Wet Season Kakadu video: Magela Creek

Old footage from crossing the Magela in Kakadu. Transformed from a dry road for 8 months of the year to a major creek for the rest.

Landcruiser crossing Magela Creek in Kakadu National Park - YouTube
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 15:22

Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 15:22
where did you find that or were you just "surfing" ..... we were working there at the time, the car is one of the old tour 4wds that Cooinda used or at least parts of it, i knew greg well, fantastic person awsome photos and as you can see videos ......
Wow brings back memorys
AnswerID: 479972

Follow Up By: kevmac....(WA) - Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 18:18

Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 18:18
Definitely wouldnt want to stall !
FollowupID: 755466

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 21:57

Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 21:57
you could see Barra swiming in 8 inches of water, big barra to i may add and the water was clear ....
FollowupID: 755489

Follow Up By: cruiserhj47 - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 14:34

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 14:34
Hi Joe and Mel

that's a surprise to find you here! Last I heard you were somewhere in the Kimberley!

The video s just some old footage I had and i thought I would put up. Ah the good old days in the cruiser. The cruiser was mine but it had a couple of small parts from the wrecked old cooinda cruisers.

Like your signature "livin n wurkin where others are bustin to visit". I'm stuck in Melbourne, may as well be in jail!

Kids must be almost grown up now, hope all is well, cheers Greg
FollowupID: 755821

Reply By: Member - bill f (QLD) - Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 19:26

Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 19:26
Hi, Brings back memories. Fishing at the crossing early in the wet 1982. Nobody crossing the creek. Nowhere to go. Only a few high spots before Cahill"s Crossing. Loud constant revving & along comes an old EH holden with trailer in tow. Straight into the crossing & the water was level with the windows. Man, woman, 3 kids & a dog. Pulled up. Let the water out. Had a good shake & went on their way. Left us all shaking our heads as the road had been closed for days. Bill
AnswerID: 479991

Reply By: member - mazcan - Sunday, Mar 11, 2012 at 14:46

Sunday, Mar 11, 2012 at 14:46
hi cruiserhj47
just tried to watch the youtube video re - kakadu but it runs for 10-15 seconds then pauses intermittantly this seems to happen to a lot of videos when i try and view them
is this the case for everyone or is it just me and something im not doing right or is so no one can copy them
cheers
AnswerID: 480084

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 07:59

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 07:59
Mazcan,

Intermittent stopping during a big download is usually due to insufficient download speed. Your computer downloads enough to get started but runs out of material and has to wait for another segment to arrive...... then you get a few more seconds and wait again.... If you have the patience you can let it all download then "replay" once it's all arrived.

There's a good speed test here. Hit "retest" and check how your feed stacks up against other typical systems.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 755649

Reply By: Gramps - Sunday, Mar 11, 2012 at 23:01

Sunday, Mar 11, 2012 at 23:01
Lucky he was'nt booked for crossing the double-yellows in the S-bends there :)
AnswerID: 480124

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 08:16

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 08:16
Not something to do unless you really know what you are doing, as this driver obviously did. What I can't figure is that there seems to be no snorkel to get the air intake above the water, and there seems to be nothing to stop water getting to the radiator and fan. Still, Troopies can handle most things!

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 480134

Follow Up By: cruiserhj47 - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 14:46

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 14:46
Yes there is an a snorkel running up the passenger side of the vehicle. You can clearly see the green pipe with the donaldson precleaner at the top in the first crossing with the vehicle coming towards you. I wouldn't attempt a long crossing without a snorkel and this crossing is passable when it gets deeper. This was at .7m at the first crossing, but have been through there at 1.1 and it's deeper at the s-bends.

No tarp to stop water. I used to worry about this but seems more of a problem on the newer models. As long as you don't rush the crossing there shouldn't be any problems. This old truck has done hundreds of crossings like this with no issues. Having said that I now drive an Xtrail (hang my head!) and I do tarp the front when going through water, but wouldn't attempt or even think of this crossing in one of those!
FollowupID: 755823

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 17:37

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 17:37
Thanks Cruiserhj47. Yes, I missed the snorkel on the passenger side. It really is amazing that there can be water over the bonnet, yet not enough at the fan to deflect the blades into the radiator. Yet, as you say, and as others can testify too, it does happen that way.

I take it that it is you at the wheel in this video, or that you know the truck and driver and are very familiar with what is happening here. Would you care to tell us what procedures you follow when faced with this sort of water crossing - what preparation (extend the diff and gearbox breathers? check snorkel attachment? fit tarp to bull bar so as to extend back under engine? etc ), and how you drive it - steady and once committed there's no turning back (?). I'm sure many here would welcome informed advice on just how we should approach a water crossing.

Cheers

John

J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 755832

Reply By: Member Boroma 604 - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 09:30

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 09:30
Gooday,
Yes i admit is fascinating viewing, however it the light of how many people have lost their lives in wet crossings in the past couple of months I do question the wisdom of putting this on public view.
I realise the person knew the conditions well but it will encourage the 'Brain Dead', of which there is s growth industry to replicate the feat in flooded conditions.
Just my thoughts.
Cheers,
Boroma604.
AnswerID: 480138

Follow Up By: cruiserhj47 - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 14:55

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 14:55
Like your comment about encouraging the "brain dead". Unfortunately there is no way around this!

The road was open to 4wds, indeed Parks staff (government employees) regularly use the road even when its deeper though not sure if this is still the case. The video is from 10 years ago!

If you read the info with the video you will note that I made a point about water crossings in that there are far more things to assess than just the depth.(speed, depth, bottom condition, exit points, crocodiles etc) At this crossing the speed of the water (and hence the risk of being pushed downstream) varies according to whether its early or late wet season.

Just wish I had the camera during the really exciting (aka stupid) crossings!

Thanks for commenting
FollowupID: 755826

Sponsored Links