, you can't beat a nice, clean cartridge, for filling grease guns!!!

Had 6 years doing earthmoving work, back in the '80's, and I used to get dirty enough, so the wife says, without resorting to anything other than cartridges. We were going 24 hrs/day, so were greasing morning and evening. Also, cartridges reduced the risk of contamination, at any time..........unless someone knocked the caps off, in the carton.

Talking about grease guns not getting much use, worked with a bloke who always kept his grease gun clean, and he'd store it in a 20 litre flour drum, with press-fit lid. Was always clean, and only greasy on the inside. And he did use it.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 479927

Follow Up By: blown4by - Saturday, Mar 10, 2012 at 17:19

Saturday, Mar 10, 2012 at 17:19
I argee.......cartridges are the best..........xxxx the rest.
FollowupID: 755555

Sponsored Links